Cineplex Galaxy Reviews

1. Living Hell

Current Employee - Manager in Regina, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Regina, VA

I have been working at Cineplex Galaxy

Pros

Free movies and evening shifts.

Cons

Everything else. The staff, the management, head office, the guests.

Advice to Management

Quit.

2. Assistant Theatre Manager

Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Theatre Manager
    Former Employee - Part Time Assistant Theatre Manager

I worked at Cineplex Galaxy part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced fun job.
    Cast members become like a family
    Free Movies

Cons

Full of "office politics"
    Managers are corrupt and will lie right to your face
    No raises unless you get promoted - in 6 years I had 2 raises when I went from cast member to trainer, and trainer to assistant manager.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff/part time managers
    Don't treat your staff like crap

3. So tired.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cineplex Galaxy

Pros

Adequate training. Most team leaders and managers were approachable whenever we needed help or had any questions. The scheduling system was straightforward, and it was really easy to change my availability. Free movies (obviously). Most of the cast members are really chill and hilarious!

Cons

Late hours (I knew it was coming, but I didn't expect it to have a huge impact on my sleeping pattern). Working Tuesday nights were a pain especially because it was during the school week. One time I was put in a position where I had to stay past 1:00am on a school night. And sometimes they deny our request for days off. Sometimes they have a legit reason, but others times... not so much.

5. cineplex box office

I worked at Cineplex Galaxy

Pros

given a lot of hours if you have request. working at the box office could be stressful during some high peak seasons, but overall you do gain more respect than people who are working at floor and concessions.

Cons

ummmmm, it really depends on what sort of team player that you get, i mean the box office is a really constricted place, therefore, the type of working and interacting atmosphere which you and your colleagues are delivering to each is essentially important.
    the pay is minimum, however, you do get free food and movie tickets.
    i mean the bottom line is if you are the type of person like myself who enjoys movie then you are absolutely gonna love this movie, the free pass to the monthly features as well as imax and 3d to top it all off is pretty awesome. i guess that sort of compensate the minimal wages.

Advice to Management

i really do think they should hire a professional accountant to do the cash flow and all that instead letting every each staff member be responsible to check out their cash flow at the end of day, not only it agitates everyone but also it's long and tedious.

6. Good

I worked at Cineplex Galaxy

Pros

Good place to work all day

Cons

No time to sleep at all

Advice to Management

Give bonuses

7. Cineplex: Part-Time Work for High Schoolers.

Current Employee - Cast Member in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cast Member in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Cineplex Galaxy

Pros

Although benefits have diminished since the switch from Silvercity to Cineplex ownership, you do still get a free movie pass for working 2 shifts per week. There is a manager who is a joy to work with. This manager really talks to you on your level, not down at you.

Cons

Silvercity Ancaster seems to hire way too many workers. There are lots of cast members who want more hours, but management always seem to hire new people, making it very hard to get the desired hours. I know that companies like hiring more part time workers so that they don't have to pay for benefits for full-time workers, but the least they could do is provide more hours for the workers they already have, rather than hiring more workers to fill those hours.

Workers call in sick often with no consequences. Most of these calls are from people who are faking sickness to get out of work. This makes it frustrating or those of us who think it a moral issue to call in sick when you aren't sick. There should be consequences for repeated absence.

Call shifts are designed so that when someone calls in sick, we cover their position for the shift. We have a call shift with a specific position (Burger King, for example), so that when someone who is scheduled can't make it in for this position, we fill their spot. There seems to be a pattern where someone calls in sick for Bar, they move someone already scheduled from Burger King to Bar, leaving an open spot at Burger King. Then, they call in the Burger King call shift person. When you are on call or a specific position, you are only supposed to be called in for that position. Because they move people around, you shouldn't have to be called in for the now open spot at bar. You should be given a choice as to whether you want to come in, or not.

Advice to Management

Read the paragraph under "What are some of the downsides of working at Cineplex Galaxy?"

8. It's all downhill from here.

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Cineplex Galaxy

Pros

Free movies, flexibility in shifts

Cons

Lack of senior management; inconsistent work policies due to the merge of Cineplex and Famous Players

Advice to Management

To be on the same page as the company and all other theatres. Older theatres are run like 'moms and pops' stores and act as though corporate policies do not apply.

RSS Feed </> Embed