Cigna Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
681 reviews filtered by

Frustrated by culture, stymied by management!

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

David Cordani has a vision, which he can articulate, like no other CEO. He is inspiring to listen to, whether it be in quarterly town hall meetings or regular videos that he distributes to the business. He empowers the employees to be and make change. However…(see cons)...

Cons

Below David, for several layers of management, it was not about the overall journey…it is about protecting their own space, their own salary/perks, and their own job. Many of the middle and senior managers in the organization do not have the knowledge or experience to lead the rest of the organization on the journey that has been laid out. That leaves lower management, supervisors, and individual contributors spinning in circles, spending time doing meaningless work, waiting endlessly for resources, manpower, or IT projects that usually don't arrive. However, at the end of the year, mediocre performance against lax objectives gives management an opportunity to tell everyone how great a year it was, while shafting the worker-bes.

Middle management and corporate bureaucracy are huge detractors for this company. Bring in better managers focused on value-based work supporting the overall vision of the company and get rid of the managers who are just passing time or passing the buck. Objective, performance-based annual goals the require action should be entrenched in the culture, rather than brought out only once or twice a year. This would force everyone to do something at work each day that would make a difference and just not suck 8 hours of life out of every employee.

2. Ineffective and Highly disorganized!

Current Employee - Business Project Manager in Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Business Project Manager in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Reasonsble Salar and flexible working arrangements

Cons

Leadership does not empower their direct reports to use good judgement, make sensible decisions and use developed skills for the purpose of Achieving Team and company goals.

Take leadership courses and empower your workers to work for you!

Great company in a very profitable industry. Many long term veterans. Limited upward mobility.

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Greenwood Village, CO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Greenwood Village, CO

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance. Challenging projects. Professional colleagues and supportive upper management. Great benefits and very stable, growing industry. Work across geographies.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. Organizational changes aren't always communicated. People may leave or change roles and it is not communicated. Legacy systems are too numerous. Business processes are not documented and each project that comes along seems to be charged with capturing what should already be documented.

5. Cigna is a mature professional employer.

Current Employee - Systems Analysis Senior Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Systems Analysis Senior Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Structured. Recruit above average IT talent. Healthy work life balance.

Cons

With a company so large, it can be easy to feel like a tiny fish in a big pond. Work with your manager to align your current work or education with your long term career goals.

6. Office was one group with different plans so I learned a lot. Everyone helped each other with questions.

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company intranet was great,user friendly.
    Overtime if you wanted it.Management worked with us to reach goals.

Cons

high deductible health plan,but cost was low. No work from home.

Continue to help your staff reach goals, give them tools, remove obstacles, etc and you'll get your numbers.

7. Work/Life Balance in Dallas office could use some work

I have been working at Cigna full-time

Pros

Flexible work arrangements in other work locations

Cons

Flexible work arrangements vary according to location
    Some employees in Dallas office with managers in other locations are able to work from work
    Employees with managers in Dallas office are unable to work from home
    Special treatment with certain employees
    High turnover rate

Treat your employees equally and offer work from home options or flexible schedules...such as 10hrs a day 4 days a week...rather then 8hrs a day 5 days a week

8. Strong disconnect between written policies and whats actually being practiced.

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no Pros. Cigna provides no career development and deter employees that strive to build their career.

Cons

Completely mislead in interview with ability to work from home and even worse bonus structure. Offer letter stated bonus eligible but manager said I did not qualify because I was too new. Questioned Performance Review process to Director, HR, and manager none of them could explain how bonuses are decided and what the criteria was. My review and other team members were copy and pasted into the comment section just with Names changed. Director supported manager and stated this is a standard practice.

Management is awful. 1on1's are worthless and cannot provide answers to detailed questions about compensation and reviews. Provide no incentive or motivation to work hard because performance reviews are not personalized and provide no feedback on strengths or weaknesses, areas to improve, or proper steps going forward to improve grading.

9. Overall a good company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Denison, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Denison, TX

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, great benefits, growth potential

Cons

For my particular position it was tough because I'm a very outdoorsy person and I worked in the call center . The job is a good one.

10. Overall this was a good place to work.

Former Employee - App Development Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - App Development Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at Cigna

Pros

The company allows employees to work from home for many positions. The pay is competitive. The employee retention rate is good. The work environment was pleasant.

Cons

As with many companies, promotions can be hard to get unless you are willing to leave and come back. I did not think the benefits package was as good as it ought to be.

11. Care for customers, just not employees.

Former Employee - New Business Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - New Business Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, PTO, work-life were all positives. I made great money for a long time here & believed I was truly part of a family for the 1st 5 years of my career with Cigna.

Cons

When the market changed due to Health Care Reform and times got tough, disengagement set in. Leadership didn't know how to fix it and focused only on profit, making work in the field extremely difficult. My immediate boss made a lot of promises he couldn't keep and when he was questioned about fulfilling those promises and reasons for decisions, he became defensive and I lost trust in him throughout the process. Feeling like I should get HR involved crossed my mind several times, but feared he would be fired and didn't want that responsibility. Instead he found a mistake on my part and filed for my termination. HR treated me like a criminal and my 8 year successful sales career was over in the blink of an eye.

Good people make mistakes under poor management, and solutions are easily found with engagement and efforts from leadership. But consistent character issues in people who have been put in leadership positions are going to be the downfall of this organization.