Circle K Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.9

Robert Lavinia

Pros
  • You get weekly pay and time and a half on most holidays (in 9 reviews)

• fast paced environment, hours pass by fast (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management policy and store level reality are two separate worlds (in 12 reviews)

• They want their employees to be like QuikTrip's employees while only paying them minimum wage (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent, as a filler/ student job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Circle K part-time for more than a year

Pros

Really accommodating to student schedules

easy work

consistent pay raises, weekly pay

I wasn't drug tested, not that it mattered. But that might have been a fluke.

Cons

my manager in particular kept pushing for more hours, which I couldn't work because of school after being there for a while, but I think this is an isolated incident.

the manager wasnt very good, left early without clocking out, shirked duties etc

It wasnt easy to be promoted because of the seniority of other employees and how little they had moved up themselves

Be consistent with your expectations and dont allow your managers to get off the hook all the time, constant manager infractions with no penalties

great place to work but horrible management

I worked at Circle K full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible schedule, wasn't labor intensive,

Cons

horrible regional managers that had no idea how to help with day to day duties. upper management all hired from outside and it was very hard to move up.

promote more from within. listen to your cashiers and assistant store managers.

Everyday at Circle K is a joy in it's own!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Circle K part-time for more than a year

Pros

Being an employee, you meet so many different and wonderful people. I have so much fun. Some days are more interesting than others. You will indeed come across a few characters that will definitely give you a good laugh and memory that you will probably always have. I really enjoy my time there!

Cons

It's hard when you have a situation with a customer and can't solve it. It sucks when the customers get mad or have an attitude with you about whatever their dilemma maybe while being checked out. No matter how sweet, polite, and helpful you are, some people just don't care. No matter what though, you keep a smile and invite them to come again!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was not treated fairly after 18 years of employment. I had cancer and was written up 4 times this year.

Former Employee - Circle K Store Manager  in  Hamilton, OH
    Former Employee - Circle K Store Manager in Hamilton, OH

I worked at Circle K full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really liked working with the public and my employees.I increased sales by 50 percent. I was in one store 15 years.

Cons

You did not have enough hours to run your store for good customer service.I ran register 3 hours a day by myself.

They need to give the manager more hours for better customer service.

I enjoyed the job very much but they do not treat their employees well at all.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Plant City, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plant City, FL

I worked at Circle K full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked the job and the interactions with the customers- I met a lot of people working there. There wasn't any job duty that I minded doing. I liked the fast paced environment .

Cons

The worst thing about working for circle K is that the management does not treat the employees well at all. The cashiers make very little money and have very little room for financial advancement. There are no off clock breaks for meals and cashiers are often left alone for hours. I have seen people work 12-16 hours straight with no breaks.

CSR team members are a vital part of the store's success. The pay rate is impossible to live on and the annual raises are substandard, which is one reason there is such a high turn over rate. Providing off clock meal breaks are much needed also.

Underpaid for allot of work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Circle K part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great co-workers and manager.
    -Flexible with shift requests and days off.
    -Once you get the hang of things, and during non-rush hours, environment is relaxed.
    -The job consists of socialization.
    -Being a CSR looks great on a resume, it can be a great starting place for the retail and other like industries.
    -Once you become Manager and higher, benefits and pay is excellent.
    -If you can make it as a CSR at a gas station-there is no customer service job you can't handle!
    -Job is pretty secure and steady with consistent hours.

Cons

-Pay. Our area had a rep for not giving raises. (see the conclusion below)
    -Our stores was mandatory 8 hour shifts, leaving early was really frowned upon.
    -Customers, being a gas station you get all walks of life--friendly, dumb, eye candy, foreign, rude, and just bizarre.
    -Advancement was moderately difficult, you need to make it clear to your boss on your desires to advance. CSR is mostly of people who just want a steady job and no real interest in advancing.
    I would not recommend this if you're looking for a good starting pay, don't like standing for long periods, or overly-sensitive. Many people I know who have worked there as well conclude with "you get tired of it fast."

Give raises! this job requires allot of tolerance, memorization on how to do things, all while sometimes works in a very fast manner, reward your employees for doing a great-long standing job. This will also encourage better customer service. And yes, people will drive an extra mile to avoid an overall crummy, poor service store.

Outstanding

I have been working at Circle K

Pros

Room for advancement great benefits

Cons

Sometimes you have to work alone

Poor work life balance

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Circle K full-time

Pros

- Can be decent money if you get to run multiple locations at one time
    - I had a great market manager for a majority of my tenure but also worked with some poor market managers as well. Your market manager can change your whole experience.

Cons

- 6 day work week unless you work under the right market manager. Clearly upper management does not value their employees personal time
    - Very small labor budget in comparison to industry competitors
    - Regional management just issues an across the board annual raise around 2-2.5 percent to all managers. So you can bust your butt and get the same raise as a lazy manager
    - You are expected to make nightly phone calls to remind employees to check ID's for the sale of tobacco and alcohol. 24/7 business so expect calls on your day off and at night. Want to go to a movie, or have a few drinks? Tough luck.. You're always on call for a job

Consider a complete culture overhaul

Great opportunity for the right person

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Circle K full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great hours and flexible scheduling.
    - Good benefits and cafeteria plan.
    - Promote from within and potential to advance quickly.

Cons

- Does not promote work life balance.
    - Duties and some other store/company objectives unrealistic in comparison to the staff required to carry them out.
    - Very low staff retention rate.
    - Very high turnover rate.

Underpaid Overworked

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Circle K full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Tuition reimbursement, health insurance, paid vacation.

Cons

Cashiers are required to work shifts alone with no breaks. High turnover, its hard to ever get to know who your working with. As a manager you end up working double and triple shifts if someone walks out. So be prepared not to have a personal life.

Work a week in a cashiers place with their pay and see why you have a high turn over. There are some great cashiers and assistant managers that work for Circle K as a company you need to show some appreciation.

Worked for Circle K? Contribute to the Community!