Cisco Systems Reviews

Reset

1. Happiest I've been in my career

Current Contractor - Anonymous in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Contractor - Anonymous in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Competent management. At least my immediate boss is pretty amazing. He doesn't micromanage and takes care of all the politics so I don't have to.

- Challenging environment. Being a cutting-edge shop there is always demand for you to learn more skills and contribute more. I found it very easy to contribute at a level above my paygrade, which made me indispensable to my team.

- Smart peers. These are the most competent coworkers I've ever had. They make me feel like a dummy on a regular basis but never hesitate to teach or show me new things. Very humble, good for a laugh or a joke, very hardworking.

Cons

- Getting converted from a contractor to full-time is a big giant question mark. Despite contributing amazing results, it still may not happen due to machinations going on higher up in the food chain.

- Having to get in on contract (and thus through recruiters) is a hassle. Recruiting firms are generally incompetent and selfish in my personal experience.

Advice to Management

- Spend some time/money to source contractors directly. You'll save yourself time and aggravation. I have applied directly to other large companies and the process was much less painful than having to go through a consulting agency. That could just be my personal bias as I really dislike working with recruiters.

- Be a little more consistent with hiring/firing seasons. An arbitrary hiring freeze mixed in with an unexpected round of layoffs destroys morale and prevents departments that NEED more help from growing. Some of the teams I support seem to have a blank check for hiring and yet those groups that support the growing teams don't have any ability to expand to keep up.

2. Consistant Lays-offs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

they try to promote a work-life balance although you may work long hours when it comes to certain projects. Great place for flexibility and buffer to learn new stuff. Able to work from home on most occasions. The benefits are excellent! The work culture is exceptional; everybody is willing to pitch in and help out whenever possible. And there are tons of resources to use.

Cons

there are plenty of work compensation and promotion complaints. Most importantly there have been at least 4-5 job lay-offs in the last decade...

Advice to Management

Develop an effective plan that will help appease the compensation and promotion complaints. Also ease the fear of employees being laid off year after year.

3. Yes.

Current Employee - CSE in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - CSE in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love this place. Long hours sometimes but fair compensation and decent office amenities. I would totally recommend it.

Cons

The expectations are that you act intelligent and put in a fair amount of work. It's not easy but it's awesome.

5. Sr Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Lot of opportunities. Lot to learn

Cons

Too much politics, negative energy.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Flexibility in work hours and location, with the clear expectation that work must be done on-time, and with quality results.

Cons

Very complex company, and will take a new employee a long time to ramp up and understand the company as a whole...Years to understand it holistically. This is because there is not a traditional hierarchical org structure - rather think of it like many moving parts with virtual teams organized quickly and constant restructures.

Advice to Management

Trust your people, and keep letting them work anytime anywhere - when appropriate.

Good stepping stone

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Approachable and nice people. Excellent Benefits and overall good experience

Cons

Only hiring in NC, and lack of cohesive culture

Advice to Management

Work on talent retention

Those interested in TAC - Great exposure, lacking stability

Current Contractor - TAC Support - Server Virtualization in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to many of Cisco's industry-leading Data Center products.

Exposure to a fast past work environment.

Exposure to a high-stress work environment (if you can do this you can do it all).

Cons

Cisco rarely converts or hires employees. TAC is a disposable commodity (high supply / low demand).

In TAC it is typically selective of those who are either college graduates with no work experience or extremely educated MBA graduates. (Making them affordable, in the sub 60k category)

It is difficult to be away from the job if you need personal time, however Work from Home is encouraged.

Salary expectations are average to below-average (for those with Masters and above)

Advice to Management

Consider growth potential of the talent. Don't let enthusiastic graduates burn out fresh out of college.

9. Too big to grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well categorized. If you want be to a expert one area, it is a good choice. Good benefits, enough resources for training and huge database based on long history. Also flexible work environments.

Cons

Chopped people almost every year and rehire same number of people then restructuring. Very tired to survive.

10. Great work environment, decent benefits and pay

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Working with colleagues who are smart
    Great pay
    Great benefits
    Recognition for performance

Cons

Work life balance is a hit and miss

Changing Cisco...

Former Employee - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professional group of people who uplift each other. The people are what makes it a great place to work.

Cons

Changing business strategy disregards worker sentiment. Many express sadness on the changes being made by management, because it shows little regard for those remaining.

Advice to Management

Change the way you treat your workforce. Although change is necessary in the modern business environment, more consideration should be made for those left behind. This may be part of the plan, who knows, but many good people will/are leaving resulting in a less than professional work force. This will impact your business. You forgot this

Showing 206 of 6,367 reviews