Cinemark

Cinemark Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock

Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately(in 121 reviews)

• Free popcorn and drinks when you're working(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad(in 19 reviews)

• Unbelievably rude customers (most of what they complain about is completely out of your control)(in 11 reviews)

Good company overall. Always expanding, acquiring and opening additional theaters.

Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsFun, high-energy environment. Fun staff and managers...easy to make friends at work. Flexible scheduling, free movies.

ConsLow pay. Very big difference in pay between senior assistant manager and general manager, yet senior assistant does as much or more as far as running the building. Only way to make a decent living is to be a general manager but those spots are very hard to get because so many SAMS apply for the few that are available each year. The excuse they give for not paying SAMs and AMs better is that they want them to aspire to be GMs---but so few GM opportunities exist and it is extremely difficult to get promoted to GM due to the large amount of applicants.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better across the board. Why pay staff just minimum wage or barely above and managers not much more than floor staff? Funny how when the minimum wage is higher in a city or state, there is no problem paying that and staying in business, but this company (and most others) need to be forced to pay higher wages by local minmum wage laws rather than doing the honorable thing in the first place and pay a living wage.

Felt unsupported and often taken advantage of by management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree popcorn and movies. Reasonably flexible management staff, except for the GM.

ConsLow pay, no/minimal raises or incentives.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your subordinates with respect and you'll most certainly get it in return. Treat them like crap, well...

Good, but stricter than Rave

Crew Member (Former Employee) Centreville, VA

Pros-free movie passes (limited; depends on location)
    -free posters if there are extras
    -free soda and popcorn while working
    -a few employee prescreening for movies throughout the year

ConsAs with any job in service, some people are just morons/rude/clueless/messy, and you are the one to have to deal with it.
    -Some customers have unrealistic expectations.
    -Kids shows are the worst to clean.
    -When concessions equipment breaks down or stock runs out, customers sometimes get irrationally angry and blame you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Respect and it will probably never change.

Usher/Concessesions (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFree movie tickets and popcorn, you get to work with some great co-workers that can light up your day. A 50% discount only on your scheduled breaks and no other time.

ConsManagers are always walking out on the job and when you need them, they wait at least 10 minutes before they show up.
    A manager tells you to do one thing and then another manager say's something different and then yells at you saying that you are the wrong one.
    Customers yelling at you and belittling you for some rule corporate made and sometimes the through things at you.
    They cut your work hours and then LIE to you saying that the state changed the part time labor law.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees by not spreading rumors about them, giving them nicknames, and belittling them any chance you get just to make yourself feel better.

Good for learning but not a career.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou learn a lot and most of the time it is flexible hours so you can go to school and do other things. Free movies.

ConsYou start to hate holidays. EVERY holiday is very very busy and no guest is in the holiday spirit for some reason each one is upset. Nothing is constant. The managers pick and choose which rules to go by. I've also just found out I am getting paid as much as a regular employee and considering I am a manager this is ridiculous. Also, there are a lot of things management is too lazy to buy. Anything done with a computer is basically from the 90's. There is no motivation to do better. You get paid the exact same whether you are working really hard or you do absolutely nothing. Actually it may change your raise by a cent or two.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more and you won't have to keep hiring new ones. Spend money on technology.

Wonder why they can't keep good employees

Crew Member (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFree movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately free movies is the only perk worth mentioning)

ConsFew hours even after promise of full time. Disregard for employees needs when scheduling and then cutting hours. Cannot accept tips. I'd stay if it offered any kind of stability.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't over-schedule with the intent to cut shifts. (Example: I was requested to work Christmas, Christmas eve, New years eve and Day with the promise of a lot of hours. I gave up my kids for those holidays because I needed the money. All those shifts except one were cut either the day before or day of. I ended up getting 15 hours total which was less than my usual average)

They promote 18 year olds to management positions because they can count stacks of popcorn rather than manage people. Most senior management is in the office and the junior management are best friends with employees.

It was ok

Utility (Former Employee) Napa, CA

ProsFree movies were great but the venue I worked at was pretty horrible. It has recently been moved to a new location and this has changed it to an even greater experience. Free movies are one of the only things I liked about this job.

ConsManagement often times was hard to get along with. The pay wasn't competitive and it wasn't very much. When it's busy it makes it seem like the pay isn't worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more positive about the work that is required. Don't act like the people who work under you are worthless, treat them with respect.

Good high school/college job. Experience depends largely on attitude of the GM/senior managers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree movies (not on weekends or holidays, can only bring 1 guest), free popcorn/drink on breaks, flexible in some respects.

ConsNo benefits, pretty low pay, never have weekends off, often have to work late. Typical theater job.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture is largely based on friendships. This tends to reduce professionalism and promote favoritism. Policies need to be enforced, or canceled. Many "policies" were systematically violated. Also, a more positive work environment would be helpful. And better pay.

Fun Job.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsAs a manager its fun to experience young people and their first job. Its exciting to be able to have an impact like that. Free movies... I don't think I could ever go back to having to pay. Being a manager is definitely better than being regular floorstaff. Weekends are fun because its just so busy.

ConsIt can get boring during the week when it's slower. The online training required for AMs to become senior managers is kind of ridiculous and extremely redundant.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand making the effort to have online training and to be sure that AMs know the ropes before they can be considered SAMs but what is in place now is redundant and frustrating. I feel like I'm going around in circles and am not learning really anything.

Great job for managerial experience, difficult to advance.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsFlexible schedule, smooth process to switch shifts, ability to be cross trained in every department, good perks (free movies, discounted concession items on breaks)

ConsPoor pay raises which are eventually capped, management was inconsistent with following own policies, management training could only be down onsite and it is tedious and comparable to several college courses in one bundle

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more consistent with allowing employees to have the power to make the customer happy. Enforce discipline and remove employees who never improve or whose performance falls below job qualifications.

Worked for Cinemark? Contribute to the Community!