Circuit City

Updated August 29, 2014
3.7

Circuit City Chairman and CEO Richard Leeds
Richard Leeds

Pros
  • A great place to work, with strong ethics and integrity (in 17 reviews)

• Fun work environment, management wasn't overbearing (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor upper management drove the company into liquidation (in 20 reviews)

• Senior management disconnected from the realities in the field (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Sucked really really really badly

I worked at Circuit City

Pros

Nothing was hood about anything with this job. Hence whey it went under. I hope it never comes back

Cons

Everything was terrible about this place, the management was awful, the job was awful, the pay was awful

Stop working there

Poor strategy from senior leadership ran this company into the ground, but not before they lined their pockets

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Circuit City full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved the technology and the people I worked with.

Cons

Poor pay for what I was producing for the company, worst of the worst retail hours, store and sales systems were never invested in, just a completely failed company.

Senior leadership was too busy worrying about their stay bonuses and trying to find a buyer than helping to save the company.

horrible experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Milford, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Milford, CT

I have been working at Circuit City full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

paycheck, get to move around, customers

Cons

management, building, teams, job itself

care for employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Painful, stressful, and unproductive

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tustin, CA

I worked at Circuit City full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not many. If I could give it zero stars I would. It was easy to get hired, nice summer gap-filler job If you're just out of college and desperate for cash, and the degree you worked so hard for fails to land you the oft-promised six-figure career you'd been raised to believe could be yours as long as you worked hard. But you'd be better off working for McDonald's... at least there, people get promoted.

Cons

Deceptive management, had to meet sales quotas even though CEO ended commissions, pay was no more than minimum wage, if you worked there nonstop for 2 years they MIGHT consider bumping your pay 50 cents above minimum wage. Zero prospects of advancement, the same midlevel people kept getting juggled around between stores. Staff were very clique-ish and tended to make you feel unwelcome. Floor managers were rude and pushy, training was almost nil, store register computers were outdated DOS machines and difficult to use, all training on them was by word of mouth since the manuals were long disappeared. Operations manager was very deceptive, claimed you could work whatever hours you wanted, company was "flexible", then because of one medical emergency, laid me off because I didn't "put in enough hours" even though I notified her right away that I was ill.

None. The company sucked and was practically in bankruptcy when they hired me so they were already a lost cause. Wherever the upper management people are working now, my only advice to them would be to treat your people right, pay them fairly for selling your products, don't force them to aggressively upsell unnecessary "PC tune-up" services to every single customer with ZERO incentive, stop berating and lying to them, and stop trying to grind blood out of a turnip. I heard from family friends that Circuit City was once a very good company to work at, that was before internet-based businesses outcompeted them, still their cure was worse than the disease. Underpaying, undertraining, and overworking their employees, harassing them for sitting down for even a couple of minutes... not surprisingly they got sued and their business was already failing and this forced them to file Chapter 11.

Horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Circuit City part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good employee discounts, good exposure to new technology

Cons

Horrible managers, Horrible hours, complicated customer service programs that where not user friendly.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Circuit City part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people and employees where great

Cons

Management didn't listen. The deals weren't all that.

was good until it closed

I have been working at Circuit City

Pros

learned a lot about selling. Hours were flexible. Also got a pretty sweet discount.

Cons

they fired all of their experienced people. Department managers cared more about the sale and customers than employees

stop sucking

Textbook example of shortsightedness

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Ops Manager Trainee
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Ops Manager Trainee

I worked at Circuit City full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you like the technologies related to consumer electronics, this can be a fun place to work for. Decent hourly pay for a retail job. Opportunities for career advancement if you work hard.

Cons

The morale was low due to micromanagement and a lack of appreciation from the company. Upper management team has either no understanding or no concern about how their decisions may affect the store employees and customer experience. Outdated inventory system made it hard to accurately track the inventory and service units, and that often led to poor customer service. Too much pressure on selling their overpriced extended warranty plan and sales associates sometimes avoided closing the ticket when customers were not interested in the warranty plan. Circuit City repeatedly laid off highest paid store employees, who were often the backbones of the day-to-day business in the store level. By axing the most hard-working and loyal employees, they demoralized the rest -- who wants to work extra hard so they can get axed, uh?

R.I.P.

See Ya!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Circuit City for more than 5 years

Pros

Once was a great company - lots of talented alumni all over the country from the "Good to Great Days"

Cons

The last years were a case study in how to run a company into the ground with incompetent management and lack of vision

Circuit City was horrible, but free paycheck.

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Circuit City full-time for more than a year

Pros

People were great. Upper management was horrible.

Cons

Upper Management was pain the you know what.

Get in the game

Worked for Circuit City? Contribute to the Community!