Cinemark

Cinemark Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock

Alan W. Stock

Pros:
  • "Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately"
    in 88 reviews
  • "Free movies, free popcorn & free drinks during your shift"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Having to deal with rude customers and people who complain how much they have to pay for food"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good, but stricter than Rave

Crew Member (Former Employee)
Centreville, VA

I worked at Cinemark part-time for more than a year

Pros-free movie passes (limited; depends on location)
-free posters if there are extras
-free soda and popcorn while working
-a few employee prescreening for movies throughout the year

ConsAs with any job in service, some people are just morons/rude/clueless/messy, and you are the one to have to deal with it.
-Some customers have unrealistic expectations.
-Kids shows are the worst to clean.
-When concessions equipment breaks down or stock runs out, customers sometimes get irrationally angry and blame you.

Fun Job.

The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than a year

ProsAs a manager its fun to experience young people and their first job. Its exciting to be able to have an impact like that. Free movies... I don't think I could ever go back to having to pay. Being a manager is definitely better than being regular floorstaff. Weekends are fun because its just so busy.

ConsIt can get boring during the week when it's slower. The online training required for AMs to become senior managers is kind of ridiculous and extremely redundant.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand making the effort to have online training and to be sure that AMs know the ropes before they can be considered SAMs but what is in place now is redundant and frustrating. I feel like I'm going around in circles and am not learning really anything.

Great job for managerial experience, difficult to advance.

Orem, UT

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedule, smooth process to switch shifts, ability to be cross trained in every department, good perks (free movies, discounted concession items on breaks)

ConsPoor pay raises which are eventually capped, management was inconsistent with following own policies, management training could only be down onsite and it is tedious and comparable to several college courses in one bundle

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more consistent with allowing employees to have the power to make the customer happy. Enforce discipline and remove employees who never improve or whose performance falls below job qualifications.

Good company to work for

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAlways something new and interesting. Free movies are a plus. As a manager the pay isn't that great but once you move up to a senior assistant and to GM, it's worth it. 401k and benefits come with it. If not, it's good job only to get through school after that you need to move on.

Also, as an assistant you learn a lot about the overall operation of the company. It's great because it can be applied in many areas of business. Experience of that nature alone helped many former employees get the job opportunities they wanted

ConsHolidays, nights and weekends are a must. In the Off peak season, the hours are bare bone. Late hours up to 3 am at times. This company will completely take advantage of you if you let them. Your experience here solely depends on the management team, a good one will make it enjoyable to work here.

Everyone is expendable and they don't value their employees. Management is taken care of. Little more. So this is a good job for management, nothing lower

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp assistants get to SAM level if they deserve it. A lot of talent and hard working managers leave because of the lack of benefits and pay. Don't take them for granted, they are the ones who get the GMs promoted by helping with the overall operation

Wonder why they can't keep good employees

Crew Member (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for less than a year

ProsFree movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately free movies is the only perk worth mentioning)

ConsFew hours even after promise of full time. Disregard for employees needs when scheduling and then cutting hours. Cannot accept tips. I'd stay if it offered any kind of stability.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't over-schedule with the intent to cut shifts. (Example: I was requested to work Christmas, Christmas eve, New years eve and Day with the promise of a lot of hours. I gave up my kids for those holidays because I needed the money. All those shifts except one were cut either the day before or day of. I ended up getting 15 hours total which was less than my usual average)

They promote 18 year olds to management positions because they can count stacks of popcorn rather than manage people. Most senior management is in the office and the junior management are best friends with employees.

Good high school/college job. Experience depends largely on attitude of the GM/senior managers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cinemark

ProsFree movies (not on weekends or holidays, can only bring 1 guest), free popcorn/drink on breaks, flexible in some respects.

ConsNo benefits, pretty low pay, never have weekends off, often have to work late. Typical theater job.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture is largely based on friendships. This tends to reduce professionalism and promote favoritism. Policies need to be enforced, or canceled. Many "policies" were systematically violated. Also, a more positive work environment would be helpful. And better pay.

It was ok

Utility (Former Employee)
Napa, CA

I worked at Cinemark full-time for less than a year

ProsFree movies were great but the venue I worked at was pretty horrible. It has recently been moved to a new location and this has changed it to an even greater experience. Free movies are one of the only things I liked about this job.

ConsManagement often times was hard to get along with. The pay wasn't competitive and it wasn't very much. When it's busy it makes it seem like the pay isn't worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more positive about the work that is required. Don't act like the people who work under you are worthless, treat them with respect.

After a while, you hate coming to work.

Usher/Concessesions/Box Office (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree movies, good coworkers, plenty of hours, flexible schedule (except for weekends, you should be available on weekends)

ConsMinimum wage, very small raises (could be as low as a 10 cents), poor leadership, rude customers, very late hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo upper management, I would advise making sure the general managers are not being unfair. If we were to get drinks or pull out our cell phones on the floor it would be a write up, suspension, or even termination. Yet managers and especially general managers just walk out and get soda, ice cream, nachos, pop corn, and use their smart phones. Lead by example, guys.

Working at this location is hell! Management are inconsiderable and unprofessional! Seek employment elsewhere!

Usher/Concessions (Former Employee)
San Bruno, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time for more than a year

ProsFree movies and popcorn if "privileges" aren't retracted.

ConsManagement are pricks! They like to abuse their authority by yelling at their staff, over random things that isn't their fault. If you want to advance into another position e.g. becoming a manager, your only chose to become one if management favors you. So there isn't any chance of advancement. Coworkers love to gossip and are cliquish since majority of them graduated from high school and attends community college. Entitled customers that will love to make your life miserable i.e. yelling at you for no apparent reason, creates huge messes for their amusement , and will ask the most idiotic questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow respect to each of your staff and create innovative incentives! Without incentives there isn't any motivations to come to work. Also, you guys have to stop acting jovial and act your age, any trained simpleton can have your job, because it doesn't require any skills so stop being complacent.

Decent for a first job or any High school (maybe college) student.

Crew Member (Former Employee)
Hanover, MD

I worked at Cinemark part-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, freebies (movies, popcorn, fountain), great place to meet friends, perfect for a first job and introduction to customer service and suggested selling.

ConsLow pay, hard to get a raise, feels like high school all over again lol, working on holidays is a must.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive raises!

Worked for Cinemark? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cinemark reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock. All 170 reviews posted anonymously by Cinemark employees.