Cintas

Updated December 19, 2014
3.3

Cintas CEO Scott D. Farmer
Scott D. Farmer

Pros
  • As everyone else says 4 day work week is great loved the 3 day weekends (in 44 reviews)

• decent pay with opportunity for advancement (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • High expectations, weekend paperwork required, not a lot of work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Mgrs are expected to work very long hours with very little overhead support (in 46 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cintas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, awesome partners, vested heavily in training, good benefits,caring management

Cons

TOO MUCH TRAINING - cant don your job!

Good Place To Work

Current Employee - Facility Services Sales Representative in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Facility Services Sales Representative in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Cintas full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Motivated staff, great benefits, room to move up

Cons

Not a lot of direction from upper management, kind of on your own!

Better support systems for sales reps

HR is horrible, horrible, horrible. Service managers have no clue

Former Employee - SSR in Bedford, VA
    Former Employee - SSR in Bedford, VA

I worked at Cintas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

3 day weekends, having weekends off are nice. But you dread going back

Cons

HR and management do nothing but look for trouble and to get people in trouble. They don't care that you have a family, only care if they see theirs.

DO YOUR JOB! Leave the drivers alone. If they are doing their job and the customers are happy then just leave them alone! Stop looking for trouble.

Not exactly what I thought it would be, look elsewhere - I would have if I could do it over

I have been working at Cintas

Pros

-Pay is competitive
    -People you work with are really great
    -Senior leadership seems solid
    -The services and products Cintas provides its customers is really very good
    -The ride alongs I have done were with people very good at their job

Cons

-Middle management is terrible, only a few good ones here
    -IT maturity is laughable at best
    -Poorly handled system implementations
    -Budget is comical on how it is allocated
    -Turnover is crazy in IT (14-15%)
    -For people under my career level, upward trajectory is near impossible
    -Duration of employment and amount of hours is more valued than good experience, education, outside views and efficiency
    -People allocation is sub par, meaning people come in and never come out (no work to do, under used, poor fit)
    -IT management is filled with people not qualified in their area making micromanagement decisions and managing teams and hiring of sub par people
    -Not able to hang onto younger talent, losing them to other companies
    -Poor job match
    -Way too silo'd business units and support
    -Culture of the company, dress code, values pushed down by senior leadership is not really bought into by other employees

Take a good hard look at how IT is run. You might see some areas of opportunity. By some I mean all

Charlotte location is terrible

I worked at Cintas full-time

Pros

You learn what not to do.

Cons

You work with horrible management staff, cut in pay without explanation and managers raise sales goals and cut your pay.

Find another job and stop making those that work for you depressed.

Greatest job in hell

Current Employee - Production Supervisor
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor

I have been working at Cintas full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good company values. Good benefits.

Cons

NO work life balance. Management is expected to work 60 plus hours a week. Some partners treated better then others. low pay for high expectations. Unrealistic explications.

Watch what your General Managers are actually doing. If you have high turn over there is probably something wrong! Be able to fill potions faster. 2-6 month hiring time is to long!

Strong compensation plans-many many hats

Current Employee - Territory Account Representative in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Territory Account Representative in Mason, OH

I have been working at Cintas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with Cintas for 4 years now and the company has been very good to me. They pay very well and the friendy atmosphere is second to none. They offer paid time off, 401K, dental, vision and health insurance. They are all about their "partners" and making sure they are healthy and happy. They go above and beyond to offer benefits to their employees to improve their overall health and wellness, including free annual blood and health screenings. They also offer partner perks such as discounts at hundreds of retailers, vehicle discount programs, travel discounts and more. Definitely a great company to work for.

Cons

They expect employees to wear many many hats daily. The workload is almost always overwhelming and daunting. The unspoken expectation is that you'll be married to your job and live and breathe Cintas. In most cases the company promotes from within and strong managers help you 'climb the ladder' to success and career progression. However, there are still managers that would rather hold you back for their own personal benefit. Technology is so far behind. This makes simple daily tasks ten times harder than they should be, which in turn causes them to lack in efficiency.

As great as the focus on employee health and wellness is, it would be much more beneficial to have the proper, up-to-date tools to get the job done and help alleviate some of the daily stresses that lead to the health issues. Focus on process efficiency more-for every department. Creating more efficient processes leads to more revenues, happier employees and happier customers. Make sure ALL of your managers are focused on helping employees progress rather than holding them back because it's too difficult a process to replace them. Lastly, some of the most important departments are understaffed, identify those departments and provide sufficient staffing. We all rely heavily on our fellow partners and it takes an army to get things done, so help us by providing a sufficient army for the job.

Was once a great job

Current Employee - Service Sales Representative in Ashland, KY
    Current Employee - Service Sales Representative in Ashland, KY

I have been working at Cintas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You only work four days a week if you are a route driver and that is where you make the most money. They have an excellent 401k program and the benefits are great but costly. Fellow employees are great to work with and some of upper management.

Cons

You have to fight and prove to them every dime that you earn. Their new pay plan has no incentive for you to grow and build your route...ie; the more weekly volume you run the less the percentage you make. The only way that you can move up into a management position is if you take a significant pay cut and have a college degree.

Restructure your pay plan. Pay a higher percentage for building your route. Once the route gets big enough then you can split it and create a new one.....therefore growing the company. Set a training program where current employees that can't afford a college education can learn upper management skills

Awesome job for physical fitness; you WILL leave that job in better shape you started.

Current Employee - SSR in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - SSR in Everett, WA

I have been working at Cintas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A. 4 Day Work is amazing, especially if you lucky enough to get a Friday or Monday, usually goes to veterans/route setup. This allows for an awesome work-life balance (if your in shape, if not... your going to hate life for awhile).
    B. Training is something like 3 months, it may be different now. They have VERY VERY strict training guidelines, if you fail to progress or you struggle on the final interview (for a route, yep.. you don't have "job" yet). If you do bad, they'll re-train you and put you in the stand-by driver position (forgot the term), (basically your a floater and have no route to call your own).
    C. Awesome soft skills (conflict-management, customer service, etc)

Cons

A. Good luck in advancement. Not saying it's impossible, but the beating your body is going to take for you to actually move up in a management position is going to take it's toll tie that in with the current management staying in the position FOREVER, leaves you no room to advance in the short term.
    B. Training (once you make it) is joke, but your made to go on the weekends anyways (just deal with it).
    C. Now the single most issue and extremely important you pay attention: PAY SUCKS Your paid off of 17 different variables + base pay. Your base pay will cover gas and food for the week; but depends on your route volume, your only paid 2% on it up to 10k then it falls below that... you'll find out just how crappy the pay is if you accept lol
    D. Promotions. OMG the F'ing promotions they push on you to push sales (which they will try to convince you THAT'S where you'll make your money, and they are right.... if your a crook).

My supervisor was awesome, he is the only reason why I stayed there for two years before moving on to the VA, but I have witnessed a lot:
    A. Stand up for your district in regards to your SSR's or find a better way to "threaten" SSR's about losing their route.
    B. Quit setting up rookie SSR's for failure, I took over the absolute worst Seattle rte the company had due to the last driver. I won't get into the 13 hour days and constant riding I got.
    C. The ability to be profitable company says a lot, but the turn-over rate for your drivers are HORRIBLE; figure out a way to resolve this, because the Cintas is a awesome career choice for some, but ppl like me who can appreciate a balance between profits and partner relations can't continue to work for you.

Very lean company viewed from a maintenance supervisor

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor

I worked at Cintas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

True team management experience, Fun/fast paced, good people, health insurance is great, team atmosphere

Cons

Salaried personal are expected to do jobs that hourly people should be doing. All salaried people are expected to work 60 hours a week. Salaried supervisors are expected to cover their hourly guys vacations 100%.As maintenance sup, with 6 guys covering shifts starting at 330am and ending at 11pm, and each guy having 4 weeks of vacation, thats 24 weeks a year that you are pulling double duty. It gets old very quickly. Management is hit or miss. My GM took 6 months to learn my name. He has under 20 salaried personal. My Plant manager was awesome but you can't complain to someone about working 60 hours a week when they are there before you and leave after you. There isn't any work life balance, it is simply Cintas all the time.

Get outside talent. The peter principle is rampant here. If someone did good in one position, it doesn't mean that they will be good in a position that they are not qualified for. Take a hard look at safety and reliability. They intertwine so much and have the same knowledge base. Someone who is in charge of safety should have been the guy using LOTO and Live work permits at one time, so he fully understands the true hazards, not what the book says. Decide if you really want to pursue reliability the way its preached. Adding 60 hours of PM's a week to a schedule with out adding personal to do it and expecting the maintenance sup to "manage the workload better" while he is constantly covering for another sups vacation, one of his guys vacation, or running an extra shift because we are washing someone else's product isn't the right answer. Contract outside help that can help you reform what you expect and desire in a maintenance team.