Cinemark

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock
Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately (in 142 reviews)

• Free movies, free popcorn and drinks during break (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad (in 22 reviews)

• If nights, weekends and holidays are a deal breaker, you should avoid all movie theatres (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first job

I worked at Cinemark full-time

Pros

Good experience working for the first time

Cons

Don't care about you well being.

If you work hard as a Team Member, you are not always promoted.

Former Employee - Team Member in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Team Member in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depends on the theater, but ours gave one free movie a day with another person. Great perk. Also if you were one to close concessions, you got to take home the popcorn.

Cons

At my location, raises were only $0.10 each time. Even during high school that was not great.

If you care about your employees, treat them that way.

poor direction, unclear decision making

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Cinemark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fun place to work, for they type of work the pay is decent but could be better

Cons

poor corporate direction; audits are almost meaningless and no actual direction or clarity on the standards

Cons are based on work life balance

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very respectful of my needs and value my input.

Cons

Always on call, schedule is second shift, weekends and ALL holidays, work life balance is hard to create.

Ok for a starter, not necessarily a good career

Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked there several years ago, so things might've changed somewhat, but the free movies, free drinks and popcorn on shift, and the people I directly worked with were what made my time there better. Fast-paced work, ALWAYS moving, but some real madhattery happened whist I was there. Oh, and giveaway posters were a plus

Cons

Management can be somewhat out of touch at times. They still run a tight ship but could loosen up here and there, on the smaller issues. Also, lack of business at times will cut into hours, and thus, paychecks. The rush can be insane on opening weekends

OK for part-time

Former Employee - Concessions in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Concessions in Boulder, CO

I worked at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Seeing movies for free if tickets are available
    Discounts for food purchased while working
    Interactions with customers
    Relatively easy work

Cons

-Random schedule
    -Filling in for people who skip over the holidays
    -Many managers (not always clear who to report to)

More set schedules to work around

It was fine.

Former Employee - Employee in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Chico, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get paid. The job is easy and the hours are flexible. You can see free movies. Generally work with good people.

Cons

You don't get paid much. It's a customer service job, so you have to deal with a lot of short tempered people and children.

Realize that very few people see this job as an actual career, and therefore aren't going to put a lot of effort into it for advancement opportunities. Give perks for effort instead.

Meh

Former Employee - Concessions/Usher in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Concessions/Usher in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free movies anytime, plus, extra free tickets weekly for friends and family.

Cons

The management is ridiculous. Most of the managers are in their early 20's and seem to think that being one of 7 part time managers at a movie theater gives them power over people. Most of them don't really know, or don't care about, the law, in regards to labor, as it is regularly broken. They routinely impose skipped/late lunches and breaks, and clock you in and out so that there isn't a paper trail. Aside from the management, a large portion of the employees hired are entirely incompetent. Because most people are simply there for a summer, or a school break, etc. they don't feel any responsibility to maintain any kind of professional demeanor, (some even sell drugs at work), and as such, it can be an awful place to work for those that are professional. The worst part about working here, however, is that the managers are actively encouraged to befriend you on social media, and if you say anything that might be considered negative about your work experience, you are punished with fewer hours, or, sometimes, loss of whole weeks. Also, working only 15-20 hours a week is absurd, especially when they actively discourage having multiple jobs.

Train jr managers better. Hire better staff. Provide better incentives for higher caliber employees. Give a reasonable number of hours.

Perfect job to start your career with

Current Employee - Usher in Cedar Park, TX
    Current Employee - Usher in Cedar Park, TX

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great amenities, free movies, free popcorn and soda. A perfect high school, first time job! At times we were even paid to screen movies.

Cons

The job can get pretty dirty. And we did not get new shirts that often which is unfortunate due to the filth we had to clean up sometimes.

They were actually pretty nice, I really enjoyed working here.

The Good (people), the Bad (restroom), and the Ugly (shifts).

Former Employee - Usher in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Usher in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Despite the late night shifts, it definitely fits around my schedule. Plus, working and collaborating with my colleagues makes it easier.

Cons

As an usher, the late night shifts can be a little boring at times (especially with college) and it can be slow during the workweek.

I understand cleaning restrooms is mandatory, but my advice is to have a plunger nearby at all times. It's not quite fun to use your hands.

Cinemark Photos