Cinemark Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.1

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock
Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately (in 121 reviews)

• Free popcorn and drinks when you're working (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad (in 19 reviews)

• Unbelievably rude customers (most of what they complain about is completely out of your control) (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Low wage, but fun job

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Provo, UT

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than a year

Pros

good for a college job, but very little opportunity for growth. Free movies.

Cons

Pay was very low. Stress levels relatively high for the pay scale

if you want people to stick around longer then 6 months, you got to offer better pay or opportunities to grow

Concessions

Former Employee - Concessionist  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Concessionist in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Cinemark part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work and a great work environment for a part time gig.

Cons

You smell like popcorn (this could be a Pro). Decent pay and benefits (popcorn) and movie perks.

They Can Do Better

Current Employee - Bartender  in  Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Bartender in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cinemark gave me my very first job as bartender w/ no experience. Good perks too ( free movies).

Cons

Restaurant and bar tend to be very slow unless a big movie is premiering or releasing.

Stop promoting kids w/ no education and/or experience over people that do. Effective and competent people need to help run the restaurant. The bar can be very lucrative and financially beneficial to Cinemark if we had a "Happy Hour". There are a lot of Spirits that we should be carrying that we do not (Ciroc Vodka in all flavors, Fireball Whiskey, Basil Hayden, Tito's Vodka, etc.). For my location, please pay more attention to Studio Eats (The Restaurant/Bar).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company executives have their goals in the right place - taking care of employees & customers

Current Employee - General Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fun environment, free movies, meet lots of new friends, exciting place to be on opening nights, tons of opportunity to advance all around the country & world.

Cons

working weekends & holidays, late nights, dealing with the public and complaints, low starting wage for entry level positions, can get pretty busy during rushes

higher pay structures for lower/middle management would be nice

Great Company

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fair company to work with as a team. Many opportunities for the right people.

Cons

wish they had a theatre in hawaii.

Continue to do things the way you are it makes the job fun.

Overall Cinemark was a good company to work for.

I worked at Cinemark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free movies, popcorn and a fun atmosphere. Before film was digital, building up and breaking down films were a prestigious art within the film industry and those who could do it got mad respect. It was fun during the holidays if you're into crowds and like spending your Friday nights being the center of attention at the user podium.

Cons

As an assistant manger you're the grunt in the management section. At our theater the general manager made the assistants and senior assistants do everything from changing light bulbs to putting up posters. Not much actual management is done at this level, however, it was still by far the most fun job I've ever had.

I don't know keep it up I suppose.

Assistant manager Hourly

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Wooster, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wooster, OH

I worked at Cinemark part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free movies, The job is super chill and stress free.

Cons

Poor management staff who play favorites. They theater i was at let their emotions influence the way they ran the theater. terrible pay. I was wronged by the company.

I had worked for the company for three years and had never been late. After a storm knocked out the power my alarm did not go off. I got a call from floor staff asking where i was at. I immediately rushed to the theater and in a scramble still managed to open the doors in time "15 min before the first showing". It was the movie hop being that it was a kids movie it was insanely busy. Everything went smoothly through the rush and business continued as normal. The next day I had informed my manager about being 30 min late but managed to open on time. She then took me into the office and fired me claiming a customer has complained about the lines and burnt popcorn and then fired me along with black listing me from the company. I find this to be ridiculous that i was let go for being late 30 min the first time in 3 years. Another incident happened with another manager where he was 3 hours late and completely missed the entire first set of movies. so none of the first showings for ten different movies did not play. This manager was reprimanded with a week suspension and a couple years later given his own theater and promoted to gm. This is a big issue I feel like a was wronged and the company plays favorites. This was a job I loved and would have made a career out of but this is just poor company policy. Lucky I haven't sued for mis-conduct.
    Upper management need to be less involved with employee social life and not let their emotions or fav employee run the business for them. People make mistakes they should be understanding of this and not be so quick to ruin someones career based on ridiculous claims.

They won't "Show you the Money"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Cinemark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great started job for high school/college studnets. It's fun and you get free movies.
    Insurance is good; 401K matching is definitely a plus.
    Lots of theatres all over the country.

Cons

If you get to Assistant Manager level or above the pay is NOT UP TO PAR, especially when compared to similar duties/job requirements from other companies and industries. If you' get all the way up to General Manager, the corporate office can be a pain. It's 100 emails all day, every day, telling you 1000 things to do that have litle to do with actually running the building and helping customers. Managers cant do their MAIN job because they are too busy answering emails. Also, you're required to work every weekend and holiday - so the work/life balance is non-existant. You're expected to eat, sleep, and breath the theatre, even when its your day off.

Loosen the purse-strings and pay your people more. If's hard to keep good people when they are paid much less than deserved. Listen to your people; they know the company culture and love and care about the future. Calm down with the emails.

Low pay, incompetent management, favoritism, free movies, fun coworkers.

Current Employee - Concessionist  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Concessionist in Plano, TX

I have been working at Cinemark part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free movies whenever (+1), half off concessions during break, free drinks and popcorn, fun coworkers for the most part, can potentially get a lot of hours.

Cons

9 hour shifts with one 30 minute break, AMs act like a clique and only care for the "favorites", management gossips constantly, rude customers, constant secret shoppers, you have to call your managers by their last name even if they are younger than you, I feel like I'm in school at this job, 12 cent raises, no overtime.

Care more for your employees who are doing all of the work for you. Try applauding the floor staff for their accomplishments as opposed to only telling them what they do wrong.

The Patients Ran The Asylum

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at Cinemark part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free movies, genuinely simple work.

Cons

Management was a disaster, inexperienced and just not hands on.

Hire better managers.

Worked for Cinemark? Contribute to the Community!