Circles

Updated November 6, 2014
1.8

Wouter Broekema
1 Rating

Pros
  • great health benefits and they cover a good portion of the cost (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits plus other words because I have to type twenty words (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you are in the upper management social circle, you will never be considered (in 12 reviews)

• They call it "experiental marketing" but it is actually a concierge call center (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

great out of college experiance

I worked at Circles full-time

Pros

the benifits, work life balance and open doors policy when it was small was great

Cons

small company with a big minded agenda that did not succeed

Should never have been sold to a Big name company.

Worked there in the early days (circa 2002). Most corrupt and unprofessional place I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Title speaks for itself. Good location for ice cream and bagels, nothing more to say. Got to speak with The Rock.

Cons

Looks like nothing has changed. I simply can't believe this place is still in business. Such a shame. Change the name and rebrand.

You are a warm body in the seat

Former Employee - Senior Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot from my peers

Cons

Leadership needs to be changed

Six months of my life I wish I could have back!

Former Employee - Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are above average. That's it.

Cons

For a company that, during training, they spend a lot of time educating you on their mission statement, culture and values, you would think they'd stand by what they preach. Unfortunately, Circles is literally the opposite of everything you learn about the company during training. It's a political, toxic and corrupt environment; the attrition rate speaks for itself. Good and loyal employees are not rewarded for their success or hard work yet those who are sleeping with or sending inappropriate pictures to their subordinates get promoted and patted on the back. The schedules are terrible and can change on a whim depending on meeting your goals with no mercy from management and upper management if it uproots your life (i.e. having a morning schedule then getting switched to a shift ending at 1am). They're more interested in making the SURFACE of the company look inviting, fun and legitimate when they should be putting their energy into their employees; they're the ones talking to the card members and are the voice of the company.

The way you treat your employees is deplorable and dishonest. It's only a matter of time before card members realize the only major resources you use to secure their "exclusive" tickets or dining reservations are all websites they could frequent themselves (i.e. ticketmaster and opentable). When the day comes that circles goes under, and it will, and each of you lose your job, it's my sincere hope that you have the distinct pleasure of working under a manager as all around terrible in every way.

concierge

I have been working at Circles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company gives you a more than lengthy training but that is it.

Cons

everything else sucks. The management is horrendous.... HR sucks

Great Benefits/ Stressful job

I worked at Circles full-time

Pros

They offer an excellent benefit package.
    Hourly salary was average
    Fellow employees are great to work with
    Management & Supervisors were easy to work with at most times

Cons

Very stressful call center atmosphere. Although they don't consider it to be a call center. Unreasonable goals set for front line staff.

Listen to front line staff. Provide better avenues for personal growth and development. Go back to the founding culture and values

Not For Everyone

I have been working at Circles

Pros

Will learn about luxury brands, travel, and be in-the-know of pre-sale tickets, broadways shows, etc.

Cons

Intense very fast paced training program. Company only allows so many minutes to finish a phone call before Mission Control calls your line to see what you are doing.

In trouble for using the bathroom?

Former Employee - CCP in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - CCP in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Circles full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits plus other words because I have to type twenty words. Everyone once in a while you get a grateful caller.

Cons

Well the management is horrible. Higher ups fraternizing with people under them. Getting in trouble for using the bathroom. Training is horrible. High stress, soul sucking work. People on your back to take more calls that have no clue what your work load is and when you tell them they don't care. Have you seen office space? Some times 3 people will talk to you about one thing that went wrong. If you work here or are thinking about it just don't not worth your mental health.

EVIL

Current Employee - Customer Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Professional in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Circles full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everything is presented to new hires with smiles and benefits and a decent salary. But it's just the cover of the book. Once you open it, you will want to quit almost every single day.

Cons

The worst job I've ever had. You are criticized at least once a day in writing, 2 to 3 times a day in person and sometimes WHILE you're on the phone. The training is a joke as it does not prepare you for the job and the people who train you have not done your job in 4 or more years themselves. You have to be able to do 12 things at once and follow up each call with a ridiculous amount of paperwork in such a short amount of time that there is an entire department dedicated to calling you regularly during your shift to say you've taken too long, get back on the phones. I have had to finish my end of day work after my shift is over and so far have never seen an extra penny for it. The credit card company you work for grades and judges you, 3 or 4 managers grade and judge you daily and the customers grade you in a survey they receive after the call. They SAY that you will have plenty of help with whatever you haven;t learned after training and you don't. some days there is nobody nearby to help you and you have to keep filling time talking to customers while you figure it out. THE worst part is that they require you to provide each customer with your point of view or you recieve a poor grade they also require that you "probe" and ask alot of questions of the customer. I'm waiting for the day when a customer says "none of your damn business just get me my tickets or dinner reservations". I can already hear it in their answers. It's a sales job disguised as customer service.And lastly the scheduling sucks. You do get two days off per week but not in a row! I asked one of the cooler guys who has been working there for awhile how he gets through every horrible day and he said "I check my soul at the door".

Hire trainers who know the job and don't wait until the new hires are actually doing the job to tell them the long list of impossible requirements they have to meet lest they be fired. Be honest about the stress of the job and stop with all this "it gets better" crap. It doesn't! A previous writer was right about the cliquey behavior between management and HR. I experienced it first hand. HR does nothing except what they are minimally required to.The hardest working people are the most poorly treated.

Great idea, extremely poor reality.

I have been working at Circles full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, especially the paid sabbatical every 5 years, and the people in service delivery are great to work with.

Cons

No growth opportunity at all; very little opportunity to move into other positions if your job is taking calls. There is no "open and honest communication". Pressure to meet metrics and goals has resulted in many people quitting.

Management needs to realize that, although we have people calling us, this is far from a typical call center, and restructure metrics and time management expectations. You're running your employees into the ground and driving away your best people. Also, don't bully the team leaders in review meetings.