Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems Reviews in Research Triangle Park, NC

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done(in 527 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire(in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance could use help esp working across geographic locations; office politics(in 159 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity(in 149 reviews)

142 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Gone from great to mediocre

Project Manager (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

Proslarge company, good benefits, generally good people

Conslayoffs are now routine, culture changing for the worse

Poor management leads to directionless employees

Customer Support Engineer (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsLots of freedom. Good Compensation and Benefits.

ConsPoor workers stay around and cause more work for the good workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking advantage of hard working employees and fire the poor performers so that you can hire better workers and load share better.

Great place to work, fun people, great work environment !!

CALO Co-op (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros-Happy people, everyone has fun
    -Cooperative workplace, not cutthroat environment
    -Great opportunities, get a foot in the door and you can go anywhere

Cons-Getting a foot in the door can be difficult, try, try again
    -Can be a little difficult to get into the right spot initially, most people start in basic job, then transfer to right department
    -Some positions can be a little stressful, but most is created by individual, very easy to manage if well equipped

Advice to Senior ManagementHad some recent bad news in workforce shrinking, but nothing day to day should be affected

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Continuously have the opportunity to learn new things.

Program Manager (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsEncouraged to work anywhere. Flexible work hours. Salaries are good. People are friendly. Socially responsible. Encourage volunteer activities...many ways to give back to communities. John Chambers is motivating. I love working at Cisco!

ConsToo many "re-orgs." I do not have any other "cons" about Cisco.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe annual reviews for employees needs more attention.

stressful, a lot of politics, unfair reward

Software Engineer III (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

Prosbig company, a lot of employers, opportunities within the company

Consyou don't get rewarded no matter how hard you try, it's mostly about politics,
    frequent layoffs even after growing profits, they always have to find bottom 5% even if all the team members tried hard. nonsense company

Advice to Senior Managementwake up, stop bullshitting

Fantastic work environment with great people, culture, compensation, benefits, facilities, resources - can go on and on!

Account Manager (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsBest in class solutions for customers in the industry, Can be confident to know you have a great company behind you and value-add solutions that help our customers achieve their business goals and plan for the future. Many resources available to help you be successful in your role. Fantastic team environment. Most employees are smart, hardworking, and always willing to help. After 90 days you can typically work from home 1 day a week. Challenging goals and high expectations from management, but a culture that emphasizes work life balance and is of the, get your work done and do what you have to do mentality. Good flexibility and very little micro-management. They hire good people and treat you like adults, meaning they trust you to be productive and get things done. Great long term career opportunities and exposure to many different roles and career tracks. Your options are endless. Many employees at company for 10-15+ years; very unusual these days, especially in IT. This is a testament to the wonderful culture at Cisco.

ConsLarge corporation that can be cumbersome at times. Must be very flexible as things change regularly. Days fill up quickly with many meetings, training, etc., not all of which are of great value. Have to learn what is important and what you can skip. Tools can be frustrating to work with, still use way to many Excel spreadsheets for things and underutilization of CRM capabilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! I have always been very impressed with the quality of the leadership in my organization.

Best Company to Work for In Networking

Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsFreedom to just get the job done, great co-workers (hard-working, ethical, customer focused), compensated well

ConsNothing to really complain about

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to encourage a culture where people are rewarded for trying new things and are not penalized for not always getting it right the first try. Cisco employees have a great deal of pride we want to succeed....

Great Place to work at

Technical Lead (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsGreat Place to work at

ConsProcess some time slow down innovation

Great Company

Manager, Operations (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsVery large = Very many opportunities to move and get varied experiences; the company and most managers promote movement after a few years in role

ConsGets tougher to grow as you move into managerial roles; Decision making can be a tad slow at times but getting better in the last few years

Advice to Senior ManagementConstant re-orgs cause frustration; Make the hard decision quicker;

24 years as technical support engineer

TAC Engineer (Former Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsGreat customer experience. Bleeding edge technology

ConsThey get rid of long time employees and outsource their work to India and Costa Rica. The customer support suffers and the customer satisfaction plummets and all they care about is the bottom line. There is no loyalty anymore. They do not care about the employee or the customer. It is all about metrics. Take a case close a case.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect and appreciate your AMERICAN born work force

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!