Cineplex Entertainment

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.2

Ellis Jacob

Pros
  • free movies good anywhere at anytime (on your day off) for you plus one other person (in 53 reviews)

• It's a good place for a starter job with flexible hours and reasonable pay (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • People pleasing hundreds of people a day for minimum wage (in 20 reviews)

• Late nights, sometimes won't get home until 12am and then school the next morning (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

cineplex

I worked at Cineplex Entertainment

Pros

Fun, active, free movie tickets

Cons

Pay, pay, pay, pay, pay

They treat you like crap no matter how long you've been there.

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cineplex Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

I did get experience in a sense of supervisory experience and customer service and most of the staff were really great and made some long time friends

Cons

I worked there for two years and only got one raise when I was promoted to TL after there was a change in GM and the management and overall experience went to crap. I only had 3 month, 6 and 1 year review all of which were really late, and came with no raise. I was a better TL than most and yet got paid barely above minimum wage and a month before I left a reg cast member just randomly got a raise and ended up being only 5 cents less than me despite being there for less time and being lower than me. I found out I was the least paid TL and one of the ones who worked there the longest... overall I felt like they didnt care whether I was there or not and why would they when they constantly hire people so nobody has good hours. Also the schedule was almost always late so it would come out wednesday and the week would start friday so you can never actually make plans.

Stop constantly hiring people, have better managers scheduling, actually do reviews and give raises where deserved. Nobody enjoys working at cineplex unless youre best friends with the managers you really need to get it together and stop being so greedy youre a rich company I think you can afford to give raises and not have head office decide raises since they dont actually know the employees!!!!

Flexible

Former Employee - Part Time Cast Member  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Part Time Cast Member in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Cineplex Entertainment part-time

Pros

They are very flexible, especially if you are a student, and it's pretty easy to book time off.
    Free movies
    Its a good job if you have no experience in customer service.
    You make a lot of friends, and meet lots of new people.
    Lots of shifts. (If you want)

Cons

You have to stay really late, sometimes until 12:30 am.
    Managers don't treat you well, and don't appreciate you. They will also pick favorites.
    You have to do so much and get paid barely anything. For some reason it says "competitive pay" when you're applying, even though the pay is minimum wage.
    They will cut your shift whenever they want.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job for Students

Current Employee - Part Time Cast Member  in  Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Part Time Cast Member in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cineplex Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros

This was my first job. It's a super friendly work environment, everyone I worked with were young too so I got along with everyone really quickly and the managers were approachable. You also get free movies all the time, and also a $250 scholarship per semester if you're doing post-secondary.

Cons

There's not a lot of room for advancement. For cast members, there are hardly any raises, my coworker who has worked there for 6 years part time who's a "team leader" and has more responsibilities only gets paid a quarter above minimum wage.

There should be more raises, especially towards cast members who have worked there for a long time.

Not amazing but not horrid

Current Employee - Part Time Cast Member  in  Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Part Time Cast Member in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Cineplex Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free movies, but you always have to be nice. Even to morons

Cons

Mangers guilt you into not callin I sick when you call. Oncalls suck

Don't guilt people into not calling I sick

Very annoying

Current Employee - Part Time Cast Member  in  Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Part Time Cast Member in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cineplex Entertainment part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best things about working as a cast member at cinceplex is getting a pay check at the end of it all. And yes the people you work with make it better but over all, anyone who has worked at a cineplex movie theater for more than a few months usually hates it but chooses to keep working there due to needing money, myself included.
    Thereès free movies too..if you wanna work and play in the same place.

Cons

The "guests" act less like people you've invited over and more like unwanted rude in-laws that think they own the place.
    The managers have to keep their bosses happy so most of the time you end up understaffed and stressed trying to survive a rush. Most of the time you get an ok amount of shifts but it gets increasingly difficult to pick up more when the bills start piling up.

The management needs to treat its lower level employees better. Working at cineplex feels very impersonal. I personally feel like just another number. A little worker bee ready to be replaced at anytime. and even if this is true, it doesn't make for a very enjoyable work environment which is probably why most cast members hate dealing with customers and customers seem to hate the cast members. but it could just be the over price food we shamelessly sell them

Good place for teenagers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Cineplex Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Co-Workers who are friendly and fun to be around,
    Free Movies,
    Discounts,
    Flexible-ish hours,
    Reasonable Pay,
    If you're a teenager, the majority of employees are young.

Cons

Training was good but the explanation of how things worked was pretty confusing for the first bit. (Mostly for people haven't applied for a job before)
    Can be very busy and fast paced.
    Not so flexible with requests on schedule changes for shifts.

Great job for a student

Current Employee - Cast Member
    Current Employee - Cast Member

I have been working at Cineplex Entertainment part-time for less than a year

Pros

-free movies
    -very cool coworkers
    -flexible hours
    -comfy uniforms
    -lots of different areas to work so you're not doing the same thing every single day

Cons

-Last hours, some nights I won't be out until 12:45
    -really low pay, they only give raises right before minimum wage goes up so all your 25 cent increases become obsolete

Maybe show cast members that you appreciate them, and thank the ones that work hard rather than using only negative reinforcement.

Concession

I worked at Cineplex Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

-A good first job for people with absolutely no experience.
    -Free movies
    - Friendly Staff

Cons

- Working past your schedule hours
    - High turnovers

Nice starter job other than that nothing much.

Former Employee - Part Time Cast Member  in  Sudbury, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Part Time Cast Member in Sudbury, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cineplex Entertainment part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits including free movies with a friend ad 10 percent off of food items when working.

Nice coworkers and supervisors

Cons

Management will yell at workers in the areas where guest are
    Everything is timed including washrooms!
    Management dosen't care about you. I got my 5$ birthday gift card from them in April, but my birthday was in January
    Made me work through holidays

Try to actually care about cast members because they feel unappreciate.

Worked for Cineplex Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!