Cimarex Energy Reviews

Thomas E. Jorden

1. There's no place I'd rather be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cimarex Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've found Cimarex to be a top-notch institution in virtually all of my experiences so far. They've really emerged as one of the best-of-breed E&P companies, and after being here for almost a year, it's easy to see why. The people I've gotten to work with have been some of the smartest and most innovative thinkers yet. At Cimarex, the entire organization seems to be that way.

Cons

While the company continues to grow, it sometimes forgets that it isn't the tiny organization like it once was. This can lead to what some might call 'micromanaging' or a concentration of decision-making power toward the top. But if you work hard and do good work, I think you definitely have the opportunity for your work to be seen and to have a meaningful impact on the organization.

Advice to Management

Think about the company's future and the best way to manage the eventual succession. Otherwise, just keep doing what you're doing.

2. Reservoir Engineer Intern

Former Employee - Reservoir Engineering Intern in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Reservoir Engineering Intern in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cimarex Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing pay for an internship, you get to work with high-caliber people in a company that values science over tradition.

Cons

Increasingly, a great internship at a larger O&G company does not equate to a full-time position after graduation. This was the case with me at Cimarex, which was a bit of a surprise.

3. Egineer

I worked at Cimarex Energy

Pros

Good compensation, excellent benefits, bonuses

Cons

Lacks diversity, employment not based on qualifications but who you know

5. Great company

I have been working at Cimarex Energy

Pros

Great benefits package; above average pay; fast to adopt new drilling/production technologies

Cons

Conservative; bonuses for direct profit line departments only; slow to adopt nuts-and-bolts technologies such as document management and data management

6. I find cimarex to be intellectually stimulating with real opportunities to solve impactful challenges.

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Cimarex Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to candidly express your point of view back it up with sound data and well thought out methodology

Cons

Don't let yourself be micro managed. If you feel that way, you are not having candid and real conversations with your manager. Shame on you for blaming that on micro management. Engage in the solution, speak up and solve it. Because guess what, nobody else will do it for you

Advice to Management

Communicate more to employees so all can share in the vision of the company. Continue to self reflect in order to self improve

7. Great benefits and work environment but limited growth potential due to top level micro-management.

Current Employee - Professional in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Professional in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Cimarex Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent remuneration and benefit programs. Many skilled and experienced employees and a challenging professional work environment balanced with an understanding of employees personal needs.

Cons

Long term corporate growth potential is severely inhibited by upper management having to make ALL decisions. Communication is generally poor at mid to lower levels. Management needs to act on employee recommendations more and less on what competitors are doing. Overly conservative management style with a philosophy of; "if it works keep doing it" rather than "how can we do it better"? Competition among teams for funding and bonuses is not always in best interest of company overall.

Advice to Management

Let go of overly micro-managing and give middle management some decision making authority. Lead the company into new areas and methods and don't follow other companies around because this limits growth and profitability. Be honest with employees and establish an annual performance review program. Apply science and employee professional training to problem solving more.

8. Interesting work, but the corporate environment makes it tough to work there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Cimarex Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work and the projects were very interesting. The pay was decent.

Cons

Management is wound very tightly, which makes it a tough place to work. I could not find anything I liked about working there. It isn't a fun place to work and the benefits weren't that great.

Advice to Management

I have none.

Needs Improvement

I have been working at Cimarex Energy full-time

Pros

This company has a flat management system, great pay and benefits, and a challenging work environment.

Cons

What goes along with the challenging work is a cut-throat environment - not always the nicest place to work.

10. Great Environment, great people, limited room to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Cimarex Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small compnany, great experience, wonderful people

Cons

Small company, limited career growth opportunities

Excellent benefits, outstanding peers, but difficult political culture that impacts overall profitability.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Cimarex Energy

Pros

The health benefits, 401K and profit sharing are outstanding and "blue chip." Interdepartmental teamwork is collegial, productive, and professional.

Cons

Intradepartmental conflict is poorly managed from top down, primarily from technical shortcomings or outright timidity of mid management. Overall profitability is often impaired by parochial concerns and a culture of silence and timidity. The rhetoric of candor and irreverence is fully promoted until they are actually used.

Advice to Management

You're too big to benefit from micromanagement by senior-level executives. The sometimes-astonishing capabilities and acumen of upper management are poorly allocated, at least in exploration.

RSS Feed </> Embed