Cinemark

Updated January 27, 2015
2.9

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock
Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately (in 147 reviews)

• Benefits of watching free movies and getting free popcorn and drinks while at work (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad (in 22 reviews)

• If nights, weekends and holidays are a deal breaker, you should avoid all movie theatres (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job, for an undergrad student.

Current Employee - Usher/Concessionist in Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - Usher/Concessionist in Bristol, VA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In the past two years I've worked here, I've run into very few problems. Everyone is friendly, and for the most part, enjoy working there. The managers are usually very friendly, and are more than willing to assist you or talk to you, should you need them. Although there are a few customers who will give you trouble, I've only encountered one or two my entire time there that caused any problems. If you like working with people, this is a great job. The free movies are cool, as well as the discounts on concessions. They are very (I mean VERY) flexible with hours, and they haven't ever given me trouble about how spontaneous my schedule can be. They are some of the best people you could work for.

Cons

The problems come with getting hours and promotions. Since so many people like the job, the promotional ladder is mostly stale. I have one coworker who has worked there for almost ten years and is still lower-level, whereas some of the coworkers we both helped train are being considered for management. That said, it does feel like the general manager and the assistant managers tend to be very political (aside from two in particular). If you don't fit into their "image", you may not go too far.

As for hours, the lower level positions are best for students of High school, or College. If you can do nights and weekends, you'll get hours. If you're looking for a weekday 9-5 job, this isn't it.

Stop playing politics. you have great people (I'm not including myself) who know the ins and outs better than some of your managers. Use them. Also, it would be nice if the raise and evaluations were on-time. Aside from that, keep doing what you're doing, because you guys are awesome!

I had an a great time working here.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX

I worked at Cinemark full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free movies, popcorn and drinks (only on break though), half price concession items when on break

Cons

Long hours, stressful at times when it is busy.

Great part time job for high school kids

Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Newark, CA
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Newark, CA

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work was easy to do, nothing that required extensive training. A lot of team worked involved in the concession stands. Would have secret shoppers who would give us prizes if we initiated upselling of items.

Cons

The theaters never close so it is hard to get holidays off. Sometimes were understaffed when it comes to cleaning theaters after the movies came out

Very chaotic when busy. Otherwise a good starter job for any first timers.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are down to earth, schedule is accommodating for anyone in school. Time-off policy depends

Cons

Physically taxing. Be ready to be on your feet throughout your entire shift. A lot of stairs and walking around involved.

Compensation is very below average for management. Higher starting rates and raise incentives are definitely a recommendation.

it a good experience but could use some better manger to make the place run smoother

Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (less than a year)

Pros

we get to use watch movie for free , we get half off food when working and free ticket for friend and family sometimes.

Cons

no good employees to train, not good managers, need to better cleaned , not good location,

retrain the manger to have better way to run concessions , clean more , make sure people don't violate health code with happen all the time , be more strict in enforcing rules, have more safety meeting and employee awareness meeting every week because when your employee are informed the business is runs smoother .

I liked working at cinemark. The employees and managers are all nice and the customers are as well.

Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessions in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Cinemark

Pros

You get free popcorn on your break or when you close concession for the night. 2 free tickets every work week is a plus.

Cons

Sometimes the customers can be rude but just keep a positive attitude and you will be fine. The pay is minimum but you get a raise every year.

The managers should be a little friendly with there employees. Some won't even say a word to you for years as you work there.

Great

I worked at Cinemark

Pros

Was able to work up the ladder in the company. My managers were great at training.

Cons

You work everyday of the year .

None

Lame

Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Cinemark (less than a year)

Pros

Free movies, free popcorn, amazing co-workers.

Cons

Management is a joke. Treat employes poorly, not worth it.

Communication is key

Great people, Free movies, Horrible management, Poor pay

Current Employee - Concessionist in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Concessionist in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people were pretty fun to work with. Free movies is what definitely keeps a lot of people staying. When you're on your break, you get half off everything. Some of the management were also pretty cool. Very easy job. Also, good hours only if you know management well and will definitely get days off if requested on a day that is not expected to be busy.

Cons

Opened 365 days a year. Missed Christmas, Halloween, July 4th, and Thanksgiving cause I had to work. The management picks favorites at times. The GM never wants to say hi, only to those who have worked for a while. The male managers are quite perverted. You'll slowly start to realize that this kind of job isn't worth minimum wage. Hours get cut or are more depending on movies, so hope great movies are coming out.

Be mature and actually learn to manage.

Manager

I worked at Cinemark

Pros

Flexable work environment. Okay pay. Free movies. Room for advancement.

Cons

Always work weekends and holidays. Only pays floor employees minimum wage.

Cinemark Photos