Cinemark Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock
Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately (in 142 reviews)

• Free movies, free popcorn and drinks during break (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad (in 22 reviews)

• If nights, weekends and holidays are a deal breaker, you should avoid all movie theatres (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Perfect job to start your career with

Current Employee - Usher in Cedar Park, TX
    Current Employee - Usher in Cedar Park, TX

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great amenities, free movies, free popcorn and soda. A perfect high school, first time job! At times we were even paid to screen movies.

Cons

The job can get pretty dirty. And we did not get new shirts that often which is unfortunate due to the filth we had to clean up sometimes.

They were actually pretty nice, I really enjoyed working here.

Great Place to work if you like operations.

Current Employee - Cashier in Woodridge, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you want to stay within the operations portion of the company.

Cons

Hard to move into anything but operations and pay is low

Find better uses for your some of you human assets that you already have.

Ok for a starter, not necessarily a good career

Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked there several years ago, so things might've changed somewhat, but the free movies, free drinks and popcorn on shift, and the people I directly worked with were what made my time there better. Fast-paced work, ALWAYS moving, but some real madhattery happened whist I was there. Oh, and giveaway posters were a plus

Cons

Management can be somewhat out of touch at times. They still run a tight ship but could loosen up here and there, on the smaller issues. Also, lack of business at times will cut into hours, and thus, paychecks. The rush can be insane on opening weekends

OK for part-time

Former Employee - Concessions in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Concessions in Boulder, CO

I worked at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seeing movies for free if tickets are available
    Discounts for food purchased while working
    Interactions with customers
    Relatively easy work

Cons

-Random schedule
    -Filling in for people who skip over the holidays
    -Many managers (not always clear who to report to)

More set schedules to work around

It was fine.

Former Employee - Employee in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Chico, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid. The job is easy and the hours are flexible. You can see free movies. Generally work with good people.

Cons

You don't get paid much. It's a customer service job, so you have to deal with a lot of short tempered people and children.

Realize that very few people see this job as an actual career, and therefore aren't going to put a lot of effort into it for advancement opportunities. Give perks for effort instead.

Meh

Former Employee - Concessions/Usher in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Concessions/Usher in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free movies anytime, plus, extra free tickets weekly for friends and family.

Cons

The management is ridiculous. Most of the managers are in their early 20's and seem to think that being one of 7 part time managers at a movie theater gives them power over people. Most of them don't really know, or don't care about, the law, in regards to labor, as it is regularly broken. They routinely impose skipped/late lunches and breaks, and clock you in and out so that there isn't a paper trail. Aside from the management, a large portion of the employees hired are entirely incompetent. Because most people are simply there for a summer, or a school break, etc. they don't feel any responsibility to maintain any kind of professional demeanor, (some even sell drugs at work), and as such, it can be an awful place to work for those that are professional. The worst part about working here, however, is that the managers are actively encouraged to befriend you on social media, and if you say anything that might be considered negative about your work experience, you are punished with fewer hours, or, sometimes, loss of whole weeks. Also, working only 15-20 hours a week is absurd, especially when they actively discourage having multiple jobs.

Train jr managers better. Hire better staff. Provide better incentives for higher caliber employees. Give a reasonable number of hours.

The Good (people), the Bad (restroom), and the Ugly (shifts).

Former Employee - Usher in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Usher in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Despite the late night shifts, it definitely fits around my schedule. Plus, working and collaborating with my colleagues makes it easier.

Cons

As an usher, the late night shifts can be a little boring at times (especially with college) and it can be slow during the workweek.

I understand cleaning restrooms is mandatory, but my advice is to have a plunger nearby at all times. It's not quite fun to use your hands.

Great job for college/high school students, but low pay.

Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Cinemark (more than an year)

Pros

Cinemark is a fun, team-oriented company. You can improve on your people skills and learn invaluable lessons that will benefit your future endeavors.

Cons

The largest con with Cinemark would have to be the pay. It is great as a part-time job, but do not expect to make much more than your starting minimum wage (even with a promotion to management). The late hours can also be somewhat grueling.

Great first time job or college job

Current Employee - Concessions in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Concessions in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people are fun to work with, great first or second job as it's mostly students and you get a lot of experience in many different areas (food, customer service, cash handling, etc)

Cons

if you work evenings you are going to work until midnight or later, most of the management are between 19-25 and most aren't great at disciplining and enforcing rules, making it difficult for employees who actually abide by the rules and want to work hard and grow in the company. If you work for cinemark, you will work black friday, thanksgiving and christmas, as my managers put it, everyone works christmas, period (even them).

They need to be more professional and learn that being a manager isn't about being liked, it's about making sure the employees learn what they need to and do their job correctly and efficiently.

Easy going job

Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good benefits (free movies food)

Cons

Managers are pretty young
    Customers are sometimes annoying to deal with
    Future is always up in the air

No complaints