Cigna

Cigna Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani

David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management (in 54 reviews)

• You can work from home if you choose to and it works to your advantage (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority (in 17 reviews)

• terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits, I loved the job.

Network Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat vacation I started with 3 weeks from day one. Benefits used to be better, now they have increased as most have. I was able to learn and move up a little with the company.

ConsMany departments were being shut down and jobs eliminated. I was in school and they laid me off I think because of it without notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open and honest with employees.

Stay Clear of the Cigna-HealthSpring Pre-Cert Department in Hoover, Alabama

Care Coordinator RN (Current Employee) Hoover, AL

ProsVery good health benefits that begin from day one of employment. Fellow employees are great to work with.

ConsHigh work load. High stress. No bonuses. Extremely restrictive environment. Low morale. Time-off is scarce. Mandatory overtime. Mandatory weekends. No work/life balance. Extremely high employee turn-over rate. New employees are not trained well or consistently. Many new employees are not given the correct tools or skill sets to do the job properly. Inexperienced middle management that relies heavily upon micro-managing, intimidation, favoritism, spies and verbal abuse (yelling and screaming at individual staff behind office doors). In addition, there is currently an LPN managing/supervising RN/BSNs. Current management does not allow employees to get up from their desks at appropriate intervals, risking the health and well being of their staff.

Technical Support

Technical Support Manager- Incident Manager (Former Employee) Windsor, CT

ProsThere will always be jobs because they troubleshoot for hours and have the worst designed systems

ConsLongest problem solving in IT groups. Technical systems are convoluted and senseless.

Advice to Senior Managementhire a real Infrastructure and Technical support leader. Treat the employees better and with respect. Give management interpersonal skills training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst company I have ever worked for

CSA (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe only good thing is the pay

ConsInsurane is horrible...mandatory overtime..coworkers are ignorant...you have to tolerate horrible customers ....this was the worst employee insurance I ever had...do not care about their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTell consumers the truth..dont lie to consumers just to get their business

Get out as fast as you can.

Case Coordinator (Current Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsDecent salaries for recent grads. Usually hire great people.

ConsLower level management is full of micro-managers who have no idea how to manage people. The level of favoritism by management is off the charts. If your manager does not like you, better start looking for another job because they will find a way to fire you. Managers prefer brown nosers and promote their own friends. Do not have a traditional HR so hard to get concrete information on various policies as they are given to you piecemeal by your manager. If you having issues with someone you are expected to go to your manager and if you are having an issue with your manager you are discouraged to going higher up. No ability to move up in the company if you are not a licensed staff and if your non-licensed staff than you are treated as being disposable. The only jobs available for non-licensed staff are ones where they are assisting licensed staff which essentially mean being their servants and doing almost everything for them up to the point of completely doing their jobs for them. Managers pretend that your opinion matters but then just disregard it and give you a hard time if you do bring up issues in front of others. Lastly, company cares more about profits than their customers as their level of care guidelines makes getting authorization hard for facilities and the policies in place make it hard to actually assist them. It will only be a matter of time before there is a public backlash against them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent managers who are not extreme micro-managers and promote the right people- not those who are their friends. Treat non-licensed staff just as well as licensed. Have an actual HR.

Extremely stressful and management can be clueless

Applications Developer (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsDecent salary, just beats unemployment

ConsDealing with last minute meetings, constant change in direction, office politics, clueless domain expertise in management

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you must micromanage your people, at least choose the important issues to micromanage.

Great company but not much room for advancement.

Client Account Support Associate (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI could always get time off when needed. Great peers.

ConsPersonal growth was limited and pay seemed minimal when compared to other companies.

Disappointing

Claims Specialist (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsLarge Corporation. Diverse. Works hard at work/life balance

ConsLack of direction. Largely inefficient

Good benefits and long term incentives

Senior Architect Specialist (Current Employee) Bloomfield, CT

ProsWork Life balance.
    Work from home option (depends on department).

ConsIf you do good work, you own a lot.
    Communication gap between higher management and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementEach department seems like working and controlled in their own way be respective heads. Absence of enterprise level consistent practices.
    Also there is not enough accountability of budget being allocated to large projects, lots of rework for the same business goals just with new name but same results every time.

Horrible

Claims Processor (Current Employee) Scranton, PA

ProsVacation days vacation days holidays

ConsLong hours, pay raises are a joke! Work your butt off and no appreciation from upper management. The CEO, his base salary 12 million, must be nice. The four percent they are taking from our pay, increase in benefits. I dont understand how a customer with xyz company can pay almost zero every two weeks while the ceo gang rapes us with our insurance. The moral of the department im in, its do much tension, eyes down no talking or the nun will slap your fingers with a ruler. All the big wigs, take a paycut, shop at thrift store and get your food from a food bank. You are putting your employees in the poor house

Advice to Senior ManagementAll need to be fired! You all are money hungry selfish people. Look at the people who are keeping the company afloat

Cigna Response

Jun 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

Cigna puts customers and employees first. As with any large organization, employees can have different perspectives. We seek out the best talent, offer competitive wages, and care about delivering a ... More

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!