Cincinnati Financial

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.3

Steven J. Johnston

Good internship, not the job for everyone

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

Exposure to upper management and executives, other departments, understanding of opportunities for employment after graduation

Cons

Seems to be little room for growth within the company. Plenty of lateral movement, but little upward.

Need to start buying out some upper management.. Retiring allows for younger people to fill their spot, and keeps everything moving. Too stagnant a work environment for new grads.

Good solid company

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

relaxed environment for a big company
    opportunity to move into other departments if what you're doing isn't a good fit

Cons

limited salary potential with annual raises 2-3%

increase experienced underwriter's salaries, as they are lower than the competitors

Not the same company it used to be

Current Employee - Underwriter in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some nice people to work with.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, stressful. No room for growth within the company.

When I first started with the company many years ago, I was so proud to working at CFC. Everyone was nice, happy, helpful. You put in 45 hours a week and you were good to go. Now, you have to work at least 50 hours to keep your head above water. There is an unspoken expectation that you need to work from home after you put in 8 or more hours at the office.

I believe Mr. Shiff is probably rolling over in his grave right now. The company he started, is not the company that stands today. He started the company with family values and wanted to put family first. He waned his employees happy, he knew them by name. Mr. Johnston has lost sight of the foundation the company was built upon. Even Mr. Shiff Jr. was more about employee happiness not just making money. Don't get me wrong, money keeps the lights on and salaries paid but at what cost? I know more people on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medicaitions now because of the stress there. The majority of staff are unhappy. The CEO needs to starts over and put the employees first.

Not a good experience

Former Employee - Assistant in Fairfield, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant in Fairfield, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Financial as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

A few decent people in the company.

Cons

Outdated technology
    Over worked
    Management/Team Leadership
    Some employee's egos

Update your technology and make full time associates take classes in how to tolerate diversity in the work place. This company has to have some of the most "phobic" people working in it I've ever seen. The Underwriters make fun of their clients as soon as they hang up the phone with them and basically poke fun of everything from their accents to anything else you could imagine. That and they do treat contractors poorly. I worked there for 10 months and they treated me like I was beneath them, but in a "nice" way.

Cincinnati Financial Corporation's Underwriters are a prime example of giving a little person the smallest amount of power...they gain a Napoleon complex.

Awesome Company !

Current Employee - Field Claims Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Field Claims Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company trusts you to do your job, there is no micro-management. Great benefits, great training program and resources, a company that embraces the employees.

Cons

None, this company allows you to do your job, gives you the tools and support.

Keep doing what you do, it is evident that you have cultivated a great environment based on the longevity of tenure of the employees. I am so happy to work for such a great company!

This place is like working in Bedrock.

Current Employee - Administrative Support in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Administrative Support in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A few nice people. The rest kinda let their "titles" go to their heads. Mainly the Underwriters are like this as they think their job is the end all be all of jobs. It's like Really?...Really?...okay...whatever you say Mr. & Mrs. I don't know what I'm doing and need the "Team Leader" to tell me everything but how to blow my nose.

Cons

Remember The Flintstones? Mr. Slate's office had that bird that use to peck out the words or they carved out letters on stone tablets. This place is even more behind the times than that. Their software is so behind the times it's ridiculous. Hey guys...why don't you step boldly into the early 90's and get more modern software! 1983 called and it wants it's programs back! This place is so far behind the times I'm surprised they don't still use Morris Code.

Ditch the "good ole boy/girl" mentality you got going on there. This place is worse than Junior High with it's unofficial little clicks. I'll say this...if you love Football and Baseball (I mean REALLY love it) and talk about it 8 hrs per day...you'll fit in just fine. All while current management ignores the talented and hard workers they do have. Lose this mentality if you want to be a greater success.

My experience at Cincinnati Life Insurance Company has been mediocre so far.

Current Employee - List Bill Specialist Premium Accounting in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - List Bill Specialist Premium Accounting in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stability of company is a plus along with benefits that are offered. Training classes are also offered. Work hours are decent. Excellent lunch room options.

Cons

Hard to be rewarded for your individual abilities and to advance against long time employees. Technology not used to fullest potential by employees. Training classes offered but no time to take them due to workload. HR does not seem to focus on individuals abilities and accept managers recommendations.

Summer Intern, first time experience to insurance. Learned alot in three months

Former Employee - Underwriter in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Financial as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Worked as a summer intern in the commercial lines underwriting department. Underwriting was a good place to start with no prior insurance knowledge, considering it is one of the most important parts of the Insurance industry.

Cons

Very structured, alot of full time employees were over worked and didn't have much flexibility.

Listen to employee feedback.

From A Temp's Point of View.

Current Employee - Assistant in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Easy work for the most part.

Cons

Insincere co-workers who treat temps like a commodity.

Update your painfully outdated software. Have regular employees treat temps as people without sounding fake and insincere. They might try to act friendly towards you, but they are transparent as can be. This place holds their precious underwriters in such high regard but in reality...they're just some people that took a few weeks of training and a lot still don't seem to know what to do. Basically this place needs a lesson in class and humility. If they spent half as much time trying to become a better company and less time talking about Baseball & Football they might accomplish Mr. Johnston's "vision".

It's a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Financial

Pros

It's nice to work with people that are considerate of one another. It's a company with a lot of diversified Associates. The building/environment is very nice. Free parking - free soup/salad bar which are nice perks. Everyone seems to be very respectful of one another. There's good work/life balance.

Cons

Seems to be behind on technology and getting with the times as far as I.T. and social media goes.