Cincinnati Financial

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steven J. Johnston

Conservative and homegrown company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Fairfield, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits and pay, loyal company, a lot of great people working there, and a strong focus on customer service. The company is growing and I think heading in the right direction.

ConsOffice culture is stuffy, location is terrible in Fairfield Ohio, vacation package is weak, it takes an excessively long time to move to the upper ranks, leadership is generally set in their ways, few young people to add enthusiasm and life to the office, and few people from outside of greater Cincinnati. It's a very traditional company that has been slow to keep up with the times.

1950's

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cincinnati Financial

ProsSome good people and skilled people. Lunch is good and vacation time is good.

ConsTerrible corporate culture. They hold on to the 1950's. Bad managers with no experience other than CinFin. Resource managers for IT are a waste of time and money.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the CIO, step into modern modern day business. The right people are not in the right roles. Outsiders are not welcome unless you are from Deloitte, which they are deeply in bed with.

Office Space - the reality show

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

ProsJob security, good people, free parking, cafeteria ... Can't think of much more than that

ConsCube farm hell. Dress code too conservative. Culture is straight out of 1965. Insurance is about as exciting as root canal. IT employees stuck with old technology. Where IT careers go to die.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up... It is 2014 after all

Company takes good care of regular employers, but not contractors

Quality Assurance (Former Employee)

I worked at Cincinnati Financial as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood benefits and perks for employers

ConsEmploy a great number of contractors, especially in IT department. Much less incentive/job ownership can be observed.

Good internship, not the job for everyone

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

ProsExposure to upper management and executives, other departments, understanding of opportunities for employment after graduation

ConsSeems to be little room for growth within the company. Plenty of lateral movement, but little upward.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to start buying out some upper management.. Retiring allows for younger people to fill their spot, and keeps everything moving. Too stagnant a work environment for new grads.

Good solid company

Commercial Underwriter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time for more than 10 years

Prosrelaxed environment for a big company
opportunity to move into other departments if what you're doing isn't a good fit

Conslimited salary potential with annual raises 2-3%

Advice to Senior Managementincrease experienced underwriter's salaries, as they are lower than the competitors

Not the same company it used to be

Underwriter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome nice people to work with.

ConsOverworked, underpaid, stressful. No room for growth within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I first started with the company many years ago, I was so proud to working at CFC. Everyone was nice, happy, helpful. You put in 45 hours a week and you were good to go. Now, you have to work at least 50 hours to keep your head above water. There is an unspoken expectation that you need to work from home after you put in 8 or more hours at the office.

I believe Mr. Shiff is probably rolling over in his grave right now. The company he started, is not the company that stands today. He started the company with family values and wanted to put family first. He waned his employees happy, he knew them by name. Mr. Johnston has lost sight of the foundation the company was built upon. Even Mr. Shiff Jr. was more about employee happiness not just making money. Don't get me wrong, money keeps the lights on and salaries paid but at what cost? I know more people on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medicaitions now because of the stress there. The majority of staff are unhappy. The CEO needs to starts over and put the employees first.

Not a good experience

Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Cincinnati Financial as a contractor for less than a year

ProsA few decent people in the company.

ConsOutdated technology
Over worked
Management/Team Leadership
Some employee's egos

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your technology and make full time associates take classes in how to tolerate diversity in the work place. This company has to have some of the most "phobic" people working in it I've ever seen. The Underwriters make fun of their clients as soon as they hang up the phone with them and basically poke fun of everything from their accents to anything else you could imagine. That and they do treat contractors poorly. I worked there for 10 months and they treated me like I was beneath them, but in a "nice" way.

Cincinnati Financial Corporation's Underwriters are a prime example of giving a little person the smallest amount of power...they gain a Napoleon complex.

Awesome Company !

Field Claims Representative (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time for less than a year

ProsThis company trusts you to do your job, there is no micro-management. Great benefits, great training program and resources, a company that embraces the employees.

ConsNone, this company allows you to do your job, gives you the tools and support.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do, it is evident that you have cultivated a great environment based on the longevity of tenure of the employees. I am so happy to work for such a great company!

This place is like working in Bedrock.

Administrative Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time for less than a year

ProsA few nice people. The rest kinda let their "titles" go to their heads. Mainly the Underwriters are like this as they think their job is the end all be all of jobs. It's like Really?...Really?...okay...whatever you say Mr. & Mrs. I don't know what I'm doing and need the "Team Leader" to tell me everything but how to blow my nose.

ConsRemember The Flintstones? Mr. Slate's office had that bird that use to peck out the words or they carved out letters on stone tablets. This place is even more behind the times than that. Their software is so behind the times it's ridiculous. Hey guys...why don't you step boldly into the early 90's and get more modern software! 1983 called and it wants it's programs back! This place is so far behind the times I'm surprised they don't still use Morris Code.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the "good ole boy/girl" mentality you got going on there. This place is worse than Junior High with it's unofficial little clicks. I'll say this...if you love Football and Baseball (I mean REALLY love it) and talk about it 8 hrs per day...you'll fit in just fine. All while current management ignores the talented and hard workers they do have. Lose this mentality if you want to be a greater success.

Worked for Cincinnati Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cincinnati Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cincinnati Financial CEO Steven J. Johnston. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Cincinnati Financial employees.