Cisco Systems

5,629 Reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
3,854 Ratings

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 666 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 184 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 170 reviews)

More Highlights

283 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Too big to grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well categorized. If you want be to a expert one area, it is a good choice. Good benefits, enough resources for training and huge database based on long history. Also flexible work environments.

Cons

Chopped people almost every year and rehire same number of people then restructuring. Very tired to survive.

Great work environment, decent benefits and pay

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Working with colleagues who are smart
    Great pay
    Great benefits
    Recognition for performance

Cons

Work life balance is a hit and miss

Management showing more commitment to employees

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible workplace, management showing a renewed commitment to employees

Cons

Top heavy, hierarchical organization. Inordinate amount of time is spent managing up instead of doing your work. Nonstop process and org changes.

Fulfill your new commitment to employees; give new orgs and processes at least a year before making wholesale changes.

Really great place to work!!!

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work-life balance, plenty to learn, opportunities to move around

Cons

difficult to navigate big corporate structure when new

do more to promote innovation

SP Video Global Business Development Manager

Former Employee - SP Video Global Business Development Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to engage in international business and where many hats to meet the customers' business objectives.

Cons

Inconsistent executive leadership vision and strategy, which lead to execution challenges.

Focus on the product, solution, and services offering that Cisco does best, and execute efficiently to maintain integrity and traction with customers.

Great

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

great environment to work and lot of opportunities to grow

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of

none

Great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible as far as work/life balance. Great work environment. No micro managing.

Cons

Certain depts. done offer a lot of permanent positions. Pay isn't great in SOME groups not all.

Offer people more permanent positions and don't treat some teams like it's a call center. We are engineers.

Great People and Opportunities. Hate The Politics and the Layoffs

Current Employee - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people I work with are great. Very smart and good team players. Compensation and benefits are top notch. I've been given great opportunities in the 8 years I've been there.

Cons

Wayyyyyyyy too much politics, turf wars at higher management levels (and sometimes at the lower levels) and it's absurd to me that good employees get laid off every year when the company has billions (literally) of cash in the bank. There's also pressure to make your work the number 1 priority in life.

Stop the internal turf wars. Stop with the layoffs.

Undergoing a transformation with an uncertain future. Stay away until the things change.

Former Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems (more than a year)

Pros

Many of the folks there are good to work with, trying to do good work in a tough environment.

Lots of resources for learning, but there is very little in terms of formal training. If you can find the information, it is there to use.

Interesting and original problems occasionally pop up.

Working from home is a great benefit. However, individual managers are free to dictate how employees do it. Some groups are allowed to work from home or the office at the employee's discretion. Other groups are given the tools to work from home, but the ability to do so is highly restricted.

Fairly generous PTO. However, keep in mind that the company requires all employees to use between five to seven days of it at the end of the calendar year, even if you do not have enough, forcing you to go negative. Contractors don't get PTO, but are forced to take those five to seven days off unpaid.

Cons

Management talks about doing the right thing and most employees believe in doing the right thing, but the management prevents people from doing the right thing at times. Customers are often kept in the dark about potential issues. Meetings are held discussing customer issues or bugs the customer may hit and then engineers are told to keep their mouth shut when talking to the customer.

The company is so obsessed with the numbers and stock price and stockholders, a lot of bizarre cost management edicts and processes have started to appear. The phrase "penny wise, pound foolish" is very apparent at Cisco.

Layoffs are a tool used regularly by management. People are paralyzed by the fear of being a boat rocker and getting laid off which results in low morale. Employee dissatisfaction is obvious.

Compensation is okay, but raises are rare. No cost of living increases. Promotions are also rare. There ere people in the same position for years. If you want to advance your career, it won't happen at Cisco. One tactic is to work there, get Cisco on your resume and go to a partner or another company and get a much better title and compensation, coming back to Cisco after a year or two.

Too many contractors. Cisco is trying to hit a magical number of contractors so that they can terminate them without notice instead of laying off employees. Contractors that are currently working there get strung along for months and years. To add insult to injury, instead of offering current contractors employee positions, Cisco hires outside folks without offering the open positions to the contractors.

There are so many groups at Cisco, you will do one narrow range of tasks. This leads to many jobs, especially in TAC or HTTS, being highly repetitive and un-challenging.

There are a many "experts" who are not. Working at Cisco will illustrate that having a CCIE is only proof that someone can pass a test and a lab that in no way reflects the real world. There are plenty who "earned" the certification by attending "study" sessions where people memorize questions from the written exam and scenarios leaked from the lab or by using brain dumps of questions smuggled out of the exam. Additionally, the CCIE is valued above real world experience; an employee with decades of experience and CCIE-level knowledge will not be treated as well as a newly minted CCIE with little to no experience.

Time for a change at the top. Management is far too top-heavy and entrenched in its ways. Chambers should retire. Warrior and others need to be jettisoned. The company needs fresh leadership to make the changes to stay relevant. The rise of Arista and Palo Alto and the catch up Cisco is having to play illustrates that management has allowed the company to stagnate.

Stop focusing on company performance and stock performance at the expense of employee morale.

Reduce the reliance on contractors. Having so many people who have no incentive to go the extra mile and be high performers does not help. Expecting them to be invested in the company and its performance is unrealistic when they don't share in the success.

Great Environment, love my co-workers.

Current Employee - ROC - Service Analyst in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - ROC - Service Analyst in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-Not micro-managed
    -Great Environment
    -This company is headed in a great direction because they are software driven and understand the market and how to be successful.
    -Getting bigger every day, always acquiring new companies
    -Casual environment that allows you to be who you are and have personality.
    -Co-workers are extremely helpful in all departments, very team oriented.

Cons

My current job has its own challenges but am ready for take on more and it is very difficult to get to the next level.
    My boss is not very involved in the day to day operations, don't have as much support from them as I would like to have. In my current position with the account managers we support we have to hand hold them a lot and take on responsibilities that they should be able to handle and be held accountable for.

Although I am glad I am not micro managed, it would be nice to have more of a relationship with my boss than I currently have, as I only see him once or twice a week. Account managers need more training with Cisco tools such as CSCC and basic operations tasks so that they can understand what we do. This would also help them be able to ask us better questions and help them relay it to partners and customers. Since I have been at Cisco there has been 2 big cuts in middle management positions and this is a big deterrent in wanting to stay with the company.