Cinemark Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
3.1

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock
Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately (in 121 reviews)

• Free popcorn and drinks when you're working (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad (in 19 reviews)

• Unbelievably rude customers (most of what they complain about is completely out of your control) (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant manager Hourly

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Wooster, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wooster, OH

I worked at Cinemark part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free movies, The job is super chill and stress free.

Cons

Poor management staff who play favorites. They theater i was at let their emotions influence the way they ran the theater. terrible pay. I was wronged by the company.

I had worked for the company for three years and had never been late. After a storm knocked out the power my alarm did not go off. I got a call from floor staff asking where i was at. I immediately rushed to the theater and in a scramble still managed to open the doors in time "15 min before the first showing". It was the movie hop being that it was a kids movie it was insanely busy. Everything went smoothly through the rush and business continued as normal. The next day I had informed my manager about being 30 min late but managed to open on time. She then took me into the office and fired me claiming a customer has complained about the lines and burnt popcorn and then fired me along with black listing me from the company. I find this to be ridiculous that i was let go for being late 30 min the first time in 3 years. Another incident happened with another manager where he was 3 hours late and completely missed the entire first set of movies. so none of the first showings for ten different movies did not play. This manager was reprimanded with a week suspension and a couple years later given his own theater and promoted to gm. This is a big issue I feel like a was wronged and the company plays favorites. This was a job I loved and would have made a career out of but this is just poor company policy. Lucky I haven't sued for mis-conduct.
    Upper management need to be less involved with employee social life and not let their emotions or fav employee run the business for them. People make mistakes they should be understanding of this and not be so quick to ruin someones career based on ridiculous claims.

I hate it here

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for less than a year

Pros

We get free movies and popcorn when we come see a movie. But these are literally the only few perks we have.

Cons

I get paid minimum wage to stand behind a counter for 7 hours at a time and deal with customer who are some of the worst I have ever had to deal with even considering the fact that when you go to a movie theater it is supposed to be a happy and fun experience. The managers at my location are not well trained and my GM is horrible at leading us crew members. We have to wait until Thursday night or even until early Friday morning to receive our schedule from our GM. Heck, I even remember waiting 45 minutes for my interview. Not to mention the equipment is old and we constantly have equipment that need repairs.

Make the crew feel motivated and happy to be at work to the best of your ability. Don't do what my management team is doing and try to constantly point out what we are doing wrong in an attempt to fix it. This just frustrates us and we lose motivation.

Felt unsupported and often taken advantage of by management.

I worked at Cinemark part-time

Pros

Free popcorn and movies. Reasonably flexible management staff, except for the GM.

Cons

Low pay, no/minimal raises or incentives.

Treat your subordinates with respect and you'll most certainly get it in return. Treat them like crap, well...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Respect and it will probably never change.

Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free movie tickets and popcorn, you get to work with some great co-workers that can light up your day. A 50% discount only on your scheduled breaks and no other time.

Cons

Managers are always walking out on the job and when you need them, they wait at least 10 minutes before they show up.
    A manager tells you to do one thing and then another manager say's something different and then yells at you saying that you are the wrong one.
    Customers yelling at you and belittling you for some rule corporate made and sometimes the through things at you.
    They cut your work hours and then LIE to you saying that the state changed the part time labor law.

Respect your employees by not spreading rumors about them, giving them nicknames, and belittling them any chance you get just to make yourself feel better.

Bitter sweet.

Current Employee - Concessions  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Concessions in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free movies, popcorn, and drink.

Cons

There is no work-life balance, no opportunity to grow, and the leadership needs vast improvement.

Replace Management

Working at this location is hell! Management are inconsiderable and unprofessional! Seek employment elsewhere!

Former Employee - Usher/Concessions  in  San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free movies and popcorn if "privileges" aren't retracted.

Cons

Management are pricks! They like to abuse their authority by yelling at their staff, over random things that isn't their fault. If you want to advance into another position e.g. becoming a manager, your only chose to become one if management favors you. So there isn't any chance of advancement. Coworkers love to gossip and are cliquish since majority of them graduated from high school and attends community college. Entitled customers that will love to make your life miserable i.e. yelling at you for no apparent reason, creates huge messes for their amusement , and will ask the most idiotic questions.

Show respect to each of your staff and create innovative incentives! Without incentives there isn't any motivations to come to work. Also, you guys have to stop acting jovial and act your age, any trained simpleton can have your job, because it doesn't require any skills so stop being complacent.

The Real Cinemark

Current Employee - Manager  in  Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are in desperate need of employment and have absolutely no other choice for income, then apply.
    A paycheck

Cons

They promote free movies for employees, but the restrictions are ridiculous. Immediate family only, and you can only use two per day. One for you and one for them. If you are working only one may come. It is insane.....

Discount on products only if you are working, NOT when you come in to see a movie.

This company claims to value their employees before their customers, but working on the inside I beg to differ. Do not advance unless you are in desperate need for a job.

Awful company to work for

Former Employee - Concessionist  in  West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Concessionist in West Jordan, UT

I worked at Cinemark part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-You can do a crappy job and remain employed.
    -Free movies for you and one other person.
    -Discounts on food while working.
    -Some coworkers can be fun to work with/get to socialize.
    -Easy to get days off.

Cons

-Very slow at firing crappy employees
    -Customers can be rude and whine about prices, etc.
    -Pay is terrible for a company that makes millions in pure profit every year.
    -It takes 2 years to get one dollar more in hourly wage and that is if you score perfect on every one of your evaluations.
    -If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad! All of your raises will be wiped out and new hires will probably be making more or the same amount of money as you.
    -Management will lie to you in order to get you to upsale, etc. (My theatre promised us $25 to $50 bucks each and/or a party for reaching upsaleing goals which we did. Got the $25 but never recieved a party or an extra $25 with the rest of the money specifically set aside for reaching our goal. When I brought this up with managment they suspended me for 2 weeks for being ungrateful). (Another time they threatened to fire employees who did the least upsaleing yet nothing happened.)
    -Hours are not based on performance or seniority so if you have worked there for five years and want 30 hours too bad; new and/or crappy employees will take some of your hours.
    -Deliberately overhire in order to make things more convienient for themselves.
    -Never bother to do your evaluations on time so you have to wait extra months in order to get a raise.
    -Don't get paid more money for busier days or number of sales you make.
    -Tedious rules constantly get in the way. For example, if you work a 10 hour shift you have to take two 15 minute breaks seperately. You cannot take them together which makes it hard to eat.
    -They view you as 100% replaceable and not a valuable asset to a team.

Try to actually do your job (such as evals on time, not goofing around) and work on building positive relationships with the staff instead of throwing hissy fits that cut moral and make people hate working there. Also fire the bad employees! You need better regulation of your workforce so the good people don't have to work with idiots.

Very bad, underemployment for the desperate

Current Employee - Usher/Customer Service  in  Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Usher/Customer Service in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for less than a year

Pros

None, free movies, free crappy popcorn and diabetes water (soda)

Cons

take all the crap of a minimum wage job, add impersonal coworkers, management, and inability to offer hours to new employees.

doesn't matter, you will do it the same way for eons to come

Can be fun for a while

Current Employee - Usher  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Usher in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free Popcorn and Movie Passes. Also if you were employed for a year, student employees can apply for a scholarship.

Cons

Unprofessional Management, and unfriendly workers. limited hours(about six hours a week)

I've been working as an usher for three months at the Tanforan Mall located in San Bruno, CA and thought it'd be an excellent experience for a college student, but boy was I wrong. Management treats employees without respect and expects them to be familiar with concession stands within one day of training; an example of this was during Christmas Day, I had to operate the popcorn machine for the first time and when I burnt the popcorn, an assistant manager took over and told an Hispanic employee that I didn't know what I was doing in his native tongue. The Hispanic employee than tried to console me, by telling me that I was doing a "good job"; fortunately I am educated and realize that the employee was trying to send a positive reinforcement message and I responded with a smile. Unknowingly to both employees, I understood what the manager said in Spanish, since I took a beginning conversational Spanish class last semester. Either way what the manager did was unprofessional.

Also it is hard to impress management, no matter how hard an employee works, he/she will never get recognition. I guess its because majority of the managers are Filipinos and their culture is different from the Western Culture, but they do give preferential treatment to the ones who can speak Tagalog(Filipino), I should know because I am a Filipino American yet cannot converse in Tagalog, but can understand the language. Back to my point, if you cannot speak in Tagalog they'll management(Filipino Managers) will gossip behind your back; I've experience this because when I entered the break room about ten Filipino Managers were gossiping about employees and when I had to check my schedule, one of them gave me a stern expression like I wasn't supposed to be there, as I left the room after checking my work schedule one of the managers giggled behind my back. One more point about the management team at this location is that if you are an unfavorable employee they'll cut your hours to six hours a week, and if that unfavorable employee is scheduled to work on the next day, he/she will be notified that their shift is cut; yet for the favorable employees they'll have a twenty hour work week.

My advice to upper management especially to the Filipino Managers who works at this location, is to treat your employees with the utmost respect, and to give constructive feedback to employees. Remember constructive feedback is a tool for employees to improve at their field. Lastly give the unfavorable employees at least ten hours a week, so that he/she may have an adequate paycheck to pay for tuition and books for school.

Cinemark Photos

Worked for Cinemark? Contribute to the Community!