Cincinnati Public Schools

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
3.3

CEO

This has been a great place to work.

Current Employee - Site Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

All of the employees are very compassionate and care about the rest of the staff. The managers want to help the interns succeed.

Cons

I have not found any negative things about working here and am only filling this section out because I am required to do so.

Excellent opportunity for personal and professional growth within your current position

Current Employee - Intervention Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Intervention Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training and Development available to staff is outstanding

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for career movement within special education

Find a product that is fundamentally sound and stick with it until you allow it to work. Find the good and Praise it in employees.

No reviews or feedback for substitute teachers until the end of the year until it is too late

Former Employee - Class III Substitute Teacher in New Rochelle, NY
    Former Employee - Class III Substitute Teacher in New Rochelle, NY

I worked at Cincinnati Public Schools part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wide diversity of schools, students, teachers and principals. Many times, vice principals or principals will call you directly or you will be dispatched from the central dispatcher.

Cons

Many of the schools are unbearably hot in September and October and in late May and June. Most of the buildings were built in the 1930's and it is just too expensive to retrofit. Some rooms have room air conditions but they are undersized.

In two years, not a single principal came in to observe me and give me feedback on my teaching. This is so important for substitute teachers.

I had a great experience with Cincinnati Public Schools as an educator.

Former Employee - Long-term Substitute Teacher in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Long-term Substitute Teacher in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cincinnati Public Schools as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good reasons to work here: (1) bi-weekly pay (2) Assignments are available regularly. (3) working with kids can be very rewarding.

Cons

Some challenges: (1) all schools are not equal. (2) Lesson plans are not always available. (3) All children are not the same.

Overalll, happy to work there.

Current Employee - Teacher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Teacher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great kids. Good salary ( pays very well compared to other states districts.) Great benefits.

Cons

They have issues just like every other education system in America.

It is unfortunate

I worked at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with the children and families is such a pleasure and why I originally went into the field of education. I enjoy advocating on behave of our children.

Cons

Cincinnati Public Schools, (CPS) administration is consumed by power hungry, conniving individuals who have lost their focus on children. The CPS Board is filled with corruption as well. It is not what we can do for the children but rather who has influence. Most families have difficulty advocating for their child's educational rights and CPS admin and board members take advantage of this weakness. Be careful, as an employee, if you advocate for families and have to challenge administration to comply with state educational laws, you will be targeted for elimination and HR will support administrative decisions at all costs. The day I resigned from CPS, I felt a weight had been lifted.

There is no advice that can be given. The administration needs a full overhaul.

I instruct, tutor, assess, and monitor inner city K-3 students.

Current Employee - Educational Paraprofessional in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Educational Paraprofessional in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Duties depend on the needs of the teacher and the school. Presently I am helping with classroom instruction and management as well as providing remedial tutoring. High satisfaction work; it's teaching with no paperwork required!

Cons

Compensation is awful. Monitoring the lunchroom and playground can be tedious at best, and nerve wracking at worst. I.A. resources and talent are wasted on this task.

Some schools and teachers only need glorified baby sitters / secretaries. Many people whose spouses make a good salary are attracted to these duties. But start paying decent salaries to those who are taking over the role of instructor in overcrowded, underfunded schools!

Great!

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools

Pros

None at all to tell at this time

Cons

Kids are so bad and behavior problems

None

Corrupt, Nepotistic Sham of Taxpayer Fiduciary Abuse

Current Employee - Instructor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Instructor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely none at all if you are not related to an administrator, embezzling money for them, or sleeping with one.

Cons

Financial corruption, test score cheating, union corruption, racism, classism, evil administration

CPS is an enjoyable place to work with great pay and good benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cincinnati Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth - I received two promotions in my first 5 years.
    Great pay and benenfits.

Cons

Once you get so far up on the career ladder, you stall. Unless you have inside connections with the big dog, you won't go any further.