Cinemark Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock
Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately (in 137 reviews)

• Free movies, free popcorn and drinks during break (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad (in 21 reviews)

• If nights, weekends and holidays are a deal breaker, you should avoid all movie theatres (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work if you like operations.

Current Employee - Cashier in Woodridge, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you want to stay within the operations portion of the company.

Cons

Hard to move into anything but operations and pay is low

Find better uses for your some of you human assets that you already have.

Great job for college/high school students, but low pay.

Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Cinemark (more than an year)

Pros

Cinemark is a fun, team-oriented company. You can improve on your people skills and learn invaluable lessons that will benefit your future endeavors.

Cons

The largest con with Cinemark would have to be the pay. It is great as a part-time job, but do not expect to make much more than your starting minimum wage (even with a promotion to management). The late hours can also be somewhat grueling.

Great first time job or college job

Current Employee - Concessions in Folsom, CA
    Current Employee - Concessions in Folsom, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the people are fun to work with, great first or second job as it's mostly students and you get a lot of experience in many different areas (food, customer service, cash handling, etc)

Cons

if you work evenings you are going to work until midnight or later, most of the management are between 19-25 and most aren't great at disciplining and enforcing rules, making it difficult for employees who actually abide by the rules and want to work hard and grow in the company. If you work for cinemark, you will work black friday, thanksgiving and christmas, as my managers put it, everyone works christmas, period (even them).

They need to be more professional and learn that being a manager isn't about being liked, it's about making sure the employees learn what they need to and do their job correctly and efficiently.

Easy going job

Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good benefits (free movies food)

Cons

Managers are pretty young
    Customers are sometimes annoying to deal with
    Future is always up in the air

No complaints

Easy work, grueling hours.

Current Employee - Usher in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Usher in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are fun and easy to be around for the most part
    Pay isn't the worst in the world aka minimum wage
    Both concessions and usher are easy work as long as it's not a busy day, although it usually is

Cons

Minimum amount of shift hours is 5 which is the 6-11 shift on the weekdays, which as a junior in high school is hard to continue doing while keeping a decent grade in school
    Work all the time during weekends and holidays
    Some of the managers were kind of aggressive and rude

Maybe have an available shift that doesn't make you get home at midnight on the weeks. I'm seriously considering going to a different available job just because of the shift times. I'm ALWAYS tired and I've only worked there a week.

Good for high schoolers, bad for anyone else

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun environment, free movies

Cons

Poor wages, no decent benefits, capped hourly wages regardless of years with company, no real opportunities unless you live in Texas.

Increase management hourly wages, add better benefits.

Ideal first job, Flexible with school schedule

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free movies, Popcorn, easy job, easy advancement, scheduling was really easy and flexible, a lot of my coworkers I've met are great people and will continue talking to after employment.

Cons

Long Hours, pay is low even after promotion, a lot of high school kids that don't care so you have to pick up the slack, people get really upset over popcorn, working all weekends and holidays are a given, if you are in concessions you do not get out until 12:30 am or later if it was busy

Let management know they are appreciated more! Often times the assistants are the ones doing all the ground work.

Great Team, Low Pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities for resume development--because we're typically low on payroll, you frequently get to be a jack of all trades and learn to be creative with scheduling and usage of hours.
    It's certainly a fun & active environment. No two days are ever the same.
    It's nice that promoting from within is encouraged, but it takes awhile to move up because you essentially have to wait for GMs to leave the company while they shift enough people around from theater to theater until a low level theater opens up for you to take over. Lateral moves are easier--Senior Assistant Manager to Auditor or something of the like.

Cons

It's hard to achieve both building success and work-life balance while working for a theater as management because you essentially must always have eyes on it. And the minute you take your eyes from it, that's likely the day an auditor walks through the doors. It's not that success isn't possible, it's that with the strong eye always on payroll hours, building performance suffers. And with pay being extremely low for the relative responsibilities, you either become a workaholic, or you suffer with low scores.

Increase pay. "Managers" should never be making less than $10. That's a "Supervisor" rate. Bring back the supervisor role as intermediary between management and entry-level staff. Improve stepping stones from one level to another so that promotions aren't such leaps.

Turf wars between departments

I worked at Cinemark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved getting into free movies. Pay & benefits were good but no bonuses unless you are a director or higher.

Cons

Hard to work with other departments due to turf wars. Little room for advancement since directors & higher never leave or get promoted often. Only way to advance is to move to other departments. No incentives to save money for company.

Cinemark has been a home away from home for me,

Current Employee - Usher, Concession, Box Office in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Usher, Concession, Box Office in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone here is connected, we are like one big family when we work together, and we all are there for each other when times are rushed and customers are difficult, this includes management.
    Also, you get free movies and that's pretty cool.

Cons

Minimum wage is not enough for the type of customers we have to handle on a daily basis, and definitely not enough for the busy holiday times.
    Not enough room to move up in the company, and if you do, it still isn't enough.
    We can't work over 26 hours anymore so it's difficult to live off of.

Corporate should focus on making the pay for this job better, even for management. They should care more about their employees than they do.

Cinemark Photos