Cipher Systems

www.cipher-sys.com
  www.cipher-sys.com

Cipher Systems Reviews

Peter McKenney

Excellent place to work. If you're a developer, you will grow here.

Current Employee - Developer  in  Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Developer in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Cipher Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management treats employees with respect, and never feels like an adversary. Additionally, they actively encourage employees to grow professionally either through technical training or in an academic setting, often making allowances of the sort that few companies would consider.

I've been in the IT business for nearly 20 years, but have gained far more from my time at this company than in all previous combined. It hasn't always been easy and indeed at times has been stressful, but I've had the opportunity to build things I wouldn't have thought twice about a few years ago, as well as further my own education, all with the open support of management. Can't beat that.

Cons

No company is without its faults, but Cipher's are few. Increased top down communication with respect to company direction and employee roles would be welcome.

Spend a bit more time communicating with employees.

Do not work at Cipher Systems. Beyond repair.

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer  in  Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Cipher Systems

Pros

Business casual dress code. Freedom to learn new technologies. Some leaders will let you make the final decision on an approach. Some team members are awesome.

Cons

This place is beyond repair.

There are so many things wrong with this place it is difficult to determine where to begin. The churn rate is high because they don't have their act together. Dr. Phil asks, "You know what all of your failed relationships have in common? You." If they continue to hire quality candidates and those people get fired or quit or both, is it more likely that have the worst luck in the world or that they run a terrible company?

Poor communication.
    Unreasonable expectations.
    Poor management.
    Some (not all) of the developers were snotty about what you do and don't know.
    They had graduates from UMBC (computer science) start in QA to justify a low starting salary.
    No in-lieu-of time ( no work life balance ).
     Box fans ( WallyWorld style) in the "server room".

I could go on for pages.

I would never ever recommend anyone to work here.

Take the advice of your team the first time. Instead of dismissing ideas and months and years later deciding that those ideas have merit. Give those ideas the proper credit and consideration they deserve. Hire a person to execute those ideas. Basically, get your act together. Fire yourself and let someone who knows how to run a software company take charge.

Worked for Cipher Systems? Contribute to the Community!