Cisco Systems
3.5 of 5 4,217 reviews
www.cisco.com San Jose, CA 5000+ Employees

Cisco Systems Reviews

Pros:
  • "The work life balance is better compare to many of the start-ups"
    in 467 reviews
  • "It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire"
    in 266 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance if you are an individual contributor"
    in 147 reviews
  • "The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity"
    in 139 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work if you have a family

ProsGood Benefits, Competitive work environment

ConsFar too big and bureaucratic to provide real growth opportunities, Lots of old timer biding time being non-productive.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreating a vision is not sufficient, good employees need motivation and clear path to career progression for them to succeed

he's a sales guy at heart

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems

Prosfair pay, reasonable hours, on iste gym, cafes, etc. there are pockets of good people and some very productive teams. you just have to find them

Conssexist (toward women), leadership isn't the best and brightest, colleagues aren't always straight forward and there tends to be a fair amount of passive-agressive behavior

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more high level strategic direction. seems confused as to where company is heading

Good stable job

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems

ProsLots of opportunities to learn new things and meet people with wide range of interests, Learn about cutting edge technologies (Cisco is market leader in many of these industries), Professional growth opportunities (training, classes, conferences), Rewarded for patent ideas, People are very smart and driven, Business units have team events/socials/celebrations to boost morale, Security of a big company with many resources, Open to new ideas/work styles that are collaborative workpaces, Down-to-earth culture, Pretty good food, Great location in CA, Good relocation package, Can meet lots of interesting people as an intern

ConsHard to move up the ladder, Hard to know what is going on in other aspects of the business

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter intern opportunties

Well established but boring.

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems

ProsCisco Choice Program is great for full time hires. However, as an intern you really won't get much "choice". You do get PTO at the same rate as full times which is a nice perk.

ConsVery much a large company. Bogged down by bureaucracy, multiple versions, protocol. Can be very frustrating. Also not a very exciting place to work for people under 30.

Advice to Senior Management..

Good place to work

I have been working at Cisco Systems

ProsGreat place to work and manage a family

ConsToo much of middle management

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work, play, live and learn!

Business Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems

ProsGreat place to work - you have the power to make the best of what you do. As with any other workplace, make sure you have the "right" manager - makes all the difference in the world.

ConsCan be so engrossing that it sucks you in

Advice to Senior ManagementYou do an excellent job in communicating company strategy - put more focus on operational discipline - be willing to make the tough decsions.

Good company but needs to do more to retain employees

I have been working at Cisco Systems

ProsCisco pays pretty well in comparison to other companies in the area. The work schedule is flexible in a sense that you can work from home and come in at whatever time you want as long as you get work done. Managers will usually allow you to take PTO whenever you want. Cisco is a big and stable company so job security is better than most.

Cons1) Career advancement is slow
2) No annual salary increases

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let Cisco become a boring company

Great place to work, but gets boring really fast.

Hardware Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems

ProsLarge bonuses, intellegent people, and open communication. They are completely understanding when you need time off. Not to mention they pay pretty well

ConsIt is a static company, they have 80% marketshare and they are not going anywhere soon. Yes, this means they have money, but it also means that everyone there is all too comfortable working there. This really is not the place to be if you're passionate about engineering or marketing. There is also a large age gap since they have just recently begun tapping the college graduates.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good job

Cisco is a great place to work

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems

ProsFlexible work environment and good benefits. This company is changing the world! There are many opportunities and ways to contribute to the success of this company. The salary is very good, and Cisco still pays a bonus (for now). Stock options were once plentiful but are now becoming less common. Good medical, dental, and vision benefits but there is a copay (typical). No pension but there is a 401k plan that Cisco matches to a certain percentage.

ConsSometimes long hours. Sometimes parts of the business are cut and the people are to find their own next job. However the support to find a new job is very good.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that your accomplishments matter to your customer. Get visibility.

Silos stifle work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems

ProsGood pay, with some nice benefits, like a good remote access policy, free drinks, good cafeteria.

ConsCisco acquires all their companies. This creates "silos" where each company is still closely nit and not interacting with the rest of Cisco. This is commonplace, even among acquisitions that took play over a decade ago. It's hard, as an outsider to these groups, to get information out of them. Management needs to force their hands. Cooperation is not what it should be, even among people in the same department. Many employees have a view that if you can't do your work, it makes them look better.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the silos.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cisco Systems CEO John T. Chambers . All 341 reviews posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees.