Cinemark

Cinemark Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock

Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately(in 121 reviews)

• Free popcorn and drinks when you're working(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad(in 19 reviews)

• Unbelievably rude customers (most of what they complain about is completely out of your control)(in 11 reviews)

Flexible hours and free movies

Box Office Cashier (Former Employee) Woodridge, IL

ProsHours are flexible and management is willing to help schedule you around conflicts as long as you give enough notice. Both the employees and the management made for a good working environment.

ConsCan get very dull during the week when it's slow, especially if you're all alone in the box office like I was. Customers can also sometimes be a hassle, there are always those people that think if they yell long and loud enough they can get free tickets.

Easy work for minimum wage.

Usher/Concessesions/Box Office/Maintenance (Current Employee) Palmdale, CA

ProsFlexible hours are good for students. Super easy job... you can literally do the work half asleep or even hungover (Personal experience. It's that easy.). The staff and managers are very nice and accommodating as long as you do your job. Free movies and 50% off concession food during break time is also really nice. In addition, you can sometimes request free movie posters and movie stands after the movie has premiered.

ConsCustomers can be very rude, but that's to be expected in the service industry. Required to work weekends and holidays. Also don't stay too long or else you'll get stuck in the "Cinemark Sinkhole" and never leave because it's too easy of a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE get rid of the lanyards for the name tags! It gets caught on something at least once a day. For example, just last week, I was placing popping oil under the popper, and the name tag got caught on the box. My head got yanked down and I barely missed smashing my face into the metal frame by about half and inch. It is hazardous and actually spends most of the time flipped around. I understand the need for the purple lanyards to denote underage workers, but those at least over 18 should go back to the clip-on name tags, before someone gets really injured.

Concessions

Concessionist (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsFun place to work and a great work environment for a part time gig.

ConsYou smell like popcorn (this could be a Pro). Decent pay and benefits (popcorn) and movie perks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They Can Do Better

Bartender (Current Employee) Culver City, CA

ProsCinemark gave me my very first job as bartender w/ no experience. Good perks too ( free movies).

ConsRestaurant and bar tend to be very slow unless a big movie is premiering or releasing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting kids w/ no education and/or experience over people that do. Effective and competent people need to help run the restaurant. The bar can be very lucrative and financially beneficial to Cinemark if we had a "Happy Hour". There are a lot of Spirits that we should be carrying that we do not (Ciroc Vodka in all flavors, Fireball Whiskey, Basil Hayden, Tito's Vodka, etc.). For my location, please pay more attention to Studio Eats (The Restaurant/Bar).

They won't "Show you the Money"

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a great started job for high school/college studnets. It's fun and you get free movies.
    Insurance is good; 401K matching is definitely a plus.
    Lots of theatres all over the country.

ConsIf you get to Assistant Manager level or above the pay is NOT UP TO PAR, especially when compared to similar duties/job requirements from other companies and industries. If you' get all the way up to General Manager, the corporate office can be a pain. It's 100 emails all day, every day, telling you 1000 things to do that have litle to do with actually running the building and helping customers. Managers cant do their MAIN job because they are too busy answering emails. Also, you're required to work every weekend and holiday - so the work/life balance is non-existant. You're expected to eat, sleep, and breath the theatre, even when its your day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen the purse-strings and pay your people more. If's hard to keep good people when they are paid much less than deserved. Listen to your people; they know the company culture and love and care about the future. Calm down with the emails.

The Patients Ran The Asylum

Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree movies, genuinely simple work.

ConsManagement was a disaster, inexperienced and just not hands on.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire better managers.

Low pay, incompetent management, favoritism, free movies, fun coworkers.

Concessionist (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsFree movies whenever (+1), half off concessions during break, free drinks and popcorn, fun coworkers for the most part, can potentially get a lot of hours.

Cons9 hour shifts with one 30 minute break, AMs act like a clique and only care for the "favorites", management gossips constantly, rude customers, constant secret shoppers, you have to call your managers by their last name even if they are younger than you, I feel like I'm in school at this job, 12 cent raises, no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more for your employees who are doing all of the work for you. Try applauding the floor staff for their accomplishments as opposed to only telling them what they do wrong.

Company executives have their goals in the right place - taking care of employees & customers

General Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun environment, free movies, meet lots of new friends, exciting place to be on opening nights, tons of opportunity to advance all around the country & world.

Consworking weekends & holidays, late nights, dealing with the public and complaints, low starting wage for entry level positions, can get pretty busy during rushes

Advice to Senior Managementhigher pay structures for lower/middle management would be nice

Great Company

ProsFair company to work with as a team. Many opportunities for the right people.

Conswish they had a theatre in hawaii.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do things the way you are it makes the job fun.

Overall Cinemark was a good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree movies, popcorn and a fun atmosphere. Before film was digital, building up and breaking down films were a prestigious art within the film industry and those who could do it got mad respect. It was fun during the holidays if you're into crowds and like spending your Friday nights being the center of attention at the user podium.

ConsAs an assistant manger you're the grunt in the management section. At our theater the general manager made the assistants and senior assistants do everything from changing light bulbs to putting up posters. Not much actual management is done at this level, however, it was still by far the most fun job I've ever had.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know keep it up I suppose.

Worked for Cinemark? Contribute to the Community!