CineMassive Displays

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Minnix

The Best Job I've Ever Had

ProsIt's a lot of work, and I count that as a pro. It's not pushing paper, spending more time on your power points to impress management than you did on the data, or digging through SOP's. Instead, it's the type of place that if you have a good idea, you can write a new SOP. I've never had an opportunity to work with a more intelligent or motivated group of people. The company is on the bleeding edge in it's niche and has a very refreshing focus on it's own improvement. You'd be very hard pressed to find a company of this size that invests more in it's employees, from training programs to certifications. It's a small company, and it's been great to grow with it. They hire primarily from within, so as it grows and new positions open up, they work hard to help you help yourself towards it. For those who want it, there is a distinctive work hard play hard environment and for the rest the hours are usually descent hours (see cons). The customers and clients you get to work with alone make this company a great experience. Ideal for the auto-didactic and motivated.

ConsIt's a small company, especially for the amount of work involved. Competency (or a desire for it if your entry level) is critical, and there's not a lot of room for pride. It can be intimidating at first. People often have to wear a number of hats (I count this as a pro, personally), and if your looking for just a job and ignore the continual learning, you'll get outpaced pretty quickly. The hours in certain departments can be pretty hectic as well simply because the team is so small, but this seems to be getting better as the company grows. The CEO's take a little bit to get used to, but they're pretty decent folk once you get to know them. Sometimes communication is a little difficult and takes some diplomacy. No 401k.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Sometimes it wouldn't hurt to nod and listen sometimes.

Those Who Work Out Have A Great Time

ProsCineMassive is a constantly evolving company. Those who have hung in for the long haul and earned their way keep seeing things evolving for the better in almost every way at this growing company. Those who wanted an easy ride or expected their managers to reward talent without achievement or who spent more time criticizing others than trying to get focus on their own work peal off and resent everyone else's good experience. Over the years, some really great talent has come to stay and has attracted more talent. Right now the overall growth of the company and the collective intelligence of the group has helped the company make great strides. Management's focus on autonomy and results is tough for some but great for others, and the people who like it really like being around other people who like to do good work and get things done.

If you are looking at CineMassive as a place to work, my advise would be to take someone who currently works there to lunch and ask them about it. The people who complain on these boards are usually the people who didn't work out (even if they claim to be a current employees), and they didn't work out because they are always looking outside of themselves to explain why their life sucks.

If you like working with smart people on challenging projects that really matter to CineMassive's customers, then this place is great. But if you just think you like those things and actually have a hard time getting results, then the best people at CineMassive are going to start to notice you're more talk than walk and you'll start to feel like you don't belong. It's rough but this is a company for smart achievers, not another pit stop on the way to mediocrity.

ConsThis is a fast growing company with a lot of different types of people. If you don't know how to get along with different types of talent, it can feel a bit alienating. There is no mandatory team building although there are a lot of events to participate in if you want. This company will challenge you to use your creativity and ambition to plot your own course. If you aren't comfortable with that, there may not be a lot of roles at CineMassive for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to get rid of the people who aren't working out faster so they don't stick around and become actively disgruntled. Other than that, keep building a great business with a great culture and a ton of really smart, hard working people.

Great opportunity to grow personally and professionally

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCineMassive so far has been a great place to work. I accepted the job offer in part because of the "promise" of flexibility and autonomy. I have not been disappointed. However, I have been challenged by the trade-offs. In my previous jobs, I had no say in the "what", "how", and "who" of things getting done. If things went wrong, I just shook my head and chalked it up to other's incompetency. Now, I am constantly being challenged to help develop or optimize processes and workflows. At CM, I am part of defining how things get done, so I can't just walk away. I have to make it better. I have to become better. But that's why I joined a small company. I hate not knowing how I stack up. Before, I was never quite sure how my work contributed to company growth. Here, I am aware of it everyday. That can be a bit intimidating at first, especially when the feedback comes from one of the co-founders. But, my access to them allows me constant view into our goals and strategies. I get to see the full picture.

ConsParking is tough. But my commute and the location is sweet and we have plans to build out more parking before end of year.

Advice to Senior ManagementDedicate some time to specifically talk to your people about their prior employment experiences. Both parties will benefit from remembering who special we are.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Self-managed roles, zero interaction with manager, 2 hour lunch breaks...but what about professional growth?

Business Development (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsDecent pay and you work across from Sweetwater brewing Co. Hard working individual effort by can easily outshine other co-workers performance (when manager needs something). Management is very intelligent, in respect to certain topics.

ConsYou are rebranding samsung, dell, lg, ASUS monitors, yet tell the customer it is made in USA. Slapping a sticker on other people's hard work does not justify being made in the USA. Parking lot with 0 parking in front of your own building. Dim-lit building with white walls and no windows. Leadership is not very mature or prepared to handle questions. You work across from a brewery - yet never try to take employees out. The only positive is that the team members really try harder to help the culture while the management keeps the culture and open conversations to a minimum. If you are in sales or ops management you are going to be plenty busy with customer complaints. Management is always stressing and HR walks around in gym clothes. Not for the professional minded individual looking for growth into a long-term career.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your nose out of the books and take a look around you for once. Your environment is stale and people are leaving or looking to leave right after you hire them. Please stop lying to your customers about making the product in your "warehouse". Take some pride in what you actually do..you rebrand and you write code.

Great place to gain experience and grow as a professional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsMy colleagues were intelligent, hardworking, and nobody took themselves too seriously. The owners and management genuinely cared about their employees. Most importantly, they encouraged and highly valued team input. As a small company, we all had to wear many different hats, but what was unique about it was being able to see the entire chain from idea to execution at all different stages and areas of the company. I think the best part of my experience at CineMassive was seeing myself and others be given the opportunity to explore and grow professionally in the areas that would help in our careers.

ConsI am required to put something here, so all I can say is that while I worked here, the company experienced tremendous growth, so parking spaces became scarce.

High staff turnover, year over year. Founding members micromanage all staff at the task level.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood entry-level stepping stone to spend a year or two in a fast paced environment while planning next career move.

Good for people seeking temporary work.

Good for people that like constant supervision and direction from the ownership level.

ConsFounding Members of CineMassive (CMD) are involved at every level of the business with a slanted priority to profitability rather than customer satisfaction. Years of unhappy customers are building up and upon joining the CMD team you will rapidly have to triage existing customer issues and accounts managed by the founding members, greatly reducing morale for the majority of the staff on a consistent basis who, both former and present are committed to serving the client in spite of the limitations. Many of the former CMD employees have moved on to successful ventures with success not attainable at CMD and past employees and present employees have always had a commitment to excellence limited by the overarching and debilitating management style and lack of integrity of the founder members of CineMassive.

Founding members of the company started the company straight out of college, so their management style is at the task level of every discipline and decision within the organization. Unfortunately, Mr. Kaufmann and Mr. Minnix have never worked for any other company, with this venture being their sole career path. This is evident with their 'learn as you go style' witnessed during my time at the company. Unfortunately, reading trendy, popular books and blogs on running successfully companies do not teach the core skills required to deliver. Moreover, core values are not just a marketing blurb.

CineMassive has built a brand via intelligent marketing and a well timed go-to-market strategy, providing the founding members early and profitable success, but consistently fails to become a company that delivers on their promises to clients and employees.

Great place for self-managed entrepreneurial professionals

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCMD is a private company run by its founders. Employees collaborate directly with the top decision makers daily. For people who are can show-and-prove, there is no better situation. No one can stand in the way of your good work being noticed and valued by those who have incentive to reward proven success.

ConsAs a small company there are limited opportunities for employees to exercise their need to connect with othes on a social level. As a relatively new company, the team dynamics/culture is evolving with the growth of the company. Sometimes aspects of the team culture lag behind team dynamics. Other times a few people hijack the culture for periods of time for their own selfish reasons.

Worked for CineMassive Displays? Contribute to the Community!