Cincinnati Bell

www.cincinnatibell.com
Profile Unclaimed

Instability, yearly layoffs, Paring down for sale to a big player

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the pros are that they pay fairly well, their vacation policy is better than some, but that is really about it.

Cons

no career path, benefits being cut yearly, stodgy culture that resists anything new or creative. no racial or gender equality in upper management.

There are plenty of smart talented moral people that didn't go to Moler or St X.

Good Pay, questionable stability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Good People, Good Benefits, allow personal growth based on skill.

Cons

While Cincinnati Bell is good at pulling in contributors for the United Way and the Arts fund, they seem to lack interest their employees. There is no concern for their family's or the community that these employees contribute to with their wages. Keep in mind this is the same community that Cnbell expects to support them. It is one thing to offshore jobs that consistently revolve, and another to displace seasoned professional employees, with up to 20 years of dedication to CBT. If you want to work for a place with a cloud of uncertainty over your head, no matter how expert your skills are, this is the place to be.

When you research a problem and a solution, put all parties involved in the room, before making regrettable decisions. This seems to be the theme for this organization. The decisions made in the past few years seem like a deliberate attempt to devalue the company.

Current Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice hours and flexability. Decent commission.

Cons

Awful customer base. Company is a boys club.

Good opportunities for some

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bell’s corporate culture is improving. I have worked with some dynamic leaders who were genuinely excited about our business and invested in its growth. My schedule has been flexible and compensation has been fair. I received support while continuing my education and took advantage of opportunities to obtain professional certifications.

Cons

They suffer from a lack of diversity and women in leadership roles. When it comes to promotions they often post opportunities but know who is going to fill the position. HR has behaved unprofessionally while filling positions as well. They need to be more transparent when posting positions and value professionalism more than personal relationships.

Keep making changes that improve corporate culture. You made progress under Ted Torbeck ‘s leadership. Create a formal process for development within the company. Focus on meaningful mentoring opportunities and career path activities.

Times are changing

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

Good compensation and pretty good benefits.

Cons

The Company is shrinking and annual layoffs have become commonplace.

Need to set long term objectives and not manage to the immediate fiscal quarter. Tend to make shortsighted decisions that hamper long term success.

Cincinnati Bell Employee

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

Great place to work if you are in a stable department

Cons

So worried about the dollar and taking everything over seas they seem to be forgetting that GOOD customer service is what makes a company successful

Start focusing on customer service to make this local company something for Cincinnati to be proud of

Won't recommend Cincinnati Bell

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people doing the actual work are great people to work with.

Cons

Continuing layoffs, no flexible hours, unreasonable amount of hours without appreciation, don't care about employees

Good pay, but little job security.

Current Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation plan (although dynamic and constantly changing) is usually a great payout for the consultant. Retail hours are usually pretty terrible, but management does work with you to keep you as happy as possible with your schedule.

Cons

I feel as though the consultant should be empowered, but there is no information backing our business decisions because management does not make that information readily available. We constantly have to defend a company we believe in without having the numbers to back it.

Share information with the people selling your product. We are at your mercy, and we are the people who are sharing the information with the consumer. We are the last people to find out news in the company. Also, if the focus if FiOptics, then get equipment that makes the FiOptics service ROCK! The network is by far the best network in the area, but the in home equipment is (9 times out of 10) the only issue the customer has.

It is a good company for people who want to experience dynamic corporate culture

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Norwood, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Norwood, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company empowers the employees to initiate the projects, and they can drive the results by having enough autonomy.

Cons

There are lack of formal training opportunities and a good guidance of mentoring

Provide more career advancement opportunities

Get a lot of great experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a company that you will get a lot of great corporate experience. You are asked to take on a lot more responsibility then your own job description which gives you exposure to so many other corporate experiences.

Cons

Not a great culture. They are trying to change this but it is a very slow process. There is not a great work/personal life balance

Build a culture that rewards people and makes them want to continue their career there.