Cinemark Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock
Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately (in 142 reviews)

• Free movies, free popcorn and drinks during break (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad (in 22 reviews)

• If nights, weekends and holidays are a deal breaker, you should avoid all movie theatres (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy work, grueling hours.

Current Employee - Usher in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Usher in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are fun and easy to be around for the most part
    Pay isn't the worst in the world aka minimum wage
    Both concessions and usher are easy work as long as it's not a busy day, although it usually is

Cons

Minimum amount of shift hours is 5 which is the 6-11 shift on the weekdays, which as a junior in high school is hard to continue doing while keeping a decent grade in school
    Work all the time during weekends and holidays
    Some of the managers were kind of aggressive and rude

Maybe have an available shift that doesn't make you get home at midnight on the weeks. I'm seriously considering going to a different available job just because of the shift times. I'm ALWAYS tired and I've only worked there a week.

Good for high schoolers, bad for anyone else

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun environment, free movies

Cons

Poor wages, no decent benefits, capped hourly wages regardless of years with company, no real opportunities unless you live in Texas.

Increase management hourly wages, add better benefits.

Ideal first job, Flexible with school schedule

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free movies, Popcorn, easy job, easy advancement, scheduling was really easy and flexible, a lot of my coworkers I've met are great people and will continue talking to after employment.

Cons

Long Hours, pay is low even after promotion, a lot of high school kids that don't care so you have to pick up the slack, people get really upset over popcorn, working all weekends and holidays are a given, if you are in concessions you do not get out until 12:30 am or later if it was busy

Let management know they are appreciated more! Often times the assistants are the ones doing all the ground work.

This place is family.

Current Employee - Concessionist in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Concessionist in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers support you when you fall down and help you pick yourself back up. Family!!

Cons

Pay never goes above 8.25 for crew which is unfair to the good employees.

To the upper upper people who deal with stocks and the business or whatever. You guys need to find someway to pay your employees more. A lot of them come for the experience at working at a movie theater. Then they leave for many reasons, but the main one is the pay. Do something to fix this.

A nice part time job

Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

First off this was a part time job for me so I liked the perk of free movies for something I wasn't devoting a lot of time to.

Cons

Working closing shifts there was an expectation that you cant leave till everything is cleaned (most of the time closing by yourself). And on these solo nights they didnt work well with you with conflicting time schedules. Ie: I was approaching the maximum time to work in a day and mentioned that I was about to go over and if I could clock out. They said not till I'm done cleaning and they've inspected it. I finished cleaning. Clocked out (this was after the max time) and then got written up. I have military experience so I'm all about moving with a purpose and was not a slow worker. Regardless got that write up. Changed my schedule so I didn't work nights anymore because it was essentially a trap.

Make it so employees never close alone.

Great Team, Low Pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities for resume development--because we're typically low on payroll, you frequently get to be a jack of all trades and learn to be creative with scheduling and usage of hours.
    It's certainly a fun & active environment. No two days are ever the same.
    It's nice that promoting from within is encouraged, but it takes awhile to move up because you essentially have to wait for GMs to leave the company while they shift enough people around from theater to theater until a low level theater opens up for you to take over. Lateral moves are easier--Senior Assistant Manager to Auditor or something of the like.

Cons

It's hard to achieve both building success and work-life balance while working for a theater as management because you essentially must always have eyes on it. And the minute you take your eyes from it, that's likely the day an auditor walks through the doors. It's not that success isn't possible, it's that with the strong eye always on payroll hours, building performance suffers. And with pay being extremely low for the relative responsibilities, you either become a workaholic, or you suffer with low scores.

Increase pay. "Managers" should never be making less than $10. That's a "Supervisor" rate. Bring back the supervisor role as intermediary between management and entry-level staff. Improve stepping stones from one level to another so that promotions aren't such leaps.

Not recommended for long term employment

I have been working at Cinemark

Pros

-Very good part time job due to shift ranges

Cons

-Bad upper management at multiple locations

Turf wars between departments

I worked at Cinemark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved getting into free movies. Pay & benefits were good but no bonuses unless you are a director or higher.

Cons

Hard to work with other departments due to turf wars. Little room for advancement since directors & higher never leave or get promoted often. Only way to advance is to move to other departments. No incentives to save money for company.

Corporate doesn't seem to be involved. Every theater seems to be run different.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grapevine, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Grapevine, TX

I worked at Cinemark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The job in its self is pretty easy if you can handle guests who think they're entitled to star treatment. Plus you get free movies and the scheduling is pretty flexible. I enjoyed the work and at the time i worked there everyone was around my age. Floor staff is usually 16-18. Managers are 19-25 usually.

Cons

Pay for managers isn't enough. the difference in pay between my floor staff position and manager position was $.63 difference for a lot more work and responsibility. At least at my theater policies weren't strictly followed and managers were just as bad as employees. Our theater manager slept with employees, managers would throw expired milk gallons off the roof. employees were constantly on cell phone or snacking on the job but that's how things were run. Every now and then when someone from corporate or our regional manager stopped by things briefly got serious. We'd have 16 and 17 year olds either come in at 7 am or stay after their shift till 2 am deep cleaning the theater to make it look presentable. Employees would get fired for a policy that they broke 4 months prior, like buying one scoop of ice cream but getting 2 instead. everything was inconsistent.

Reward your staff that doesn't belong to corporate, the people who are the faces of Cinemark. Keep things consistent.

It Was Okay

I have been working at Cinemark

Pros

Free Movies
    Cheaper food when working.

Cons

Hard/ Dangerous work. Mostly everyone behind the stand had one or two burns to show from cleaning the equipment. Not worth it at that pay.

Cinemark Photos