Cigna

Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani
David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management (in 54 reviews)

• You can work from home if you choose to and it works to your advantage (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority (in 17 reviews)

• terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Internship Experience as Software Developer

Former Employee - Applications Developer  in  Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Windsor, CT

I worked at Cigna as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There was definitely a good work-life balance when I worked there. Granted, I was just an intern, but I never felt like those around me were too stressed out with working very much off normal hours.

Cons

A ton of bureaucracy as is expected of an organization of this size. Most people that I know had to wait 3 weeks before getting developer rights to do any actual developer work on their machines.

It paid the bills.

I worked at Cigna

Pros

People are committed and energetic. Many opportunities for training & career growth. Pay is above average for entry-level positions.

Cons

Lack of flexibility in taking time off. Micromanaged. Poor benefit plans offered to employees. High turn-over negatively affected office culture. Constant restructuring of teams & products.

Great Company

Current Employee - Underwriter  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management, benefits, flexible hours

Cons

Long hours and high stress during busy season

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunities for Movement

Current Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to move around to different roles within the company every few years, which keeps work interesting. Competitive compensation.

Cons

As I've seen with many large companies - need to deal with 'corporate politics' & can be lots of red tape when trying to deliver your project.

The company needs to change its processes / approach to work so it can be more nimble & enable it's employees to deliver quicker.

Good work life balance but not a very fulfilling

Current Employee - TECDP Program Associate
    Current Employee - TECDP Program Associate

I have been working at Cigna full-time

Pros

Work from home, flexible hours, good work life balance, good 401k match and generous vesting rules, access to upper management for TECDP

Cons

healthcare plans way too expensive, no real company subsidized benefits/perks, TECDP program not really technical but more business frat like. Associates are required to run and plan administrative functions like networking events and recruiting which distracts from actual technical part of the job. Too much politics and your performance is partially determined by feedback from your peers. Performance seems to be based on how well known your name is within the program for taking on mostly non-technical project managing tasks such as planning a training event. Even though you are an adult now, the program managers expect you to drop your life and go to mandatory training sessions for no good reason. These training sessions are not technical in nature but rather include presentations on general company propaganda or vague IT buzzwords like DevOps or big data.

Provide more actual role-based technical training and guidance.

Opprotunity

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate  in  Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

While there is a lot of room for growth within the company some people worthy of it do get passed over due to favoritism. Some have worked hard and it is not paying off. If you play the game you will move. Work life balance and the managers working with you in the event of something unexpected happening is amazing.

Cons

being passed over for opportunities after working towards goals managers set for you and having others picked who put less work in. The health benefits are not the best either, which is funny since we offer them, I have worked on accounts that have better benefits than i do. It's a huge let down and hit to moral.

This company needed a shakeup to select better managers especially in technology area

Current Employee - Health Data Specialist  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Health Data Specialist in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits were pretty good (2008-2010) though they gave nobody any raises due to the financial meltdown.

Cons

The technology support and access to necessary tools and databases was pretty poor. The solution was getting to know the right people (very mid-20th century solution). Equipment and software was not up to date. Many long hours spent working through the technology issues.

Stop rewarding the "old guard" and bring up new talented managers. There is no reason to allow managers to work from home full time. This leads to favoritism and to communication failures. Bring in better management talent!

Technologist

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to work from home occasionally.

Cons

No Work life Balance
    Benefits Package could be better.
    Good Ole boy system
    Lack of Diversity in key positions

Hire more staff

Great temp gig.

Former Employee - Prior Authorization Specialist  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Prior Authorization Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cigna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job for a decent amount of money. Entry level for certified pharmacy techs.

Cons

Cubicle job at it's finest. Sit in a box, answer the phone, type the conversation into the program on the computer in front of you. Repeat.

They also let temps go with NO warning. "Don't come in tomorrow, we're all set." I wasn't even allowed to get all of my stuff back from my desk. One of at least 5 people they chopped spur of the moment.

Senior Care Associate

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate  in  Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate in Pitts, PA

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great co workers, not bad pay

Cons

high case loads, poor benefits for employees, not much room for advancement.

do not micro manage employees

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!