Cincinnati Financial Reviews

Reset
2.7
Steven J. Johnston

NOT HOW YOU DO THE JOB, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW

Current Employee - Underwriter in Cincinati (Colombia)
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Cincinati (Colombia)

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Matching 401K up to 6%, decent benefits, soup and salad in cafeteria....whoo hoo!

Cons

Terrible corporate culture, incompetent managers in managing talent....brown nosers will love! Overworked, sense of exasperation pervasive throughout company....Commercial, Personal, Field, Claims. Nepotism, children of independent agents hired frequently and get away with murder, so knowing people in high places will get you farther. Seen some egregious things done by some of these people and never fired. Not a woman, but do not favor women still despite losing lawsuit in past for discrimination. Frequently hire managers in positions who are pathologically poor in relating to people and more suited to generate reports and work with details. Well known to pay lower historically and introduced a new review system designed to curb pay more. Used to be family oriented and now bottom lines is accountability to shareholders. Very evident trying to shed higher priced experienced workers for low priced inexperienced substitutes.

Advice to Management

Morale is so poor and word will get out. At some point you will reap the cost for the direction the company has taken. Overpaying Senior Executives now only serves to widen the gap of discontent which seems to be a microcosm of corporate culture, and CFC used to be above that. Too few people have control now and Senior salaries have become bloated.

1950's

I worked at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

Some good people and skilled people. Lunch is good and vacation time is good.

Cons

Terrible corporate culture. They hold on to the 1950's. Bad managers with no experience other than CinFin. Resource managers for IT are a waste of time and money.

Advice to Management

Fire the CIO, step into modern modern day business. The right people are not in the right roles. Outsiders are not welcome unless you are from Deloitte, which they are deeply in bed with.

This place is like working in Bedrock.

Current Employee - Administrative Support in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Administrative Support in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A few nice people. The rest kinda let their "titles" go to their heads. Mainly the Underwriters are like this as they think their job is the end all be all of jobs. It's like Really?...Really?...okay...whatever you say Mr. & Mrs. I don't know what I'm doing and need the "Team Leader" to tell me everything but how to blow my nose.

Cons

Remember The Flintstones? Mr. Slate's office had that bird that use to peck out the words or they carved out letters on stone tablets. This place is even more behind the times than that. Their software is so behind the times it's ridiculous. Hey guys...why don't you step boldly into the early 90's and get more modern software! 1983 called and it wants it's programs back! This place is so far behind the times I'm surprised they don't still use Morris Code.

Advice to Management

Ditch the "good ole boy/girl" mentality you got going on there. This place is worse than Junior High with it's unofficial little clicks. I'll say this...if you love Football and Baseball (I mean REALLY love it) and talk about it 8 hrs per day...you'll fit in just fine. All while current management ignores the talented and hard workers they do have. Lose this mentality if you want to be a greater success.

Infuriating culture of deceit, secrecy, and finger pointing; IT begs for scraps from the master's table.

Current Employee - Developer in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Developer in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

If you happened to go to college with someone in upper management, you'll do very well for yourself here. Connections mean everything in this company.

The company is well respected in insurance circles, with arguably one of the better claim services in the industry. They really look after their customers.

Cons

Sadly, they don't take especially good care of their employees. Doubly so for IT personnel.

The culture of nepotism is such that people who are wholly unqualified for positions of seniority are promoted, usually to their own level of incompetence, thanks to a kindly word from a friend with influence. In a technical organization, this is a heinous oversight. We have utterly incompetent team leads, service managers, resource managers, and architects running the asylum. Of course, if you're the slightest bit vocal about these incompetencies, you're a troublemaker and will find yourself swiftly sidelined.

Communication within the company suffers from an overriding need for secrecy on even the slightest matters. There is absolutely zero transparency; senior management are well aware of just how incompetent their policies are, but are powerless to do anything about it - the policies and processes that exist would require a herculean effort to uproot and redo. Money is wasted at an alarming rate because management are paralyzed with indecision.

Technology has never been one of Cincinnati's strong points; it's estimated we lag five to eight years behind most other similarly-sized insurance companies. There's been a recent attempt at introducing up-to-date technologies and agile methods, but project management isn't up to the task. The future of entire IT departments are uncertain, as the company has gotten on the outsourcing bandwagon - again, several years behind the rest of the industry.

There's very much an "Us vs Them" attitude in IT; we're constantly butting heads with the various business units over patently unrealistic timelines. Their answer should be put to Gregorian chant music: "Release it on schedule and work on a hot-fix."

Advice to Management

Mr. Johnston, you recently met with IT and shared your belief that we have the best people. Respectfully, we do not. We are bleeding intelligent and skilled engineers because they see the writing on the wall - whether that's because of outsourcing, lack of advancement opportunities, or because they don't get the recognition they deserve. The worst people are being promoted; they have the support from similarly unqualified friends in more senior positions.

Resource managers do nothing to truly evaluate the skill levels of their direct reports. How relevant are the skills of a team lead who has been with the company for 20+ years, yet can't explain what an Object Oriented language is?

Your best people are the ones who are passionate about what they do. When they stop talking and stop sharing their enthusiasm, you know they're headed out the door. Start listening to them. Please.

Look at the experiences of other companies who have outsourced - the ones who are desperately clawing to bring their operations back home. Don't listen to your self-serving cronies on the Board.

Stressfull

Current Employee - Legal Secretary
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

Free Lunch. It was a solid company financialy. It was close to where I lived. Extra day off during holidays.

Cons

I worked for three different departments and they all had different rules about almost everything. None matched the rules in the handbook handed out by the company.

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on middle management. It seems that most of them I came in contact with took their title to mean they had free rein on company rules.

Bad place to work

Former Employee - Underwriter in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

It is easy to get in the door as an insurance professional. No potential to be moved/transferrerd if you enjoy Cincinnati.

Cons

The training program is obsolete and outdated. The underwriters are greatly mismanaged and lack the necessary talent/skills to propely underwrite and negotiate accounts. The pay is on the low end of the insurance scale. You are not compensated for performance but for tenure, no matter how skilled/productive you are as an employee. The morale of the entire company is the most negative I have been around possible. Very few who work in the home office setting are very happy to be employed by CINF. The technology utilized for analysis is vastly underwhelming.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your technology and training modules to be more in line with the insurance inustry. Work to improve the employees morale to increase workers enjoyment and efficiency.

Senior Claims Rep

Current Employee - 30 Years An Adjuster in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - 30 Years An Adjuster in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

Company Car was a nice benefit

Cons

Technology is old and outdated

Advice to Management

Retire

Great company to work for until you are about to reach 20 years and the age of 62

I worked at Cincinnati Financial (More than 10 years)

Pros

As long as the founders had the power & control, this was an ideal career. As a Field Auditor, the fact the Home Office was 450 miles away was irrelevant. This was due to the fabulous Home Office Support. The communication between, our department reviewers, the I.T. Dept., Underwriters, etc. made it possible to be successful in the field.

Cons

2011 The last family member retired and the company hired a CEO, from outside of the company. I have been living with change, every day of my 19 years with Cincinnati but, after the new leadership took the power & control away from individual departments and put Human Resources in charge of generating reviews and other decisions, I became only a clock number. It is no longer the company I was proud to represent.

Advice to Management

They don't want advice, nor would they listen. They are in charge. Period. The remaining Associates, former colleagues have had to conform and find a way to proceed with this new regime and if their close to retirement will probably feel the pressure of being phased out.

10. Contracting at Cincinnati Financial Corporation

Former Employee - Test Analyst in Fairfield, OH
    Former Employee - Test Analyst in Fairfield, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

Nice building and cafeteria. Plenty of free parking.

Cons

Not much training in using their requirements applications for testing their Commercial Insurance applications to test their monthly releases.
    My 6 month contract was not renewed a second time - they were offshoring my position.

Advice to Management

Heard that offshoring the testing of their commercial insurance was later canceled and the testing was brought back to Fairfield Ohio.

Nice place to work for the culture, bad place to work for new technology

Current Employee - Developer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Developer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great, the number of people there allow you to meet at least one person you will get along with, and the environment is quite lax. It is a stable place to work, and layoffs in IT have never happened, or at least that's what I hear. They take care of their employees with events, discounts, and an effort to get you involved with the community. They give additional access to fitness programs, jewelry sales, used car sales, and other items for sale at a discount. They are flexible with your work-life balance. The pay and benefits are better than expected.

Cons

This is a tough place for a younger mind to be in software development. The project we work on is a giant beast whose coding is grounded in some very old practices (Think GOTO statements), and there is little chance to improve anything. "Training" is offered when you start, but it is hardly enough to get you understanding how the code works; rather, it is a brief walkthrough of the website's UI. Documentation is next to nothing, there is no knowledge base, and asking for help is often like a pinball game, where you're bounced from cubicle to cubicle to ask someone else to get an answer. The project is Being an insurance company, there is red tape in every direction, which greatly slows down development. There are some hard headed developers who are adamant about policing other developers, and other developers who are adamant and vocal that their way is right and everything else is wrong. In the end, it can be a very discouraging place to be.

Advice to Management

Let IT be technology centered, not insurance centered. By having development rely on your industry knowledge of insurance, you are losing a lot of bright minds. Be watchful of how involved your team leads are in the team, as some do not actually lead. Promote based on potential you see, not based on time on the job, and reward accordingly. Tear down the cubicles at least halfway and let us have a view. It encourages communication, and improves morale. Create a team solely dedicated to utilities, so those looking for a creative outlet in an otherwise bland project can have encouragement to work hard. Lastly, do not let the HR system boil all of your hard work down to a whole number (1 ~ 5). This encourages only five different levels of employee (Legally able to fire, almost legally able to fire, has a job, works harder than is paid for, has a best friend in HR).

RSS Feed </> Embed