Cisco Systems

3.5 4,624 reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,300 ratings)

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done(in 534 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire(in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family(in 161 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity(in 149 reviews)

4,624 Employee Reviews

Account Manager

Account Manager (Current Employee) Amsterdam (Netherlands)

ProsGood employer, culture & benefits
    Good responsibility
    Career possibilities
    Development program

ConsShort term sales focus
    Reshuffle of accounts

Cisco rocks

IT Architect (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt is a great place to work in learn, grow and play because of the flexible work schedule. The leadership structure allows for personal growth, training and career development.

ConsIt is a boiler plate with lots of competing priorities and may not be right for everyone. The work never seem to stop with a demand to provide over 80% customer facing time FTU.

The Best Place to Work

Tools Consultant (Former Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsAwesome Culture, Employee Benefits and Retention policies are Remarkable.

ConsNothing i had to share.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Work Life Balance for me

ConsI was only a contractor

Reward & Recognition

Senior Business Operations Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat company in regards to benefits, pay and personal development that leads to a challenging and satisfying experience. Ethics and business transparency induce pride in being part of this company, A great culture of being part of society and understanding and accepting the responsibility that goes along with that.

ConsIt's a tough environment in which to work and succeed as 'status quo' doesn't really exist. Salaries are commensurate or even at the higher end of the industry; promotions to the next grade level may appear slow (only so much room at the higher pay grades ) but pay raises are fair and bonuses and stock rewards are icing on the cake. Cisco has visionary leadership and adjusts leadership roles (and sometimes personnel) to ensure the right person for the right role to meet new challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain transparency with the investment community, shareholders, and employees as Cisco. Cisco is seen less as a growth company and more as a value company so shareholders are looking to better understand their ROI. That can only be achieved through clear conveyance of the aspirations and direction of Cisco in the marketplace.

Very good company to work for.

Technical Leader I (Current Employee) Boxborough, MA

ProsPlenty of opportunity to work. Good pay.

ConsMotivation lacking. Company needs more young crowds which is a bit struggle to keep them for a long.

Best times are gone, but still a good company to work for

Director (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe old days when stock options could make you rich are gone forever, but total package is still good, in the top 50% percentile of similar ICT companies. You can get RSU (restricted stock units) as a bonus each year.
    Networking is not as "hot" as it used to be 20 years ago, but it is still an interesting area for working, in terms of innovation and market opportunities.
    Work environment is OK, similar to other large ICT companies, not heaven and not hell, but still way better than a steel factory, although not as exciting as a startup or high tech software company.

ConsMorale not great after many rounds of layoffs. The company needs a major shift to survive long term, which might be a threat or a great opportunity, depending on where you end up. Cisco was the Google of the 90s, now it looks more like IBM in the 90s. It is not an innovation leader anymore and market dominance is at risk.
    Many senior leaders are focused on politics and protecting their back, so the work environment is not as friendly and relaxed as it used to be. Some of the executives lack the vision, depth and personality. They can manage the "blah blah" in videos, but they fall short when it comes to real market understanding, technology vision and execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe cultural shift in the last 20 years has been dramatic and not for the better. Part of it can be explained with market dynamics and makes sense, although not pretty. Unfortunately sometimes the baby was thrown with the water, while significant dirt remained and built up.
    The values and attributes that make a leader climb the ladder need to be revised significantly. Cisco needs less pretty internal propaganda slides and more solid work and sincerity.

Great Company

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat opportunities to advance and chart your career path.

ConsWork life balance can be an issue

great place

Account Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosflexible, work from home ofter

Conslocation is to hard to get to due to traffic

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what your doing

Great experience with a good company

ProsWork ethic, benefits and culture

Conshas been more beurocratic over the years

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!