Cisco Systems

Updated February 26, 2015
3.6

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 666 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 184 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 170 reviews)

More Highlights

186 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Happiest I've been in my career

Current Contractor - Anonymous in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Contractor - Anonymous in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

- Competent management. At least my immediate boss is pretty amazing. He doesn't micromanage and takes care of all the politics so I don't have to.

- Challenging environment. Being a cutting-edge shop there is always demand for you to learn more skills and contribute more. I found it very easy to contribute at a level above my paygrade, which made me indispensable to my team.

- Smart peers. These are the most competent coworkers I've ever had. They make me feel like a dummy on a regular basis but never hesitate to teach or show me new things. Very humble, good for a laugh or a joke, very hardworking.

Cons

- Getting converted from a contractor to full-time is a big giant question mark. Despite contributing amazing results, it still may not happen due to machinations going on higher up in the food chain.

- Having to get in on contract (and thus through recruiters) is a hassle. Recruiting firms are generally incompetent and selfish in my personal experience.

- Spend some time/money to source contractors directly. You'll save yourself time and aggravation. I have applied directly to other large companies and the process was much less painful than having to go through a consulting agency. That could just be my personal bias as I really dislike working with recruiters.

- Be a little more consistent with hiring/firing seasons. An arbitrary hiring freeze mixed in with an unexpected round of layoffs destroys morale and prevents departments that NEED more help from growing. Some of the teams I support seem to have a blank check for hiring and yet those groups that support the growing teams don't have any ability to expand to keep up.

Consistant Lays-offs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

they try to promote a work-life balance although you may work long hours when it comes to certain projects. Great place for flexibility and buffer to learn new stuff. Able to work from home on most occasions. The benefits are excellent! The work culture is exceptional; everybody is willing to pitch in and help out whenever possible. And there are tons of resources to use.

Cons

there are plenty of work compensation and promotion complaints. Most importantly there have been at least 4-5 job lay-offs in the last decade...

Develop an effective plan that will help appease the compensation and promotion complaints. Also ease the fear of employees being laid off year after year.

Current Employee - CSE in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - CSE in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love this place. Long hours sometimes but fair compensation and decent office amenities. I would totally recommend it.

Cons

The expectations are that you act intelligent and put in a fair amount of work. It's not easy but it's awesome.

Sr Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Lot of opportunities. Lot to learn

Cons

Too much politics, negative energy.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Flexibility in work hours and location, with the clear expectation that work must be done on-time, and with quality results.

Cons

Very complex company, and will take a new employee a long time to ramp up and understand the company as a whole...Years to understand it holistically. This is because there is not a traditional hierarchical org structure - rather think of it like many moving parts with virtual teams organized quickly and constant restructures.

Trust your people, and keep letting them work anytime anywhere - when appropriate.

Good stepping stone

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Approachable and nice people. Excellent Benefits and overall good experience

Cons

Only hiring in NC, and lack of cohesive culture

Work on talent retention

Those interested in TAC - Great exposure, lacking stability

Current Contractor - TAC Support - Server Virtualization in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to many of Cisco's industry-leading Data Center products.

Exposure to a fast past work environment.

Exposure to a high-stress work environment (if you can do this you can do it all).

Cons

Cisco rarely converts or hires employees. TAC is a disposable commodity (high supply / low demand).

In TAC it is typically selective of those who are either college graduates with no work experience or extremely educated MBA graduates. (Making them affordable, in the sub 60k category)

It is difficult to be away from the job if you need personal time, however Work from Home is encouraged.

Salary expectations are average to below-average (for those with Masters and above)

Consider growth potential of the talent. Don't let enthusiastic graduates burn out fresh out of college.

Too big to grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well categorized. If you want be to a expert one area, it is a good choice. Good benefits, enough resources for training and huge database based on long history. Also flexible work environments.

Cons

Chopped people almost every year and rehire same number of people then restructuring. Very tired to survive.

Great work environment, decent benefits and pay

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Working with colleagues who are smart
    Great pay
    Great benefits
    Recognition for performance

Cons

Work life balance is a hit and miss

Lots of pros, lots of cons

Former Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salaries are very high vs comparables. You can learn a LOT if you're willing to work AND can find part of the org that is growing. There are still pockets of very cool technology. Generally very open to remote workers. Many jobs have very flexible time schedules. There are some really really good managers here.

Cons

They're struggling with a strategy. It's hard to get innovative projects committed in the mature parts of the business. The last couple of years have seen regular layoffs that have badly hurt morale. There are some really really bad managers here!