Cigna

Updated August 15, 2014

3.2

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani
David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management (in 54 reviews)

• You can work from home if you choose to and it works to your advantage (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority (in 17 reviews)

• terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible

Current Employee - Claims Processor  in  Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Scranton, PA

Pros

Vacation days vacation days holidays

Cons

Long hours, pay raises are a joke! Work your butt off and no appreciation from upper management. The CEO, his base salary 12 million, must be nice. The four percent they are taking from our pay, increase in benefits. I dont understand how a customer with xyz company can pay almost zero every two weeks while the ceo gang rapes us with our insurance. The moral of the department im in, its do much tension, eyes down no talking or the nun will slap your fingers with a ruler. All the big wigs, take a paycut, shop at thrift store and get your food from a food bank. You are putting your employees in the poor house

All need to be fired! You all are money hungry selfish people. Look at the people who are keeping the company afloat

Jun 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

Cigna puts customers and employees first. As with any large organization, employees can have different perspectives. We seek out the best talent, offer competitive wages, and care about delivering a ... More

Employees Cigna local Plus health plan is horrible. Its Obama care.

Current Employee - Medical  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Medical in Plano, TX

Pros

Convenient location. Nice new building. Good co workers at the Plano location. I enjoy the field that I
    specialize in at Cigna.

Cons

It appears that the company cares little about their employees. The only health plan offered is a Obama care
    plan that they call Cigna local Plus. Doctors and treatments are extremely hard to find. When you
    call they say Oh you have Obama Care we don't take it or you can see us as a self pay but we will
    not bill Cigna. My wife has worked there for years and this year Cigna changed to this pitiful plan.
    Shame on you Cigna.

Treat your employees decent. At least offer a alternate plan that may cost more but at least your
    employees and their family can get care.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Claims Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Large Corporation. Diverse. Works hard at work/life balance

Cons

Lack of direction. Largely inefficient

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great internal training program when I was hired right out of college. Cigna allowed me to pursue varying career paths within multiple different business units so that I could gain a broader understanding of how our company operates. This freedom has allowed me to be a more confident employee and better serve my customers.

Cons

Working for such a large company with several different business units (medical, dental, pharmacy, international, life/disability) can prove cumbersome at times. When looking to bring change or respond to immediate client needs there can be a bit of red tape you need to work through in order to enact any change.

None at this time

great place to work

Pros

has good work life balance

Cons

it is good company at the start of the career

A large company with a small company feel

Pros

-- Good work/life balance
    -- Opportunities for advancement
    -- Commitment to diversity, LGBTQ issues and market innovation.

Cons

-- Salaries are often below market. The formula they use to calculate raises is high math.
    -- Difficult to get recognize in a competitive environment.

Honestly, in my 20+ years of work life, I've never met a better group of managers than the ones I've enjoyed at Cigna. They are competent, hard-working and always available. I definitely feel there is an open-door policy with all levels of management.

Jun 13, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

Thank you for your insightful feedback!

Senior Claims Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Claims Analyst  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Good people, good leadership. Plenty of support in career development and advancement. Options to work remotely.

Cons

PTO and sick pay come from the same bucket and gets used up quickly if anything catastrophic happens.

Better communication with employees regarding what goals are expected of them.

Typical large company with all the positives and negatives that come with it

Former Employee - Architecture Manager  in  Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Architecture Manager in Bloomfield, CT

Pros

Diversified product mix should help stock value and business levels. Excellent expansion internationally. Decent culture - people are generally respectful. Experiencing a period of relative success which creates opportunity via new products, projects, etc. Excellent recognition programs; good comp.

Cons

They offer only a high-deductible health plan to the bulk of their employees; expect to pay a larger percentage of healthcare cost.
    Can be quite cliquish at times with decisions made by rumor vs. facts.
    Business is often conducted in large conference calls.
    While not unusual for its size, typical politics occur which may help or hamper your particular role or project. Your work experience can vary greatly depending on the management in your particular area.

Unleash the innovation that lies within your employee base - create programs that support and encourage employees to create new products, processes, services (outside their normal job responsibilities) and hold an annual award event to recognize the best contributions.

Jun 13, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

Thank you for your feedback. Cigna is very innovative organization and promotes it by having contests throughout the year asking employees to provide suggestions and ideas on how to improve the ... More

Accounting Senior Specialists at Cigna

Current Employee - Accounting Senior Specialist
    Current Employee - Accounting Senior Specialist

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Benefits are not that great considering Cigna is a Health Insurance company. Cigna recently acquired HealthSpring Inc. and the integration process has been a nightmare. HR support is non-existing at Cigna; everything is supposed to be self-service via their intranet site. Information is hard to find and management is left with the full responsibility of learning, understanding and interpreting HR regulations. All of the HS titles were "converted" to the Cigna structure. Where you had a manager's title under HS; you are a suddenly a "Specialists" under Cigna. Responsibilities remained the same except that you had instantly received a demotion.

Appreciate the hard work of your employees and make HR personel available as support network to management and all other personel.

Great experience.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

Pros

Good people and great direction.

Cons

Big company. Sometimes hard for clients to navigate to the right department for services.

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!