Cisco Systems

3.5 4,599 reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,290 ratings)

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done(in 527 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire(in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance could use help esp working across geographic locations; office politics(in 159 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity(in 149 reviews)

4,599 Employee Reviews

A whirlwind of activity with interesting projects, but where direction changes often.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsHave completed a lot of interesting projects, and where more are on the road map.
    Excellent training is readily available.
    The people are friendly and smart!
    Organizations are nimble.
    Opportunities are available to change groups.

ConsPriorities change frequently causing many projects to be either shelved or derailed.
    An increasing dependency on offshore contractors as local workforce is shrinking due to attrition.
    Working on projects across time zones is becoming increasingly difficult.
    Changes are not communicated well, or sometimes not-at-all.
    Difficult to promote.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent regarding changes.
    Hire more local engineers!
    Break project teams up into timezones (as much as possible)!

Cisco has great people to work with

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat benefits, fair salaries, loads of internal job opportunities

ConsVery political company with many silos

CSE Flexibility

Consulting Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsTime off, Flexible schedule, Own my schedule - take care of the customer, Pay is better than most other companies that you WANT to work for.

ConsPromotions are slow to get. If your outstand at another company, you really need to work to be outstanding at Cisco

Advice to Senior ManagementMore raises to keep up with inflation

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, great development and rewarding under the right management team

Network Consulting Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe freedom is performing you job, this includes the flexibility of working from home or any office and the responsibilities of time and expense management.

The company puts a lot of trust in you as an individual contributor.

The biggest plus are your coworkers and the support you receive and contribute to them.

ConsIf you are unfortunate with a poor manager that you report to can make the job a challenge, but you can meet him/her prior to taking a position reporting to him/her.

The raises and promotions are a bit too few and too far apart, but the ability to work from home saves on many expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right talent, trust that talent (do not micro manage) and reward results.

Foster the team relationship, as it is one of the most valuable pro's to the job.

Great people, okay projects, awesome location

Co-Op (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat culture in my specific department of Supply Chain Ops (cannot say that for all of them), management team was realistic about goals, freedom with projects, company has a strong goal as a whole, working from home is almost encouraged a day or two a week, ability to call into meetings from outside the office, San Jose location is fantastic (many people shuttled from San Francisco)

ConsSeparation of knowledge between Supply Chain and Engineering teams (especially with software products), lots of meetings only to share updates and not solve many issues, most of my projects were tedious data collection or analysis

Good company, experience depends on management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTechnology, opportunity for growth, smart people

ConsLarge company, lay-offs more often than I would like. Aggressive and frequent organizational changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you would want to be treated. Recognize diversity in personality and style of each individual. Remember that people often quit their manager, not the company.

User Experience Designer

User Experience Designer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWorked with a great and knowledgeable team

ConsSlow pased environment. Vage document requirements

Great place to start your career

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsOpportunities are plenty if you have the drive to go get them.
    Excellent mentorship available for new grads.
    Good work life balance is encouraged and there is plenty of work for those who want to go above and beyond the call of duty.

ConsAs in any company this size, there isn't always direct visibility into where the organization or company is going.
    Org changes happen very often so there isn't always a clear course forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Transparency.

Good Place to work

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCisco is pretty good at work life balance and empowerment fronts. If interested, Cisco encourages and enables employees to move to different technology or business functions.

ConsRe-orgs are becoming more frequent.

Excellent company

Technical Leader (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou get to work with talented and collaborative people

ConsToo many churns from upper management for organization directions and structures

Advice to Senior ManagementThink through a 5-year plan and stick to it to execution.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!