Cigna

Updated September 14, 2014
3.2

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani
David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management (in 54 reviews)

• You can work from home if you choose to and it works to your advantage (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority (in 17 reviews)

• terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewards For Performance is a Joke

Current Employee - Senior Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great Tuition Reimbursement

- Flexible work from home arrangements

- Oppotunities to try new roles

Cons

- Pay is low and the "rewards for performance" strategy doesn't actually work. Telling employees that they need to be in their role for 3-5 years before they will be paid 90% of a fair wage is a horrible practice. I have been on my current team for two years and have gotten the highest possible performance rating both years, but I won't reach reach the "Market Value" that Cigna told me I'm worth for another 4 years. Knowing that I am a high performer and could make 15-20k more elsewhere, why should I stay?

- For non-hourly roles, pay is not differentiated based on location. If you live somewhere with high cost of living, your pay will not be adjusted.

- If you are brought into Cigna through an acquisition, integration will be slow or non-existent. Don't expect IT or operations support, but be prepared for external partners to hold you to a higher standard.

- Don't make employees wait 3-5 years to earn what their work is worth. You will continue to lose top talent.

- Make integration about more than paperwork standardization.

- Add locality pay to the compensation strategy.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Claims Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large Corporation. Diverse. Works hard at work/life balance

Cons

Lack of direction. Largely inefficient

Extremely stressful and management can be clueless

Former Employee - Applications Developer  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent salary, just beats unemployment

Cons

Dealing with last minute meetings, constant change in direction, office politics, clueless domain expertise in management

If you must micromanage your people, at least choose the important issues to micromanage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company but not much room for advancement.

Current Employee - Client Account Support Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Account Support Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I could always get time off when needed. Great peers.

Cons

Personal growth was limited and pay seemed minimal when compared to other companies.

Horrible

Current Employee - Claims Processor  in  Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Processor in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Vacation days vacation days holidays

Cons

Long hours, pay raises are a joke! Work your butt off and no appreciation from upper management. The CEO, his base salary 12 million, must be nice. The four percent they are taking from our pay, increase in benefits. I dont understand how a customer with xyz company can pay almost zero every two weeks while the ceo gang rapes us with our insurance. The moral of the department im in, its do much tension, eyes down no talking or the nun will slap your fingers with a ruler. All the big wigs, take a paycut, shop at thrift store and get your food from a food bank. You are putting your employees in the poor house

All need to be fired! You all are money hungry selfish people. Look at the people who are keeping the company afloat

Cigna Response

Jun 9, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

Cigna puts customers and employees first. As with any large organization, employees can have different perspectives. We seek out the best talent, offer competitive wages, and care about delivering a ... More

Employees Cigna local Plus health plan is horrible. Its Obama care.

Current Employee - Medical  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Medical in Plano, TX

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Convenient location. Nice new building. Good co workers at the Plano location. I enjoy the field that I
    specialize in at Cigna.

Cons

It appears that the company cares little about their employees. The only health plan offered is a Obama care
    plan that they call Cigna local Plus. Doctors and treatments are extremely hard to find. When you
    call they say Oh you have Obama Care we don't take it or you can see us as a self pay but we will
    not bill Cigna. My wife has worked there for years and this year Cigna changed to this pitiful plan.
    Shame on you Cigna.

Treat your employees decent. At least offer a alternate plan that may cost more but at least your
    employees and their family can get care.

Good benefits and long term incentives

Current Employee - Senior Architect Specialist  in  Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Architect Specialist in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work Life balance.
    Work from home option (depends on department).

Cons

If you do good work, you own a lot.
    Communication gap between higher management and staff.

Each department seems like working and controlled in their own way be respective heads. Absence of enterprise level consistent practices.
    Also there is not enough accountability of budget being allocated to large projects, lots of rework for the same business goals just with new name but same results every time.

Medical Nurse Case Manager

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work environment, work at home option.

Cons

Be prepared to work, expectations are very, very high.

Heads-down, CYA work ethos makes it difficult to improve processes

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Bloomfield, CT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bloomfield, CT

I have been working at Cigna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people to work with, I haven't encountered any slackers. The average age of my fellow employees is pretty high, indicating that the company is not picking the low-hanging fruit on the pay ladder. Working from home is readily permitted if the position allows it.

Cons

Really poor interdepartmental communication and followup. Handing off a task to someone in another department requires repeated follow-ups to insure the task is handled. Improving processes is difficult because every employee is loaded with work, so they (a) don't have time for strategic planning and (b) don't have the time or inclination to learn new ways of doing things. A horrible implementation of Agile Project Management methodology has resulted in everyone feeling under the gun, all the time.

Read Jim Collins' Built to Last. Take care of your employees first, and they'll take care of your customers in the same way. Hire enough people that your employees don't feel like they have to put in 10 hour days to get just the baseline work finished.

A great place to work

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great internal training program when I was hired right out of college. Cigna allowed me to pursue varying career paths within multiple different business units so that I could gain a broader understanding of how our company operates. This freedom has allowed me to be a more confident employee and better serve my customers.

Cons

Working for such a large company with several different business units (medical, dental, pharmacy, international, life/disability) can prove cumbersome at times. When looking to bring change or respond to immediate client needs there can be a bit of red tape you need to work through in order to enact any change.

None at this time

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!