Cigna

Updated September 12, 2014
3.2

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani
David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management (in 54 reviews)

• You can work from home if you choose to and it works to your advantage (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority (in 17 reviews)

• terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people and great direction.

Cons

Big company. Sometimes hard for clients to navigate to the right department for services.

Typical large company with all the positives and negatives that come with it

Former Employee - Architecture Manager  in  Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Architecture Manager in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Diversified product mix should help stock value and business levels. Excellent expansion internationally. Decent culture - people are generally respectful. Experiencing a period of relative success which creates opportunity via new products, projects, etc. Excellent recognition programs; good comp.

Cons

They offer only a high-deductible health plan to the bulk of their employees; expect to pay a larger percentage of healthcare cost.
    Can be quite cliquish at times with decisions made by rumor vs. facts.
    Business is often conducted in large conference calls.
    While not unusual for its size, typical politics occur which may help or hamper your particular role or project. Your work experience can vary greatly depending on the management in your particular area.

Unleash the innovation that lies within your employee base - create programs that support and encourage employees to create new products, processes, services (outside their normal job responsibilities) and hold an annual award event to recognize the best contributions.

Cigna Response

Jun 13, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

Thank you for your feedback. Cigna is very innovative organization and promotes it by having contests throughout the year asking employees to provide suggestions and ideas on how to improve the ... More

Good benefits, I loved the job.

Former Employee - Network Analyst
    Former Employee - Network Analyst

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great vacation I started with 3 weeks from day one. Benefits used to be better, now they have increased as most have. I was able to learn and move up a little with the company.

Cons

Many departments were being shut down and jobs eliminated. I was in school and they laid me off I think because of it without notice.

Be more open and honest with employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay Clear of the Cigna-HealthSpring Pre-Cert Department in Hoover, Alabama

Current Employee - Care Coordinator RN  in  Hoover, AL
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator RN in Hoover, AL

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good health benefits that begin from day one of employment. Fellow employees are great to work with.

Cons

High work load. High stress. No bonuses. Extremely restrictive environment. Low morale. Time-off is scarce. Mandatory overtime. Mandatory weekends. No work/life balance. Extremely high employee turn-over rate. New employees are not trained well or consistently. Many new employees are not given the correct tools or skill sets to do the job properly. Inexperienced middle management that relies heavily upon micro-managing, intimidation, favoritism, spies and verbal abuse (yelling and screaming at individual staff behind office doors). In addition, there is currently an LPN managing/supervising RN/BSNs. Current management does not allow employees to get up from their desks at appropriate intervals, risking the health and well being of their staff.

Technical Support

Former Employee - Technical Support Manager- Incident Manager  in  Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Manager- Incident Manager in Windsor, CT

I worked at Cigna full-time for less than a year

Pros

There will always be jobs because they troubleshoot for hours and have the worst designed systems

Cons

Longest problem solving in IT groups. Technical systems are convoluted and senseless.

hire a real Infrastructure and Technical support leader. Treat the employees better and with respect. Give management interpersonal skills training.

Business Project Analyst

Current Employee - Business Project Analyst  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Business Project Analyst in Plano, TX

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

At home privileges, management is flexible, lots of oppritunity to work in different areas

Cons

Low salary, slight chance for promotion, selective pay for performance opportunities,

Very large, plenty of opportunity

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cigna's size an global reach make it an ideal place to work if internal mobility is a concern.

Cons

Somewhat impersonal. Comes with the territory in working for a large corporation.

Consider regional/state requirements when building corporate HR programs to avoid imposing undue burdens during end of quarter reporting periods.

The worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - CSA  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - CSA in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good thing is the pay

Cons

Insurane is horrible...mandatory overtime..coworkers are ignorant...you have to tolerate horrible customers ....this was the worst employee insurance I ever had...do not care about their employees

Tell consumers the truth..dont lie to consumers just to get their business

Get out as fast as you can.

Current Employee - Case Coordinator  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Case Coordinator in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent salaries for recent grads. Usually hire great people.

Cons

Lower level management is full of micro-managers who have no idea how to manage people. The level of favoritism by management is off the charts. If your manager does not like you, better start looking for another job because they will find a way to fire you. Managers prefer brown nosers and promote their own friends. Do not have a traditional HR so hard to get concrete information on various policies as they are given to you piecemeal by your manager. If you having issues with someone you are expected to go to your manager and if you are having an issue with your manager you are discouraged to going higher up. No ability to move up in the company if you are not a licensed staff and if your non-licensed staff than you are treated as being disposable. The only jobs available for non-licensed staff are ones where they are assisting licensed staff which essentially mean being their servants and doing almost everything for them up to the point of completely doing their jobs for them. Managers pretend that your opinion matters but then just disregard it and give you a hard time if you do bring up issues in front of others. Lastly, company cares more about profits than their customers as their level of care guidelines makes getting authorization hard for facilities and the policies in place make it hard to actually assist them. It will only be a matter of time before there is a public backlash against them.

Hire competent managers who are not extreme micro-managers and promote the right people- not those who are their friends. Treat non-licensed staff just as well as licensed. Have an actual HR.

horrible

Current Employee - Not Saying  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Not Saying in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Cigna full-time for less than a year

Pros

none whatsoever, me and another woman were hired for one job and ended up clicking boxes 40 hrs a week

Cons

had to quit after 4 months, clicking boxes gave migraines when I have 15 yrs experience

advice to director, don't treat employees like children and lie to them. When my dr filled out the accommodation request under the ADA law asking my day to be broken up with something else in addition to clicking boxes, the employee relations women just called to argue with two times. She didn't talk about the form, she didn't want anything to do with making adjustments. By law they have to accommodate my needs within reason. I think clicking boxes 4 hours and doing something else for 4 hours is within reason. After all I only have 15 years of experience. All this woman wanted to do was argue. She's lucky I didn't go to EEOC

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!