Cigna

Updated September 19, 2014
3.2

Cigna President and CEO David Cordani
David Cordani

Pros
  • Good training for employees work life balance is embraced by management (in 54 reviews)

• You can work from home if you choose to and it works to your advantage (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is touted as important but not always a true priority (in 17 reviews)

• terrible health benefits everything related to metrics plus a lot of cronyism (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work

I have been working at Cigna

Pros

has good work life balance

Cons

it is good company at the start of the career

A large company with a small company feel

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-- Good work/life balance
    -- Opportunities for advancement
    -- Commitment to diversity, LGBTQ issues and market innovation.

Cons

-- Salaries are often below market. The formula they use to calculate raises is high math.
    -- Difficult to get recognize in a competitive environment.

Honestly, in my 20+ years of work life, I've never met a better group of managers than the ones I've enjoyed at Cigna. They are competent, hard-working and always available. I definitely feel there is an open-door policy with all levels of management.

Cigna Response

Jun 13, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

Thank you for your insightful feedback!

Senior Claims Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Claims Analyst  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people, good leadership. Plenty of support in career development and advancement. Options to work remotely.

Cons

PTO and sick pay come from the same bucket and gets used up quickly if anything catastrophic happens.

Better communication with employees regarding what goals are expected of them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Typical large company with all the positives and negatives that come with it

Former Employee - Architecture Manager  in  Bloomfield, CT
    Former Employee - Architecture Manager in Bloomfield, CT

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Diversified product mix should help stock value and business levels. Excellent expansion internationally. Decent culture - people are generally respectful. Experiencing a period of relative success which creates opportunity via new products, projects, etc. Excellent recognition programs; good comp.

Cons

They offer only a high-deductible health plan to the bulk of their employees; expect to pay a larger percentage of healthcare cost.
    Can be quite cliquish at times with decisions made by rumor vs. facts.
    Business is often conducted in large conference calls.
    While not unusual for its size, typical politics occur which may help or hamper your particular role or project. Your work experience can vary greatly depending on the management in your particular area.

Unleash the innovation that lies within your employee base - create programs that support and encourage employees to create new products, processes, services (outside their normal job responsibilities) and hold an annual award event to recognize the best contributions.

Cigna Response

Jun 13, 2014Talent Acquisition Lead

Thank you for your feedback. Cigna is very innovative organization and promotes it by having contests throughout the year asking employees to provide suggestions and ideas on how to improve the ... More

Accounting Senior Specialists at Cigna

Current Employee - Accounting Senior Specialist
    Current Employee - Accounting Senior Specialist

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Benefits are not that great considering Cigna is a Health Insurance company. Cigna recently acquired HealthSpring Inc. and the integration process has been a nightmare. HR support is non-existing at Cigna; everything is supposed to be self-service via their intranet site. Information is hard to find and management is left with the full responsibility of learning, understanding and interpreting HR regulations. All of the HS titles were "converted" to the Cigna structure. Where you had a manager's title under HS; you are a suddenly a "Specialists" under Cigna. Responsibilities remained the same except that you had instantly received a demotion.

Appreciate the hard work of your employees and make HR personel available as support network to management and all other personel.

Great experience.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people and great direction.

Cons

Big company. Sometimes hard for clients to navigate to the right department for services.

Good benefits, I loved the job.

Former Employee - Network Analyst
    Former Employee - Network Analyst

I worked at Cigna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great vacation I started with 3 weeks from day one. Benefits used to be better, now they have increased as most have. I was able to learn and move up a little with the company.

Cons

Many departments were being shut down and jobs eliminated. I was in school and they laid me off I think because of it without notice.

Be more open and honest with employees.

Stay Clear of the Cigna-HealthSpring Pre-Cert Department in Hoover, Alabama

Current Employee - Care Coordinator RN  in  Hoover, AL
    Current Employee - Care Coordinator RN in Hoover, AL

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good health benefits that begin from day one of employment. Fellow employees are great to work with.

Cons

High work load. High stress. No bonuses. Extremely restrictive environment. Low morale. Time-off is scarce. Mandatory overtime. Mandatory weekends. No work/life balance. Extremely high employee turn-over rate. New employees are not trained well or consistently. Many new employees are not given the correct tools or skill sets to do the job properly. Inexperienced middle management that relies heavily upon micro-managing, intimidation, favoritism, spies and verbal abuse (yelling and screaming at individual staff behind office doors). In addition, there is currently an LPN managing/supervising RN/BSNs. Current management does not allow employees to get up from their desks at appropriate intervals, risking the health and well being of their staff.

Technical Support

Former Employee - Technical Support Manager- Incident Manager  in  Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Manager- Incident Manager in Windsor, CT

I worked at Cigna full-time for less than a year

Pros

There will always be jobs because they troubleshoot for hours and have the worst designed systems

Cons

Longest problem solving in IT groups. Technical systems are convoluted and senseless.

hire a real Infrastructure and Technical support leader. Treat the employees better and with respect. Give management interpersonal skills training.

Very large, plenty of opportunity

I have been working at Cigna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cigna's size an global reach make it an ideal place to work if internal mobility is a concern.

Cons

Somewhat impersonal. Comes with the territory in working for a large corporation.

Consider regional/state requirements when building corporate HR programs to avoid imposing undue burdens during end of quarter reporting periods.

Worked for Cigna? Contribute to the Community!