Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com

Cisco Systems Reviews

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done(in 527 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire(in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance could use help esp working across geographic locations; office politics(in 159 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity(in 149 reviews)

It all depends on where you work

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosthe benefits and perks are good, especially work at home technology
    the pay is still above average
    about half the people are great -- smart team players who do the right thing
    some units are very good places to learn and advance

Constoo many meetings where people waste time talking about work and not doing it
    some groups are petty and political, and if you are in one of those, it can be a constant struggle to stay in the loop
    some executives are incompetent
    often different teams are given the same job in blind competition == wasted effort

Advice to Senior Managementtry to get back to the old corporate culture

Not a bad place overall, but evaluate what is in it for you.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCisco is an Industry Leader in so many categories. It has a great brand name. There are immense learning opportunities. It may be a very good employer especially when starting out fresh in your career. The executive management does a very good job communicating to all employees the direction and strategy of the company.
    There is a awesome benefits package with gymns and other health benefits. There are incentive programs to promote innovation and out of the box thinking. The company also supports employee development by reimbursing tuition fees. They also have a dedicated facility to train employees in various skills.

ConsIt appears to be an overcrowded place. It appears that the pie is too small and too many people are trying to get a piece of it. This creates lot of bad blood among employees. Employees are competing with each other and often conspiring against each other instead of working together as a team to stay ahead of competition from industry peers. The engineering management would get better results if they spent some time in people management. While the company support career development initiatives, the opportunities are too few and rare even though you may have the skills needed for the job. Engineering promotions below a certain level are not announced, but silently updated in the directory - doesn't help transparency.

Advice to Senior Managementhealthy competition among employees is good, but beyond that cisco needs its employees to work as a team in order to stay a leader.

Great Work Life balance

Program Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat Work-Life balance. Very collaborative work environment. Plenty of opportunities for internal job transfers. Opportunities to learn many COTS and in house developed applications and processes. Great encouragement to the employees from the management for learning courses that contribute to career development, professional and personal growth.
    Employees in general take pride in working for Cisco and show belongingness to the company. Brand name is easily recognized through out the globe.

ConsToo big a company, with many processes. Formal knowledge transition and standardised onboarding processes almost non existent or differ greatly across various organizations. More than one person/team working on the same task without each other's knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on recognising the hard working employees than those who make just noise and no measurable results with ROI.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you don't like startup environment, cisco is the one you gotta pick up.

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsI was hired by Cisco choice program, in which new hires can choose their teams based on how they like to work or who to work for. Since most teams need more people, managers squeeze their brains to attract the new hires into their team. Before the new hires choose their teams, they are exposed to most information about projects and benefits or drawbacks of each team which is tipped by managers, who pamper the new hires badly (I thought I'm the king of cisco during the period - once I chose my team, my heyday was over..). This is an example of cisco how this company tries to lay out best environment for their employees.

ConsThe largest problem in cisco is its size. It is a big guy, which means its decision making process is very slow. Officially my reporting structure is not that complicated; manager, general manager, director, and VP (there are more, but in my position, I doubt that I can see anyone of them). But there are also inofficial small team structures here as well and of course some politics. Thus in order for me to convey my idea and make it adopted by my team, do you know how many people I have to convince?

Advice to Senior ManagementI used to work for a startup and know how fast they are moving on. Cisco doesn't have to move like that since it has its name and money and human resources. However, at least it needs to speed up a little in its overall progress for projects, but large team size may be one of biggest obstacles. Make it small and move agile.

Workig with the best and brightest in the industry, a blessing and a curse.

Technical Support Manager (Current Employee) Richardson, TX

Prosemployee empowerment. work areas, and employee benefits. Very open minded in hiring practicies, laid back approach to corporate polices, no dress codes, free sodas, jucie, tea, coffee and popcorn. working with cutting edge technology, and the opertunity to work with some of the sharpest people in the industry.

ConsLong work hours needed to compete with peers. Tough policy of maintaining the top 10%, their is constant pressure to manage out the bottom 5% performers, as there will always be a bottom 5%, there is constant pressure to stay on top of your game. Cisco sells the company ownership package to argue lower salaries.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter work/life balence, and the need to compete with higher salaries.

Great Company with many talents and opportunities, but too top heavy

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLots of opportunities and easy to move around to try new and interesting positions

ConsThere are simply too many levels of management

Advice to Senior ManagementFlaten the organization and elimnate excess powerpoint slides focus more on execution and speed to market

great work culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Proscareer opportunities are execellent. great work culture

Consbenefits and compensation could definitely be better

Advice to Senior Managementcut back on red tape. Too much process kills creativity

Cisco Review

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat benefits and great flexibility. Exciting challenges.

ConsWas not given much direction in terms of work. The atmosphere was very quiet and as a new grad, it was rather too lonely for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns need to be provided with some sort of guidance. At times, I felt I was just there to do nothing and typically had to go and attempt something on my own. I was not even sure if I was doing what I'm supposed to be doing and was pretty much coding aimlessly.

Great place to retire

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCisco is a great place to retire

ConsThere are a lot of employees just hanging around and collecting a check.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the fat and you can be much more efficient.

Cisco is a good place to work

Technical Leader I (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe pay and people are excellent.

ConsLong hours, boring work, no state of the art software. Software engineers live in cube land. Senior managment really doesn't seem to know where they are going.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove into the 21 century software development wise. Use C++ not C, use design methodologies. Use existing operating systems.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!