Circuit City

Circuit City Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Circuit City Chairman and CEO Richard Leeds

Richard Leeds

Pros:
  • "Nice work environment,and Beautiful store,at least where i worked at"
    in 17 reviews
  • "A great place to work, with strong ethics and integrity"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Poor upper management drove the company into liquidation"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Senior management disconnected from the realities in the field"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best Company I have ever worked for!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Circuit City

Prosgreat atmosphere. Family friendly. They valued their employees. Flexible schedule when I was in college. Great pay when it was commission based and the transfer to hourly, I was lucky and got a great rate.

ConsThe core values slipped at the end. The declining and changes were rough but the company had to make them to keep a float before going out of
Business. Overall the changes in workforce Hirt the company because they tried to be like their competition instead of staying different their competitors. Going away from commission and laying of experienced staff members Hirt them. Also when they stopped selling appliances.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't buy into divix, do not stop selling a product category that would make customers walk into competitors store within miles of your location and get the full package.

Great Company

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA

I worked at Circuit City full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat People, company invested into the managers. The company paid for the PM's to receive their PMI certification. Fun environment at Corporate Office.

ConsOutsourcing was not the key - too many proprietary processes that required internal staff. Once the staff was laid off, the company started to go into a different direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementWish the doors could have stayed open.

It's to bad the company is gone

Store Director (Former Employee)
Spokane, WA

I worked at Circuit City full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA great place to work, with strong ethics and integrity. Circuit City was a clear and positive counter to Best Buy

ConsCEO was a former best buy employee who tanked this Fortune 500 company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's to late

Painful, stressful, and unproductive

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Tustin, CA

I worked at Circuit City full-time for less than a year

ProsNot many. If I could give it zero stars I would. It was easy to get hired, nice summer gap-filler job If you're just out of college and desperate for cash, and the degree you worked so hard for fails to land you the oft-promised six-figure career you'd been raised to believe could be yours as long as you worked hard. But you'd be better off working for McDonald's... at least there, people get promoted.

ConsDeceptive management, had to meet sales quotas even though CEO ended commissions, pay was no more than minimum wage, if you worked there nonstop for 2 years they MIGHT consider bumping your pay 50 cents above minimum wage. Zero prospects of advancement, the same midlevel people kept getting juggled around between stores. Staff were very clique-ish and tended to make you feel unwelcome. Floor managers were rude and pushy, training was almost nil, store register computers were outdated DOS machines and difficult to use, all training on them was by word of mouth since the manuals were long disappeared. Operations manager was very deceptive, claimed you could work whatever hours you wanted, company was "flexible", then because of one medical emergency, laid me off because I didn't "put in enough hours" even though I notified her right away that I was ill.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. The company sucked and was practically in bankruptcy when they hired me so they were already a lost cause. Wherever the upper management people are working now, my only advice to them would be to treat your people right, pay them fairly for selling your products, don't force them to aggressively upsell unnecessary "PC tune-up" services to every single customer with ZERO incentive, stop berating and lying to them, and stop trying to grind blood out of a turnip. I heard from family friends that Circuit City was once a very good company to work at, that was before internet-based businesses outcompeted them, still their cure was worse than the disease. Underpaying, undertraining, and overworking their employees, harassing them for sitting down for even a couple of minutes... not surprisingly they got sued and their business was already failing and this forced them to file Chapter 11.

Grating retail job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Circuit City

ProsThe people I worked with were fun and friendly. The job wasn't so bad during slow hours. During the bankruptcy sale, we could stand up for ourselves against irate and irrational customers, so that was a plus.

ConsBad sales manager that had unrealistic expectations. We were forced to push the Circuit City credit card on people, which I never felt right about doing. The customers were horrendous- especially turing the bankruptcy sale. Also, the company has gone under. That's a pretty big con.

Fun Warehouse Experience

Warehouse (Former Employee)
Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Circuit City full-time for more than a year

ProsPositive work environment, friendly associates all around (from managers, floor associates, to fellow warehouse workers). The guys in the warehouse all worked together (when there were more than one employee on shift).

ConsWhile working in the warehouse, the amount of dust that had collected over the course of 10+ years was quite disturbing. Also, having only 1-2 employees to unload a truck with over 2000+ pieces of merchandise was not fun!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the cleanliness of the store!

sales specialist in electronics and home use

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
Hicksville, NY

I worked at Circuit City full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSales experience in electronics and others

Consnothing to say about con

Advice to Senior Managementpunctuality and honesty and hardworking

Regional Manager

Regional Manager (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Circuit City full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis company took good care of its employees from top to bottom. The training was excellent and the team support was always there...

ConsNothing that comes to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementWonderful job!

Eh

Technical Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Circuit City full-time for more than a year

Pros-Laid back, friendly fellow employees.
-Relatively well-stocked and organized.
-Very helpful supervisors, overworked and overpaid but they went the extra mile to assist me.
-Clean location.
-Uniforms were semi-comfortable.
-Nice break room.

Cons-Complete lack of training.
-Managers were incompetent and greedy, unlike the underpaid supervisors.
-No ladder to climb.
-Terribly outdated registers.
-Awful up-selling tactics.
-The company went bankrupt and I lost my crappy job.

Learned a lot that helped me

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Circuit City part-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat break rooms, Satellite TV,

Consexecutives ran company into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementSHould of got rid of Phill a long time ago.

Worked for Circuit City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Circuit City reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Circuit City CEO Richard Leeds. All 301 reviews posted anonymously by Circuit City employees.