www.cisco.com

5,409 Reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
3,744 Ratings

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 666 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 184 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 170 reviews)

More Highlights

274 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible as far as work/life balance. Great work environment. No micro managing.

Cons

Certain depts. done offer a lot of permanent positions. Pay isn't great in SOME groups not all.

Offer people more permanent positions and don't treat some teams like it's a call center. We are engineers.

Great People and Opportunities. Hate The Politics and the Layoffs

Current Employee - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people I work with are great. Very smart and good team players. Compensation and benefits are top notch. I've been given great opportunities in the 8 years I've been there.

Cons

Wayyyyyyyy too much politics, turf wars at higher management levels (and sometimes at the lower levels) and it's absurd to me that good employees get laid off every year when the company has billions (literally) of cash in the bank. There's also pressure to make your work the number 1 priority in life.

Stop the internal turf wars. Stop with the layoffs.

Excellent place for work life balance and career growth

Current Employee - Technical Leader in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Leader in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Independent work style. Lots of ways to make meaningful contribution. Pretty much no hierarchy at all, can reach out to anyone provided they are available when you want to meet.

Cons

Constant changes all the time - but its the new norm in high tech

Focus on Stabilizing and attract more young talent

Great Environment, love my co-workers.

Current Employee - ROC - Service Analyst in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - ROC - Service Analyst in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Not micro-managed
    -Great Environment
    -This company is headed in a great direction because they are software driven and understand the market and how to be successful.
    -Getting bigger every day, always acquiring new companies
    -Casual environment that allows you to be who you are and have personality.
    -Co-workers are extremely helpful in all departments, very team oriented.

Cons

My current job has its own challenges but am ready for take on more and it is very difficult to get to the next level.
    My boss is not very involved in the day to day operations, don't have as much support from them as I would like to have. In my current position with the account managers we support we have to hand hold them a lot and take on responsibilities that they should be able to handle and be held accountable for.

Although I am glad I am not micro managed, it would be nice to have more of a relationship with my boss than I currently have, as I only see him once or twice a week. Account managers need more training with Cisco tools such as CSCC and basic operations tasks so that they can understand what we do. This would also help them be able to ask us better questions and help them relay it to partners and customers. Since I have been at Cisco there has been 2 big cuts in middle management positions and this is a big deterrent in wanting to stay with the company.

Challenging work that supported career growth

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I joined Cisco on a two week contract, and 8 years later am still a happy employee. I advanced my career at Cisco by moving to more senior positions and eventually management. Cisco sponsored me to obtain my MBA. The compensation and benefits package is generous. I have learned a lot and appreciate the opportunities afforded me to develop myself and contribute in new ways.

Cons

As a large company, it can sometimes feel hard to get things done, but there is a focus to change that in the last 6-12 months and into the future. At senior levels, there isn't a lot of room for advancement, and moving between teams, although encourage and even expected, seems to rest solely on the individual. Lastly, yearly reorganizations seem to waste time and resources, will yearly layoffs drag on the culture.

Find formal ways to facilitate rotation for employees to move between functional groups if they would like to.

Great employer to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Paid holidays and environment that pushes you to be the best employee you can be. The gym and cafeterias are awesome!!!

Cons

Very political but still a nurturing environment, too many contract positions.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cisco is in a strong position in the IT world.

Cons

You need to constantly evaluate your position and whether you are vulnerable to the yearly purge.

Great pay w/ flex schedule

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Company supports work/life balance. Pay is better than average. They support flex schedule and work from home/telecommuting.

Cons

Sometimes lots of work can make it hard to take time off during peaks.

Excellent environment

Current Employee - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Frustrating at times dealing with customers but surrounded by a great team. Had I known how good it is to work here, I would have moved years ago.

Cons

Management goals need to be achievable

Cisco is an excellent company. As long as your expectations are aligned.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is great. The company is very understanding of your home life and most jobs allow you with the flexibility of working from home. I was located at the RTP office and the campus is very nice.

Cons

If your expecting a high impact challenging environment this place may not be for you. While the work is stimulating it is definitely not like working at other younger tech companies. It seems like a lot of people are at their jobs for very long times so moving is not the easiest. The organization is very buercratic and it can be frustrating to see how longs some things take to get done.