Cincinnati Bell

www.cincinnatibell.com

Cincinnati Bell Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Ted Torbeck

Pros
  • Good compensation and pretty good benefits(in 7 reviews)

• good pay overall- not enough on the hourly to do some of the customer service things they ask(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Weak balance sheet with massive debt burden from the Broadwing failure(in 3 reviews)

Companies like this don't exist anymore!

Premise Technician T2 (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsTop industry pay
    Excellent Benefits (Health, Life, Supplimental Life, Dental, Vision, Rx Drug, 401k, Stock Plan, Group Legal ((yes seriously, group legal... I know right?))
    Excellent Perks (Concessions: Heavily discounted Cellular, Television, Home Phone, and Internet Services if you live within the service area of course.)
    Union
    Managers who were promoted from within
    A Great Community
    Nearly-Unlimited Overtime Opportunities
    Amazing Training Program
    Job Security!

ConsForced Overtime
    A community divide between tier 1 and tier 2 technicians

Advice to Senior ManagementSpecialize the fiber technicians like the copper technicians. At the moment we can all do a little bit of everything but nothing to perfection. With specializations it would allow us to master one section, and thus provide higher quality service.

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cincinnati, IA

Pros- Great pay
    - Great benefits
    - Community Involvement and Volunteer Activities
    - If you work hard, you are rewarded
    - Roles are very broad- employees learn so much valuable knowledge
    - Always busy so time flies by!
    - Reputable company

ConsEmployees are expected to work hard and be available for the company. As long as you do that, you will be rewarded.

Feedback

ProsGreat People to work with.

ConsCan't run a race car in the red all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't run a race car in the red all the time. Need to focus on employee morale, slowing down a bit, and allowing people a chance to breathe. Can't cut staff to the bone and expect the same or more work to get done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working here is a career, not a job

ProsThey hire very competant employees and the atmosphere is a great plasce to work. The technical knowledge of our team is poooled together and everyone can rely on each other to assist when on a customer site completing an install / upgrade.

ConsThe salary you get hired in at is hard to get adjusted as you progress through the years. They normally follow the traditional adjustment for the cost of living, 1-3%. To increase your slaary any faster than that, would most probably require you to leave the company and start at a higher salary somewhere else to be paid what your current knowledge now is worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy comment here would be that they need to retain the employees who are bringing in revenue to the company. It is a great place to work, but if your salary barely pays the bills, then it is not possible to have a happy work / life balance.

Cincinnati Bell is an outstanding company to work for!

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCBT has amazing opportunities for its employees. I started from an entry level position and recently have been involved with our national expansion efforts. There are several new career opportunities on the horizon! We are big enough to make an impact, but small enough that we don't have the rigid Corporate America environment. If I need to talk to Jack, Brian or Gary, it is an email away. That is the amazing thing about this company. CBT cares for its employees and us employees all care for the business. It is a great environment.

ConsI would not say there are any downsides of working for Cincinnati Bell, only some obstacles. We are a regional provider which can be one strike against us in the national arena, BUT our people are the differentiator and the businesses we work with see and understand that. You have to be 100% dedicated to making Cincinnati Bell the best option on the market, and the company rewards our employees for doing that.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! We have a great story and there is a lot more success waiting for us in the future. Go CBT!!!!! :)

Most people have to work for a living, this is a great place to do it...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat pay.Work-life balance is great! People are the best part of the work day. Many opportunities for additional training, but seldom used. Customer still seems to be top of mind for everyone involved. Overall a great place to work.

ConsToo many "silos," still operating under a monopoly mindset in some cases. Additional training is seldom used/encouraged due to broken processes. Many stresses, too many work-arounds, and too often doing what it takes to make things work, rather than what's right, because of lack of support/involvement/direction from within. A fear of losing your job for speaking up, and telling the truth...

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more connected to mid-lower level employees to see what it's really like to work here. The direction is positive, but pick one, and stick with it. People feel overwhelmed to accomplish the lofty goals put before them, and become less engaged when they aren't recognized for them. The culture shift that is being performed may take generations to breed out before it can be fully realized. Stay the course, but become candidly connected with the people doing the work.

Great place to cut your teeth

Systems Engineer I (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsI have been treated very well here. Fair comensation for my work, great about merit based pay increases. Lots of work to do, and a lot of good people. The company is actually growing and developing new tech/offerings for it's clientele which is pretty exciting to see. Its actually becoming a better and better place to work since the CEO Jack Cassidy was replaced by Ted Torbeck.

ConsLike many jobs there are a lot of politics involved in a lot of the departments. This seems to be related to quite a bit of acquisition that the company has been doing for several years now and while it is tapering out it still exists. Because of this there are times when projects really need to be started or completed and can't be due to resources being shuffled around various places.

Good pay and benefits but industry pressures

Director (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsPay and benefits were good

ConsLayoffs every year
    High financial pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to employee ideas

Good Local Company

Analytics Manager (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat teams dedicated to making sure that team is supported and everyone works together. I really felt like I was a member of the team and have friends for a lifetime.

ConsFast paced very competitive industry and frequent layoffs within the business can make the environment untenable for most people.

Lots of opportunity for growth & career path exploration

ProsSolid financial strength, opportunities for advancement are there

ConsConstant change & turn over in sales

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better internal communication & guidance on future career path

Worked for Cincinnati Bell? Contribute to the Community!