Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

140 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great experience

Customer Support Engineer IV (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

Proswork from home, access to technology, good workplace

Conscompetitive, sometimes hard to move up

Company in Transition

IT Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsFlexible work - work from home, flex hours as needed. Good pay and benefits.

ConsCisco used to be a great company to work for and may again be a great company. Right now they are struggling to find their new identity which is causing a lot of stress for the workers. Raises? non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep sharing with the Cisco family the direction and how we will get there.

Reactionary Company where the best way to enter the company is through an acquisition

Technical Leader I (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsFlexible Work Hours and Work Location when working for a manager that embraces the usage of tools.

ConsContinually Squeezed Compensation. 80/20 rule. Senior Management with the exception of the CEO come and make an impact and leave the mess for someone else.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Global Program Manager, IT

Global Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsTechnology solutions leadership. Excellent benefits. Customer success.

ConsMaturing large enterprise, scale and adaptability.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's always about the people, about relationships over issues (ROI). Lead from the top, manage from the middle. Customer is king.

Business Operations

Business Operations (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsEmpowerment, great compensation and great talent.

ConsMany reorganizations and positions going off-shore and working long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great Potential, Cumbersome Organization

Sales and Marketing Support Manager (Former Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsCisco is a fantastic company in terms of benefits - I've never worked for a company that offered more. Salaries and bonuses are good, but there's much more - all kinds of insurance and health-related programs that help both the employee and the community. Always something interesting going on. Always a chance to get involved and do new things, both inside and outside of work.

ConsIt is painfully hard to get things done. Every department and every project and every process seems to be in flux all the time. Too many hands in every pot. Processes are too cumbersome. Too many meetings, too much confusion. It's a big, big company, with all the usual big-company problems.

Note: this perspective is from a person who joined on as a result of her smaller, privately-held company getting acquired by Cisco.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify. Think "efficiency." Make a smart plan and stick to it for a few days.

Great place to learn.

Lab Staff (Current Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsGreat place to learn and build your resume. I have learned a lot over the years I have been working here.

ConsCompensation is the worst and it's Impossible to get a decent raise. I almost feel like I'm going to have to ask for a raise every quarter for the next 3 years to make what I should be making. They will hire people with zero experience and pay them more than you just because they had budget that quarter, but giving you a raise? That's unheard of.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and make sure they are being compensated equally and fairly for the work they do.

No raises ever

Network Consulting Engineer (Former Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros-- Ability to get hands on with the latest high end networking equipment
    -- Relaxed environment

Cons-- You have to get promoted to get a raise ( at least in the org I was in )
    -- I was there 6 years, got great performance reviews and never got a raise

Advice to Senior ManagementInclusion and diversity are great things but don't take things too far and cater MORE to foreign cultures than the local ones.

They know the Networking Business but not Software

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsComfortable work environment. Flexible hours and many people work from home

ConsReorgs are constant. Bureaucracy strangles advancements. Leadership spends a lot of time protecting themselves and building their areas instead of really doing what's best for the business. I was seriously surprised to see a company like Cisco being run this way and more amazed that they've been successful in spite of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the employees and the effects your decisions have on them. Lead the company to excellence instead of spending so much of the focus on your own interests and investments.

Stressful/Outsourcing is new Company Culture

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Research Triangle Park, NC

Prosbright talent anguishing at the bottom of company hierarchy

Consdiminishing technical Job with frequent lay-off due to outsourcing, new tac has become sweat shop culture, CEO get huge raise of 80% for cutting Jobs. Management had mind set of Cisco being hardware co. failure to do timely acquisition in software, virtualization & NextGen technologies has put the co. dominance par behind its competitor.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't axe of your employee who make constructive criticism. I was one of the victim and critic of CEO handing the current co. direction, and I ask for CEO to meet folks on the bottom of the totem pole in my review next is now history.. hahaha..

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems reviews and ratings in Research Triangle Park, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cisco Systems CEO John T. Chambers . All 140 reviews posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees.