Cincinnati Bell
www.cincinnatibell.com Cincinnati, OH 1000 to 5000 Employees

Cincinnati Bell Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Ted Torbeck

Pros:
  • "Good compensation and pretty good benefits"
    in 7 reviews
  • "good pay overall- not enough on the hourly to do some of the customer service things they ask"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:

Reviews

Most people have to work for a living, this is a great place to do it...

Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat pay.Work-life balance is great! People are the best part of the work day. Many opportunities for additional training, but seldom used. Customer still seems to be top of mind for everyone involved. Overall a great place to work.

ConsToo many "silos," still operating under a monopoly mindset in some cases. Additional training is seldom used/encouraged due to broken processes. Many stresses, too many work-arounds, and too often doing what it takes to make things work, rather than what's right, because of lack of support/involvement/direction from within. A fear of losing your job for speaking up, and telling the truth...

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more connected to mid-lower level employees to see what it's really like to work here. The direction is positive, but pick one, and stick with it. People feel overwhelmed to accomplish the lofty goals put before them, and become less engaged when they aren't recognized for them. The culture shift that is being performed may take generations to breed out before it can be fully realized. Stay the course, but become candidly connected with the people doing the work.

Instability, yearly layoffs, Paring down for sale to a big player

Prosthe pros are that they pay fairly well, their vacation policy is better than some, but that is really about it.

Consno career path, benefits being cut yearly, stodgy culture that resists anything new or creative. no racial or gender equality in upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are plenty of smart talented moral people that didn't go to Moler or St X.

Communications Consultant (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsNice hours and flexability. Decent commission.

ConsAwful customer base. Company is a boys club.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Pay, questionable stability

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsGood Pay, Good People, Good Benefits, allow personal growth based on skill.

ConsWhile Cincinnati Bell is good at pulling in contributors for the United Way and the Arts fund, they seem to lack interest their employees. There is no concern for their family's or the community that these employees contribute to with their wages. Keep in mind this is the same community that Cnbell expects to support them. It is one thing to offshore jobs that consistently revolve, and another to displace seasoned professional employees, with up to 20 years of dedication to CBT. If you want to work for a place with a cloud of uncertainty over your head, no matter how expert your skills are, this is the place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you research a problem and a solution, put all parties involved in the room, before making regrettable decisions. This seems to be the theme for this organization. The decisions made in the past few years seem like a deliberate attempt to devalue the company.

Good opportunities for some

Norwood, OH

ProsBell’s corporate culture is improving. I have worked with some dynamic leaders who were genuinely excited about our business and invested in its growth. My schedule has been flexible and compensation has been fair. I received support while continuing my education and took advantage of opportunities to obtain professional certifications.

ConsThey suffer from a lack of diversity and women in leadership roles. When it comes to promotions they often post opportunities but know who is going to fill the position. HR has behaved unprofessionally while filling positions as well. They need to be more transparent when posting positions and value professionalism more than personal relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making changes that improve corporate culture. You made progress under Ted Torbeck ‘s leadership. Create a formal process for development within the company. Focus on meaningful mentoring opportunities and career path activities.

Times are changing

ProsGood compensation and pretty good benefits.

ConsThe Company is shrinking and annual layoffs have become commonplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to set long term objectives and not manage to the immediate fiscal quarter. Tend to make shortsighted decisions that hamper long term success.

Cincinnati Bell Employee

ProsGreat place to work if you are in a stable department

ConsSo worried about the dollar and taking everything over seas they seem to be forgetting that GOOD customer service is what makes a company successful

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on customer service to make this local company something for Cincinnati to be proud of

Won't recommend Cincinnati Bell

Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe people doing the actual work are great people to work with.

ConsContinuing layoffs, no flexible hours, unreasonable amount of hours without appreciation, don't care about employees

Good pay, but little job security.

Communications Consultant (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe compensation plan (although dynamic and constantly changing) is usually a great payout for the consultant. Retail hours are usually pretty terrible, but management does work with you to keep you as happy as possible with your schedule.

ConsI feel as though the consultant should be empowered, but there is no information backing our business decisions because management does not make that information readily available. We constantly have to defend a company we believe in without having the numbers to back it.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare information with the people selling your product. We are at your mercy, and we are the people who are sharing the information with the consumer. We are the last people to find out news in the company. Also, if the focus if FiOptics, then get equipment that makes the FiOptics service ROCK! The network is by far the best network in the area, but the in home equipment is (9 times out of 10) the only issue the customer has.

It is a good company for people who want to experience dynamic corporate culture

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Norwood, OH

ProsThe company empowers the employees to initiate the projects, and they can drive the results by having enough autonomy.

ConsThere are lack of formal training opportunities and a good guidance of mentoring

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more career advancement opportunities

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Cincinnati Bell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cincinnati Bell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cincinnati Bell CEO Ted Torbeck. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Cincinnati Bell employees.