Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

132 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood company to work for, high energy.

ConsHigh stress, culture is not for everyone working.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an employee survey conducted each year, glad that they take it very seriously. More paid training to keep up with technology trends.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMany opportunities, high caliber people, flexible work schedule

ConsCisco is going through sone transitions right now, so a tougher environment

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to make the difficult decisions

I'm a cog

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 8 years

ProsInteresting and relevant work. Very talented coworkers. Very nice on site gym.

ConsExecs treat their teams like slaves. Substandard development tools. Below average pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo unto others...

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No raises ever

Network Consulting Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-- Ability to get hands on with the latest high end networking equipment
-- Relaxed environment

Cons-- You have to get promoted to get a raise ( at least in the org I was in )
-- I was there 6 years, got great performance reviews and never got a raise

Advice to Senior ManagementInclusion and diversity are great things but don't take things too far and cater MORE to foreign cultures than the local ones.

somewhat mixed experience

Technical Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgood team, decent compensation and benefits, work life balance, internal opportunities to move around.

ConsExecutives and CEO in particular tend to make excessive amount of strategic mistakes. With time the company started to be running more and more by financial people. "Old cisco culture" keep diluting. Excessive amount of management layers with a middle management simply watching dashboards and doing nothing else.

Advice to Senior Managementflatten management structure, observe obvious market trends for god sake, trust engineering talent.

I worked as an inside sales account manager.

VSAM (Former Employee)
Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good culture and atmosphere. Good managers that promote hard work but also recognize there is a time for fun.

ConsMany different products to gain understanding of. Balancing the inside management team versus the field management team can be delicate.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Firing on all 4 Cylinder but Co. is not moving ahead since decade !

Support Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Prosbright engineer to work with, at one time this was best networking school but now -> no more .. best networking school is outsourced !

ConsFrequent Layoff, No growth for bright folks, Co. runs by old school of ideological thought, Squeaky wheel get more grease in Cisco.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up ! very soon top talent will leave you and then you can follow Nortel or Bay Network !

Current state of co. is as follows Top Dog of co. get whopping pat on the back with a pay rise of nearly 100 per cent for axing 4000 Jobs and he further states if U.S. tax laws are not changed, he will be forced to move more of Cisco's workforce overseas.

Looks good on resume if you can take the job long enough to keep it on a resume

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, contributors or non management are usually pretty helpful and great people to work with. You will need this to grow, not get a raise or higher position in the company, but just to grow as an individual. Employees teach each other, all do it yourself style. Not much as far as a how to internally. Work from home, that is a huge plus, but also grants yourself to working longer hours.

ConsBasically no pay raises. Very hard to get yourself put out there as a great contributor. Usually receive a new manager 1 to 2 months before the yearly review which could give you a raise. Easiest way to say, sorry I dont know how good/bad you are, so no raise this year, again. Tired of always working late and hard work being input and nothing getting out. Looking for a new position in another company. Beware if you request a raise too much with the recent yearly employee head chopping, your head will be on the block pretty quickly. Not enough internal communication is given to employees. Too much money spent on buying new companies when Senior Management turn around, fire 4,000 people and say its to keep our stock holders happy. Funny thing is all full time employees are basically stock holders, so who is really supposed to be the happy ones? Yearly survey is sent out, nothing really done with the bad parts, all meetings skip those questions. Too many meetings about things that have nothing to do with your actual work. Example: IT meeting, all hands. All IT must attend. Basically 2 hours talking about how sales is doing and how the cisco.com home page was created. If you work in the NW team, and never deal with that, it was a wasted 2 hours basically.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork towards a goal that internal employees can actually see. Stop pushing all these re-orgs after Cisco buys various companies that get sold 2 years later. Acquasitions are usually supposed to help a company not just bring in more employees that can be easily laid off later. Instead of buying a company to get rid of the competition, create something that will help push Cisco higher. The switch/router industry is seeing a major change and I doubt the present Cisco model is ready for it.

Incredible learning opportunity for a co-op

CALO (Current Employee)
Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou work with some of the smartest people in networking, many CCIEs, everyone is usually willing to help you. The company treats co-ops pretty well. They pay for co-ops to get their CCNA.

ConsManagement for the co-ops could greatly improve.

Vendor Point of View

Project Consultant (Current Employee)
Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor for more than a year

ProsKnowledgeable individuals; allow telecommuting; global opportunities

ConsMinimal follow-up and correction when processes are put in place; disjointed when operationalizing services or solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to mentor

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems reviews and ratings in Research Triangle Park, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cisco Systems CEO John T. Chambers . All 132 reviews posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees.