Cigna

Employer Engaged

Dynamic Organization

Current Employee - Business Project Manager
    Current Employee - Business Project Manager

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for Process Innovation and Improvement overall
    Teleworking opportunities
    Consumer Friendly Communications

Cons

Highly Disorganized
    Poor Process Infrastructure
    Ineffective Leadership
    Inability to effectively design, execute and maintain process architecture and employee engagment/improvements

Leadership - focus less on maintaining control of management process, and engage employee talent more effectively to target and exceed your overall company objectives.

Invest and put forth efforts in improving the well-being of your employees!

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible work schedule, no micromanagement, high income potential, strong value story through broad range of product offerings geared towards improving health and wealth-being for their customers. Ability for high achievers to excel in the company. I have met some of the hardest working people in the industry at this company!

Cons

Lower level employees are viewed as people who work FOR you, rather than people who work WITH you. Training program for Account Management needs major improvements. For a huge and successful company, I didn't expect to see such a disconnect across business functional areas. Internal partners did not speak the same language throughout the company. Cigna seemed to have nothing but broken internal processes in place and management's intervention wasn't always helpful or productive. Some leaders simply responded by pointing fingers or with some sort of Band-Aid approach, a short term solution for some pretty permanent workflow challenges. Oh, and IT support was unbelievably insufficient and lacking. If you are a candidate interested in working at Cigna: I must forewarn that if you are accustomed to working efficiently and getting things done timely, you may be in for some future struggles...

Great company philosophy but need stronger leaders to execute on company vision. Develop some training programs, offer some guidance for new employees, foster an environment for employee growth & development. Put forth efforts in improving health and well-being for your employees, not just your customers...especially, if they are the ones supporting your company's mission statement. I had never encountered such a large number of employees who were unhappy, felt undervalued, overworked, or had no work-life balance at a company prior to joining Cigna...and I had a position with uncapped income potential. Performance Reviews are worthless if your employees are guided in copying and pasting vs properly utilizing the developmental tool and don't solicit employee feedback if you are going to punish them for speaking freely and honestly.
    Also, please invest in some technology!!

Positive, though flawed, experience

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Nashville, TN
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cigna as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

-People around the office were positive and friendly.
    -The pay was decent.
    -Hours were flexible.

Cons

-Little to no performance feedback generated a sense of indifference.
    -While 'customer service' was touted as the cornerstone of the company philosophy, there was a certain tongue-in-cheek sense that it had hardly mattered so much as the bottom line. Nothing wrong with the bottom line really, but why be self-loathingly quiet about it?

-Shoot straight with subordinates. The answer doesn't always have to be 'Yes, you are doing fine.'
    -More coordination/communication among roles may lead to a greater congruity of understanding standards and streamline processes.

The environment is very stressful.

Former Employee - Customer Service Operations in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Operations in Nashville, TN

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay and option to work at home. Coworkers have the same situation all over. Lots of camaraderie within teams.

Cons

Customer service management is horrible and disorganized. They do not care about employees and show lots of favoritism. Hire people who have no knowledge of healthcare and provide horrible customer service which causes complaints from members. There are only woman in upper management which turns everything into a blame game and power trip frenzy. Such a sad department.

Get a life and stop being greedy. Stop showing favoritism and show more organization.

LTD or STD---- It's not worth it!

Current Employee - Claims Manager II in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Manager II in Plano, TX

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work scheduling (depending on your team leader)
    Pay is ok if only if you're entry-level (1st job) and rewards are helpful if you're fit, i.e. Healthy Life rewards
    Nurse Practitioner on site so basic care can be done for free
    Training classes are a sufficient amount of time to prepare for the positions

Cons

Team Leaders are among the least-working here, environment not cnducive to mental health as managers pile on more than CM's can handle but don't offer help. Regional managers make very weak attempts at building team morale onlywhen clients or potential clients come to visit. Turn-over is of the highest I have ever seen at any company so when workload is transferred management still does not help. Benefts are horrendous and very expensive. It's a good ol' boy system--if you know someone and he/she is a mnager, you'll go far..who cares about your experience? Also there is a lack of empathy for our customers--Cigna preaches empathy but our leaders care about bringng customers and premiums only, after they sign on they curse our clients' names.

Value what Cigna values- people. We aren't getting paid well so at least attempt to build morale. If we are sinking help us, care as much as you say you do and help us. When we are drowning in work give us a hand. Stop favoring certain people and be fair to us all. Turn-over will continue to be high until you bring back what Cigna used to be-- a Company that truly cares about the employees and customer. Also training classes are great but online work didn't help for real live claim operations--off cycle hirees perform better. Model the Eden Praire, Pitsburgh, and Glendale offices..they understand and for that employees in those locations love it and stay with the company.

Pretty Decent Place to Work!

Former Employee - Director in Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Director in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at Cigna

Pros

- Very smart, dedicated employees
    - Strong financial results / stable employer
    - Committed to improving Healthcare information and accessibility. Strong commitment to customers.
    - Salary and benefits are competitive

Cons

- Work / Life balance is challenge for many areas (however, this is pretty typical of every workplace today!)
    - Not enough salary bands/levels to promote within / hard to attract top talent

STD CM Job = Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Short Term Disability Claim Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Short Term Disability Claim Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Cigna full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plano Texas has an amazing facility. Gym, doctors office, catered cafeteria, and other perks on site

Cons

I worked on average 10 hours of unpaid overtime a week and was never caught up. My boss was the worst micro manager I've ever encountered. It was culturally like high school. Your work was less important than who you sucked up to for advancement.

This was the worst job I've ever had!!! At least half the people I started with washed out within a year. There is a reason they are always hiring STD claim managers. Don't take this job unless you have no other options!!!

Stop running a sweat shop! If you put such a rediculous work load on your people, maybe you should pay them when they have to work over time.

Too big for its own good. Good product offering but multiple layers of staff out weighs the good.

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Global company with many products that can fit many scenario's. Recognized and respected. Tier 1 healthcare company.

Cons

So large that you feel this company moves too slow for its own good. Timing on many issues are slowed due to the layers of departments you need to go through or involved. Resources for those that work day-to-day with clients / customers can be improved considering how lacking they are. Limits on email storage, lack of Adobe software, reporting that is an apple to an orange for the clients consideration based on the vertical you are in.

Gauge the field and then deploy change. Often the folks in the field are offered surveys but little to no reaction to those surveys seem to happen. Hold local management more responsible - to be visible and interacting in the role they are assigned. The shop is literally being handled by the staff while the manager level is literally absent and so called in-meetings, yet none of these meetings involve the staff or clients - ever. Better results will come from better people at this level. When will you look at the top down?

Cigna is okay

Former Employee - Architect in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Architect in Hartford, CT

I worked at Cigna

Pros

Room for growth, tools to help career.

Cons

Home and work balance is very hard to accomplish with Cigna protocol.

Increased pay or a hard line at 40 hours per week, not 50 to 60.

ok

Current Employee - Senior Benefits Analyst in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Senior Benefits Analyst in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Cigna full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

able to work at home

Cons

hard to get time off, salary is ahhhh at best, sick and vacation time are the same