Cigna Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
678 reviews filtered by

1. Cigna is a mature professional employer.

Current Employee - Systems Analysis Senior Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Systems Analysis Senior Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Structured. Recruit above average IT talent. Healthy work life balance.

Cons

With a company so large, it can be easy to feel like a tiny fish in a big pond. Work with your manager to align your current work or education with your long term career goals.

2. Office was one group with different plans so I learned a lot. Everyone helped each other with questions.

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company intranet was great,user friendly.
    Overtime if you wanted it.Management worked with us to reach goals.

Cons

high deductible health plan,but cost was low. No work from home.

Continue to help your staff reach goals, give them tools, remove obstacles, etc and you'll get your numbers.

3. Work/Life Balance in Dallas office could use some work

I have been working at Cigna full-time

Pros

Flexible work arrangements in other work locations

Cons

Flexible work arrangements vary according to location
    Some employees in Dallas office with managers in other locations are able to work from work
    Employees with managers in Dallas office are unable to work from home
    Special treatment with certain employees
    High turnover rate

Treat your employees equally and offer work from home options or flexible schedules...such as 10hrs a day 4 days a week...rather then 8hrs a day 5 days a week

5. Strong disconnect between written policies and whats actually being practiced.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no Pros. Cigna provides no career development and deter employees that strive to build their career.

Cons

Completely mislead in interview with ability to work from home and even worse bonus structure. Offer letter stated bonus eligible but manager said I did not qualify because I was too new. Questioned Performance Review process to Director, HR, and manager none of them could explain how bonuses are decided and what the criteria was. My review and other team members were copy and pasted into the comment section just with Names changed. Director supported manager and stated this is a standard practice.

Management is awful. 1on1's are worthless and cannot provide answers to detailed questions about compensation and reviews. Provide no incentive or motivation to work hard because performance reviews are not personalized and provide no feedback on strengths or weaknesses, areas to improve, or proper steps going forward to improve grading.

6. Overall a good company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Denison, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Denison, TX

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, great benefits, growth potential

Cons

For my particular position it was tough because I'm a very outdoorsy person and I worked in the call center . The job is a good one.

7. Overall this was a good place to work.

Former Employee - App Development Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - App Development Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at Cigna

Pros

The company allows employees to work from home for many positions. The pay is competitive. The employee retention rate is good. The work environment was pleasant.

Cons

As with many companies, promotions can be hard to get unless you are willing to leave and come back. I did not think the benefits package was as good as it ought to be.

8. Care for customers, just not employees.

Former Employee - New Business Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - New Business Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, PTO, work-life were all positives. I made great money for a long time here & believed I was truly part of a family for the 1st 5 years of my career with Cigna.

Cons

When the market changed due to Health Care Reform and times got tough, disengagement set in. Leadership didn't know how to fix it and focused only on profit, making work in the field extremely difficult. My immediate boss made a lot of promises he couldn't keep and when he was questioned about fulfilling those promises and reasons for decisions, he became defensive and I lost trust in him throughout the process. Feeling like I should get HR involved crossed my mind several times, but feared he would be fired and didn't want that responsibility. Instead he found a mistake on my part and filed for my termination. HR treated me like a criminal and my 8 year successful sales career was over in the blink of an eye.

Good people make mistakes under poor management, and solutions are easily found with engagement and efforts from leadership. But consistent character issues in people who have been put in leadership positions are going to be the downfall of this organization.

9. Very enjoyable and flexible work environment.

I have been working at Cigna

Pros

Great work/life balance and excellent senior leadership.

Cons

I have not been dissapointed in any areas of the company.

10. Good Place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Care Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Care Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The location, some of the benefits. opportunity to work from home, pay, vacation, and some co-worrkers

Cons

Health Benefits and some co-worker

Should listen to the employee's who work underneath you.

11. run to the hills

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Cigna

Pros

vacation days no nights no weekends paid holiday

Cons

health benefits--get on welfare its better work at home--for a company that promotes it and wants you to be at home, good luck my boss and upper management says no they need people on house to stuff letters into envelopes, its more of a controlled thing then trust. dont go over their heads, they will talk about you behind your back. hiring people with no experience but pay them way more than you make.

look at the guidelines, the use of the ethics line--thats such a joke and waste of time. instead of preaching values--actually do what you preach. ADA guidelines, im thinking about contacting lawyer for legal advice on what your ethic people said to me on the phone. the CEO, maybe stop lining your pockets with millions of dollars and give raises to everyone like the ceo of aetna did to get.