Cinemark

Updated January 27, 2015
2.9

Cinemark CEO Alan W. Stock
Alan W. Stock

Pros
  • Free movies (it actually say I have to post a twenty word min but unfortunately (in 147 reviews)

• Benefits of watching free movies and getting free popcorn and drinks while at work (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • If you have worked for the company for years and the minimum wage goes up, too bad (in 22 reviews)

• If nights, weekends and holidays are a deal breaker, you should avoid all movie theatres (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

They won't "Show you the Money"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great started job for high school/college studnets. It's fun and you get free movies.
    Insurance is good; 401K matching is definitely a plus.
    Lots of theatres all over the country.

Cons

If you get to Assistant Manager level or above the pay is NOT UP TO PAR, especially when compared to similar duties/job requirements from other companies and industries. If you' get all the way up to General Manager, the corporate office can be a pain. It's 100 emails all day, every day, telling you 1000 things to do that have litle to do with actually running the building and helping customers. Managers cant do their MAIN job because they are too busy answering emails. Also, you're required to work every weekend and holiday - so the work/life balance is non-existant. You're expected to eat, sleep, and breath the theatre, even when its your day off.

Loosen the purse-strings and pay your people more. If's hard to keep good people when they are paid much less than deserved. Listen to your people; they know the company culture and love and care about the future. Calm down with the emails.

It's alright.

I have been working at Cinemark

Pros

The co-workers are fun and the free movies are nice. Popcorn and food is always fresh

Cons

Lots of hours, low pay. Difficult to get time off since they are open every day of the year from early morning to late evenings. No commissions, employees are not allowed to take tips. Everyone starts off in concessions at $7.25. The pay is not really worth the labor and tasks. You cannot get a raise out of turn even if you are the most highly valued employee.

Be more lenient with your employees. Don't be so stingy and greedy.

Not a rewarding experience

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours and freedom to assign availability allows a person to work while still attending school or having a second job.
    The job can be fun and your coworkers, managers, and regular customers become more like your friends.

Cons

Many rude, insulting, and sometimes abusive customers.
    The building is open every single day from early mornings to late nights including all holidays. Getting together with friends and family is often difficult.
    The pay is low and there is no overtime.
    The job is cyclical and you'll do the same thing week after week when new movies come out.

Offer more flexibility in regards to scheduling and hiring

Company executives have their goals in the right place - taking care of employees & customers

Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cinemark full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun environment, free movies, meet lots of new friends, exciting place to be on opening nights, tons of opportunity to advance all around the country & world.

Cons

working weekends & holidays, late nights, dealing with the public and complaints, low starting wage for entry level positions, can get pretty busy during rushes

higher pay structures for lower/middle management would be nice

Lots of Hours, Low Pay, Great Coworkers, Decent Perks.

Former Employee - Concessionist in McAllen, TX
    Former Employee - Concessionist in McAllen, TX

I worked at Cinemark part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Popcorn and Soda/Icee
    Free Movie and for +1

Cons

Low Pay
    Management was not helpful

Let people sort out their own inventory, or don't get mad at them if the person you assigned to do it for them messes up.

Fun place for first job.

Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Usher/Concessesions/Box Office in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work. Get to watch movies for free. Easy work.

Cons

Minimum wage, crappy customers sometimes.

Be a little more professional sometimes.

It's a great high school job, once you're in college, you kind of want to get out of that place.

Current Employee - Box Office Cashier and Projectionist in Rocklin, CA
    Current Employee - Box Office Cashier and Projectionist in Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The perks of working at a movie theater are the free movies. I've saved so much money just seeing these $11 movies for free.

Cons

Sometime there are long hours or early hours, but overall it's not too bad.

It was something

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free movies, free popcorn and drinks during break. employees were always fun to talk to. building the standees were a blast

Cons

Everything else. Customers are some times rude, because of pricing. Mainly customers and higher management were the problem with the place

Assistant manager Hourly

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wooster, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wooster, OH

I worked at Cinemark part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free movies, The job is super chill and stress free.

Cons

Poor management staff who play favorites. They theater i was at let their emotions influence the way they ran the theater. terrible pay. I was wronged by the company.

I had worked for the company for three years and had never been late. After a storm knocked out the power my alarm did not go off. I got a call from floor staff asking where i was at. I immediately rushed to the theater and in a scramble still managed to open the doors in time "15 min before the first showing". It was the movie hop being that it was a kids movie it was insanely busy. Everything went smoothly through the rush and business continued as normal. The next day I had informed my manager about being 30 min late but managed to open on time. She then took me into the office and fired me claiming a customer has complained about the lines and burnt popcorn and then fired me along with black listing me from the company. I find this to be ridiculous that i was let go for being late 30 min the first time in 3 years. Another incident happened with another manager where he was 3 hours late and completely missed the entire first set of movies. so none of the first showings for ten different movies did not play. This manager was reprimanded with a week suspension and a couple years later given his own theater and promoted to gm. This is a big issue I feel like a was wronged and the company plays favorites. This was a job I loved and would have made a career out of but this is just poor company policy. Lucky I haven't sued for mis-conduct.
    Upper management need to be less involved with employee social life and not let their emotions or fav employee run the business for them. People make mistakes they should be understanding of this and not be so quick to ruin someones career based on ridiculous claims.

Low pay, incompetent management, favoritism, free movies, fun coworkers.

Current Employee - Concessionist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Concessionist in Plano, TX

I have been working at Cinemark part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free movies whenever (+1), half off concessions during break, free drinks and popcorn, fun coworkers for the most part, can potentially get a lot of hours.

Cons

9 hour shifts with one 30 minute break, AMs act like a clique and only care for the "favorites", management gossips constantly, rude customers, constant secret shoppers, you have to call your managers by their last name even if they are younger than you, I feel like I'm in school at this job, 12 cent raises, no overtime.

Care more for your employees who are doing all of the work for you. Try applauding the floor staff for their accomplishments as opposed to only telling them what they do wrong.

Cinemark Photos