Cincinnati Bell Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Ted Torbeck

Overall a good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of new technology and the ability to get as involved as you want to. Most of the people are friendly .

Cons

If you aren't in the "in crowd" you won't move up. If you are happy in your current job that's not a bad thing though. The company seems to change direction every few years so you may think you have job security in your position and the next thing you know your job is outsourced or just done away with.

Advice to Management

Put people in charge of the various groups that actually have a clue what is supposed to be going on. You will get quite a bit more done if the boss knows what his employees are doing in my opinion.

2. Communications Consultant

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time

Pros

Sales commission allows you to make more or less then others in position. People oriented position.

Cons

Retail hours - can work any day of the week. Limited raises in staying in position. Year to year pay is the same.

Advice to Management

Management is much improved with new CEO from top to bottom, so I would say continue in your ways.

3. Little room to advance for those who don't mingle with the in-crowd

Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Business Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours when needed, average pay

Cons

Little to room to move up in the organization unless you know the right people. It isn't always what you know at Cincinnati Bell rather it is who you know.

5. Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the other communications consultants and sales managers at Cincinnati Bell. For this position, I thought the pay was adequate for not requiring anything other than a high school diploma.

Cons

Very few opportunities for advancement, not only within sales divisions, but also laterally within the company. I was really bothered by the fact that there was no such thing as selling with values at Cincinnati Bell. Nothing, and I mean nothing, mattered so long as you persuaded customers to sign up for services.

Advice to Management

Promote honesty throughout your sales divisions. Understand new subscribers will decrease, but your retention and satisfaction metrics will skyrocket. Not that they really have anywhere to go but up at this point.

6. Going, Going, Gone

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are reasonably good, compared to other companies. Moving to centralize in Downtown Cincinnati (could be PRO or CON, depending on how they handle parking subsidy).

Cons

Company future unsure - since only a Cincinnati footprint based company, room for growth limited (only so many households). Too many fish in the pool of services they offer. High debt outstanding still after many years. Speculate that Company survival would be through sale/buyout.

Advice to Management

Decide on where you want to take the company and stick with it, too many changes going on in such a short window. Outside Cincinnati, Only Cincinnati. Data Center, not Data Center. Wireless, not Wireless. Fioptics, ???

7. HR

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working toward a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

Constent change....good and bad depends on where your career path is .

Advice to Management

Top management is changing the Companies Culture and doing a great job.

8. Co-Op

Current Employee - Accounting Coop in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Accounting Coop in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is very good Located downtown which is nice Good with allowing you take care of personal matters

Cons

Not a lot of knowledge to be gained and some of the work is meaningless Doesn't appear to have a lot of opportunities for growth

9. Project Manager / Business Analyst

Current Employee - Project Manager/Business Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Business Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and ethics.

Cons

behind on IT technology and not very tailored towards employee development plans

10. Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and compensation, as well as many opportunities for growth.

Cons

Not much female representation in upper management.

This was a great company to work for 3+ years ago

Current Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, flexible hours, paid time off, great co-workers Great place to work if you are in any department other than retail

Cons

Upper management insists we don't take pay decreases. Yet, for the last few years commission payouts have declined 50%. If you're a woman, good luck advancing to management roles. I'm not sure if the entire company is this way but the retail department is a boys club and if you're not one of the boys, you won't get very far. Upper management has a very negative approach to "motivating" consultants. Constant emails and texts from managers about how terrible we are doing in daily sales. Management doesn't take the time to listen to what's going on in the stores in order to help sales consultants. Retail is losing multiple reps per month and management doesn't adjust individual goals to help make them attainable. The retail stores have become more like telemarketing departments. Majority of the day is spent making outgoing sales calls and managers instruct reps to call each customer up to five times per day (harass them) in desperate attempts to sell anything possible. I (among with my coworkers) used to look forward to coming to work each day. In the past year our souls have seemed to die a little each day and this has caused such a high turnover rate. Management only cares about the number on the board at the end of each day and not if we are actually selling things correctly (i.e. Not being shady/lying to customers) or how many customers we upset each day by harassing them multiple times. If one store is having a bad (or even an average) sales day, upper management automatically assumes that the sales reps are not doing their jobs and it's for a lack of effort. In turn, they threaten to send reps home with no pay for the day because they think that we are just sitting around lolly gagging. We bust our butts for you guys everyday. You think we don't want to have a good sales day? Yeah, you're right. We all hate making money. If upper management would actually sit down with each of us to hear our perspective and maybe come up with a way to drive traffic into stores or make more attainable goals based on the little traffic we had, it would make your reps and your lower level management a lot happier. I think I've ranted long enough. The point is, do not join Cincinnati Bell as a retail consultant. The company is making great changes but they have given up on their retail stores and aren't doing anything to help us any longer.

Advice to Management

Be more positive! Yelling at your consultants and telling them how badly they are doing does not help us sell more. Selling is all about attitude. If you belittle us and have a dictator approach to everything, we don't perform as well and you're only hurting yourselves in the end.

RSS Feed </> Embed