Cincinnati Bell

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014
2.6

Ted Torbeck

Pros
  • Good compensation and pretty good benefits (in 7 reviews)

• good pay overall- not enough on the hourly to do some of the customer service things they ask (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Weak balance sheet with massive debt burden from the Broadwing failure (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't plan on advancement unless you are part of the " good ole boys" network

Former Employee - Communications Consultant  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

They train you pretty well to sell the product, and will give you a fair chance to improve performance.
    opportunity to make pretty decent money w/o a degree.

Cons

Poor communication between management and entry level consultants.
    recently restructured the commission structure thus resulting in less over all pay.
    products sold are behind industry standard, often getting other companies left over phones.
    lack of opportunity to advance or try other positions within the company.

Stop promoting friend and family and start promoting the best person for the job.

great small company but unstable

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

great to work for a small company because they really care about their customers and stick behind values

Cons

small company so never know whats around the corner...like stores closing and alot of movement of employees

stop rotating empolyees and let people know in advance when stores are closing

Stateside phone company call center, Local Union Based Shop

Current Employee - RSC Residential Call Center Representative  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - RSC Residential Call Center Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

As with most other reviewers comments seem to say, I love my counterparts at my level, the benefits of working in a union shop are that there is more protection than being exposed to sudden job loss and a more stable work place. I really do like CEO Jack Cassidy's style and a sort of a gun slinger old school shoot from the hip mentality. His goal and mine are the same, and that is "To attract and retain profitable customers” I like working for a public utility that thinks it is a small business. Cincinnati Bell is a information based company that has a vast potential for anyone who will work hard and stay focused and committed to the job and customer. I have been getting a pay check in one way or another from Cincinnati Bell well over ten years, as I have worked with or for CBT for that period of time. The good news is that we have many possible ways of generating sales and this includes such things as, we brand, sell, and provide service to our very own line of Cell Phones, Internet, and the coolest of all products is the Fiber Optics that we are growing in our market so now we have our own CABLE TELEVISON and home based fiber based internet with speeds as high as 30meg, and we just bought a large data center in Texas to work with our local data centers here local. And our computer support is second to non which we call CBTS. All in all not a bad place to work, LOTS of opportunities if you like "tech" based work that includes end users

Cons

The continuation of the loss of land based telephone services continues to erode our long standing residential client base of land line and business customers.
     Also extreme competition from cable provider Time Warner cable and all the other cell phone providers.

Stay focused and attend your Six Sigma training, The training that you have received will benefit both you and the people that count on you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointed

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

Offer good benefits and pay raises

Cons

Had high hopes in the beginning, but found out it's a depressing place to work. Sales goals are placed too high. Many people are fired or quit because of the negative atmosphere. Used to be a great place to work in the past, avoid if possible.

Try to maintain sales goals that are reachable for everyone.

A middle of the road experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

The pay is OK and they are flexible on PTO.

Cons

The company is in a tough industry and is facing an uphill climb due to past mistakes by management. The long term outlook for CBT is a big unknown, but is gloomy at best.

Management needs to bring in good people who understand the new industries they are entering. The current group is not sufficient.

Good Pay, but poor recognition

Current Employee - Communications Consultant  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Communications Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

Good pay
    Solid Benefits
    Possible career advancement if you can deal with uneducated and uncompromising management.

Cons

High paced to a point of unproductiveness.
    Say good by to your life if you want to advance.
    Company changes focus constantly.
    Company likes to take the "easy way out"

Reward employees.
    Focus on what you're good at and company goals.

Started out pretty decent but as the board and executives started the slow process of bankrupting a cash cow it got bad.

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

There are some extremely smart competent employees there, dedicated and worthy.

Cons

Incompetent, petulant executives with no working knowledge of the world, that have driven morale to an all time low.

The board must be purged of those that made the IXC decision, as well as the CEO and all the VP yes men that now occupy those positions.

ok

Former Employee - Sales  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales in Louisville, KY

I worked at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

good pay for the area

Cons

closed the division in Kentucky

plan better

Its not a good place to work for anybody unless you can join the "good old boys" club of the CEO

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

Good vacation and holidays. Decent helathcare plan. Good progress if you can join the "yes sir" club and do work as a slave. Bonus plan is good.

Cons

Each qtr they met the WS numbers by cutting cost by letting go their best employees. Its only the good old boys of the CEO are running the company who does not have any vision or long term goal (other than fulfilling their pockets). The co would be bought by AT&T or somebody like that, but two much debt is preventing anybody to make an offer. This company should be last place on your mind if you're thinking of employment.

Remove some of the Yes Men VPs, dir, and clueless GMs. Create a work environment where outside the box ideas are welcomed and appreciated and not what you're trying to listen

Nepotism is very prevalent at this company.

Former Employee - Associate Accountant  in  Norwood, OH
    Former Employee - Associate Accountant in Norwood, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Bell

Pros

The company has a very flexible work schedule. If needed, one is able to work from home or adjust their schedule with very little notice.

Cons

In this company it is all who you know. When hired my co-workers were amazed that I was not related or married to someone who already worked there. This led to an uncomfortable work environment as I was not part of the work 'family" from the start.

I also worked for the company for 3 years and never got a performance review. You do a self evalulation with goals, but never know where you stand as far as expectations from your supervisors.

Please start hiring more people based on their ability to do the job and not how good of a friend they are to you. It stagnates the business environment and hampers the ability to let the person go if they are not doing a good job.

Worked for Cincinnati Bell? Contribute to the Community!