Cinemark Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
3.1

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock
Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately (in 134 reviews)

• Free movies, free popcorn and drinks during break (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad (in 21 reviews)

• Unbelievably rude customers (most of what they complain about is completely out of your control) (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

This place is family.

Current Employee - Concessionist  in  Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Concessionist in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers support you when you fall down and help you pick yourself back up. Family!!

Cons

Pay never goes above 8.25 for crew which is unfair to the good employees.

To the upper upper people who deal with stocks and the business or whatever. You guys need to find someway to pay your employees more. A lot of them come for the experience at working at a movie theater. Then they leave for many reasons, but the main one is the pay. Do something to fix this.

A nice part time job

Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for less than a year

Pros

First off this was a part time job for me so I liked the perk of free movies for something I wasn't devoting a lot of time to.

Cons

Working closing shifts there was an expectation that you cant leave till everything is cleaned (most of the time closing by yourself). And on these solo nights they didnt work well with you with conflicting time schedules. Ie: I was approaching the maximum time to work in a day and mentioned that I was about to go over and if I could clock out. They said not till I'm done cleaning and they've inspected it. I finished cleaning. Clocked out (this was after the max time) and then got written up. I have military experience so I'm all about moving with a purpose and was not a slow worker. Regardless got that write up. Changed my schedule so I didn't work nights anymore because it was essentially a trap.

Make it so employees never close alone.

Not recommended for long term employment

I have been working at Cinemark

Pros

-Very good part time job due to shift ranges

Cons

-Bad upper management at multiple locations

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Turf wars between departments

I worked at Cinemark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved getting into free movies. Pay & benefits were good but no bonuses unless you are a director or higher.

Cons

Hard to work with other departments due to turf wars. Little room for advancement since directors & higher never leave or get promoted often. Only way to advance is to move to other departments. No incentives to save money for company.

Cinemark has been a home away from home for me,

Current Employee - Usher, Concession, Box Office  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Usher, Concession, Box Office in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone here is connected, we are like one big family when we work together, and we all are there for each other when times are rushed and customers are difficult, this includes management.
    Also, you get free movies and that's pretty cool.

Cons

Minimum wage is not enough for the type of customers we have to handle on a daily basis, and definitely not enough for the busy holiday times.
    Not enough room to move up in the company, and if you do, it still isn't enough.
    We can't work over 26 hours anymore so it's difficult to live off of.

Corporate should focus on making the pay for this job better, even for management. They should care more about their employees than they do.

Great Team, Low Pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities for resume development--because we're typically low on payroll, you frequently get to be a jack of all trades and learn to be creative with scheduling and usage of hours.
    It's certainly a fun & active environment. No two days are ever the same.
    It's nice that promoting from within is encouraged, but it takes awhile to move up because you essentially have to wait for GMs to leave the company while they shift enough people around from theater to theater until a low level theater opens up for you to take over. Lateral moves are easier--Senior Assistant Manager to Auditor or something of the like.

Cons

It's hard to achieve both building success and work-life balance while working for a theater as management because you essentially must always have eyes on it. And the minute you take your eyes from it, that's likely the day an auditor walks through the doors. It's not that success isn't possible, it's that with the strong eye always on payroll hours, building performance suffers. And with pay being extremely low for the relative responsibilities, you either become a workaholic, or you suffer with low scores.

Increase pay. "Managers" should never be making less than $10. That's a "Supervisor" rate. Bring back the supervisor role as intermediary between management and entry-level staff. Improve stepping stones from one level to another so that promotions aren't such leaps.

Corporate doesn't seem to be involved. Every theater seems to be run different.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Cinemark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The job in its self is pretty easy if you can handle guests who think they're entitled to star treatment. Plus you get free movies and the scheduling is pretty flexible. I enjoyed the work and at the time i worked there everyone was around my age. Floor staff is usually 16-18. Managers are 19-25 usually.

Cons

Pay for managers isn't enough. the difference in pay between my floor staff position and manager position was $.63 difference for a lot more work and responsibility. At least at my theater policies weren't strictly followed and managers were just as bad as employees. Our theater manager slept with employees, managers would throw expired milk gallons off the roof. employees were constantly on cell phone or snacking on the job but that's how things were run. Every now and then when someone from corporate or our regional manager stopped by things briefly got serious. We'd have 16 and 17 year olds either come in at 7 am or stay after their shift till 2 am deep cleaning the theater to make it look presentable. Employees would get fired for a policy that they broke 4 months prior, like buying one scoop of ice cream but getting 2 instead. everything was inconsistent.

Reward your staff that doesn't belong to corporate, the people who are the faces of Cinemark. Keep things consistent.

It Was Okay

I have been working at Cinemark

Pros

Free Movies
    Cheaper food when working.

Cons

Hard/ Dangerous work. Mostly everyone behind the stand had one or two burns to show from cleaning the equipment. Not worth it at that pay.

So much work no bennifets, no decent pay, no recognition!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Jacinto City, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Jacinto City, TX

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Gm, and manager peers. Free movies and atmosphere.

Cons

Pay is terrible for all the work of a assistant manager. There are no beenifets for worker or family. The recognition is just about non existent. Corperate does not investigate employee vs manager issues properly.

Listen to what your managers have to say as they are the life's blood to any theaters success or failure. Please please up the pay.

Fun, fun, fun!!

I worked at Cinemark

Pros

Free movies. Free drinks. Freeeee popcorn

Cons

When customers wait to long they get aggravated and try to take their frustration out on us!

I think everyone should get paid more than minimum wage

Cinemark Photos

Worked for Cinemark? Contribute to the Community!