Cincinnati Bell Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.6

Ted Torbeck

Pros
  • Good compensation and pretty good benefits (in 7 reviews)

• good pay overall- not enough on the hourly to do some of the customer service things they ask (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Weak balance sheet with massive debt burden from the Broadwing failure (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Times are changing

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

Good compensation and pretty good benefits.

Cons

The Company is shrinking and annual layoffs have become commonplace.

Need to set long term objectives and not manage to the immediate fiscal quarter. Tend to make shortsighted decisions that hamper long term success.

Won't recommend Cincinnati Bell

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people doing the actual work are great people to work with.

Cons

Continuing layoffs, no flexible hours, unreasonable amount of hours without appreciation, don't care about employees

Good pay, but little job security.

Current Employee - Communications Consultant  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The compensation plan (although dynamic and constantly changing) is usually a great payout for the consultant. Retail hours are usually pretty terrible, but management does work with you to keep you as happy as possible with your schedule.

Cons

I feel as though the consultant should be empowered, but there is no information backing our business decisions because management does not make that information readily available. We constantly have to defend a company we believe in without having the numbers to back it.

Share information with the people selling your product. We are at your mercy, and we are the people who are sharing the information with the consumer. We are the last people to find out news in the company. Also, if the focus if FiOptics, then get equipment that makes the FiOptics service ROCK! The network is by far the best network in the area, but the in home equipment is (9 times out of 10) the only issue the customer has.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a good company for people who want to experience dynamic corporate culture

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Norwood, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Norwood, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company empowers the employees to initiate the projects, and they can drive the results by having enough autonomy.

Cons

There are lack of formal training opportunities and a good guidance of mentoring

Provide more career advancement opportunities

Get a lot of great experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a company that you will get a lot of great corporate experience. You are asked to take on a lot more responsibility then your own job description which gives you exposure to so many other corporate experiences.

Cons

Not a great culture. They are trying to change this but it is a very slow process. There is not a great work/personal life balance

Build a culture that rewards people and makes them want to continue their career there.

They have absolutely no regard for the value of a proven dependable, proficient employee when cutting cost.

Former Employee - Billing Verification & Payment Processing Specialist  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Billing Verification & Payment Processing Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working for a contracting company as a CBT employee you don't have to deal with their upper managements lack of knowledge with regard to each employee's job responsibilities.

Cons

Continued relocation of employee's from place to place and unacceptable work environments. Upper managements main level of importance is finding ways to cut cost no matter how much an employee is valued, recommended, or how it will affect their internal or external customers & vendors.

Take serious consideration to respecting immediate supervisors, co-workers, and internal and external customers opinions and recommendations as valuable information prior to down sizing departments.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

established working network
    key player in a small market

Cons

Not a very aggressive company.
    Average pay scale.
    Not a technology forward company.
    Continuing education and career growth is not highly supported.
    Retirement and benefits are average.

Look outside of your networking circle to recruit new talent.

Great place to cut your teeth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer I  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer I in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been treated very well here. Fair comensation for my work, great about merit based pay increases. Lots of work to do, and a lot of good people. The company is actually growing and developing new tech/offerings for it's clientele which is pretty exciting to see. Its actually becoming a better and better place to work since the CEO Jack Cassidy was replaced by Ted Torbeck.

Cons

Like many jobs there are a lot of politics involved in a lot of the departments. This seems to be related to quite a bit of acquisition that the company has been doing for several years now and while it is tapering out it still exists. Because of this there are times when projects really need to be started or completed and can't be due to resources being shuffled around various places.

The real story!

Former Employee - Premise Tech  in  Moraine, OH
    Former Employee - Premise Tech in Moraine, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big company..Freedom, decent Health insurance, supplied good working tools!

Cons

Poor Union, Need more diversity, Lack of professional management!

Pay attention to employee needs and concerns! Don't be so quick to judge a person based on the color of their skin! In corporate more Afro Americans in management!

Company in change

Current Employee - Various  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Various in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Had some great individuals
    Great opportunities to learn

Cons

Excessive downsizing, management is being strectched (60+ hours a week is normal)
    Culture is a "gotcha" mentality, can get a bit catty. Trust is gone from a decade of stripping the cash of one group to pump into a company to get ready to sell.

Quit stripping core business to pump other areas, quit making one group a success at the expense of everyother business unit. Everyone wants to succeed, quit blocking success.
    Quit the layoffs

Worked for Cincinnati Bell? Contribute to the Community!