Cisco Systems Reviews

• Research Triangle Park, NC

1. Cisco Review

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity

Cons

I do not have any cons about this job

Network Consulting Engineer Advanced Services

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Decent salary and yearly bonus
    - Ability to take advanced training in the latest technologies
    - Take a job, learn the latest technology, jump companies

Cons

- No time to take advanced training
    - Zero moral after multiple years of hunger game style layoffs
    - Use to be a positive and energizing environment, no longer the case
    - Endless stream of emails from executives congratulating themselves

Advice to Management

Next round of limited restructuring needs to be in executive management

Best Internship Experience

Current Intern - Sales Strategy & Planning in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Intern - Sales Strategy & Planning in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Definitely a culture that fosters innovation and encourages growth in young employees. Mentors are around every corner, all you have to do is ask. The pay is incredible, especially since you can go to school full-time and pick up projects as they fit your schedule

Cons

The company is very fickle and sometimes too big for their own good. A lot of time and money is spent developing young talent but promotions and new hiring are put on hold because of changes in upper level management, etc.

Advice to Management

Be sure to provide actual opportunity for advancement. If you don not reward top performers, they will leave and there's a lot of hungry companies eager to snatch up employees you invested so much time and money in.

Silos and resistance to change

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, ample training opportunities, great place for self-starters and remote workers.

Cons

As part of a services practice, it was nearly impossible to get information from business units to properly do my job. My manager was ineffectual and unhelpful (affirmed by management poll of my group). Review structure discourages employee cooperation and teamwork.
    Our division was undermined by a failed acquisition that poisoned our market standing and ruined relationships with key customers. Cisco throws money at buying new solutions, but fails to do due diligence beforehand and lacks the followthru to integrate the new businesses.
    Once you're hired, forget about lateral moves. Cisco hiring managers are biased to external candidates and ignore qualified and proven internal candidates. And forget about raises in your current classification.

Advice to Management

Limiting performance recognition to fixed quintiles means that employees are demotivated when they get bad reviews simply so the manager's chums get raises and key assignments. People then tend to play CYA games and limit collaboration so they don't jeopardize their own reviews. Also, laying off thousands and then complaining about the lack of qualified candidates (H1-B politics) is disingenuous and wrong.

6. A great company that pushes its people hard

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation. Good benefits. Interesting work.

Cons

Can be treacherous if caught up in a layoff. Management can be difficult. Delivery cycle doesn't work.

Advice to Management

Don't continue deliver to dates at the cost of quality.

7. Hard work, very long hours

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to an unlimited and vast amount of information. Potential for career growth is very positive, due to existing and future technologies constantly being introduced to. You can make your own hours, however see the first comment.

Cons

Long hours, must learn very fast.

Advice to Management

Include one day a week of simply training, or reviewing the latest technologies. Should be a requirement at the Architect level. Although most professionals operating in this capacity , will instinctively seek additional knowledge during their personal time. A day for learning is a nice to have.

8. Culture of awesomeness!

Current Intern - IT Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Intern - IT Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Really great culture/atmosphere. everyone is excited about their job and you can move around in whatever field you want. Cisco really wants you to find your fit.
    emphasis on work life balance. super flexible. work from home is totally fine.

Cons

They are struggling now with new competitors.

A relentless drive to marginalize engineers

Current Employee - Technical Leader I in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Leader I in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A standard set of benefits that work. Good health insurance, life insurance and 401k benefits. Most departments provide the opportunity for highly flexible hours.

Cons

Yearly lay-offs are draining morale. Engineering is viewed as a cost center, so engineering is being marginalized by getting less of the bonus pot of money than some other areas in the corporation. We're not sure where this will lead Cisco in the future as it has traditionally been based on technology advancement. It might end up in very dark places for an engineer based in the USA.

The best benefits (restricted stock options, for example) are reserved for only the top 5 or 10% of employees. This is stratifying the environment, and a culture of severe envy is building. As an engineer, obtaining the top 5% can be counter intuitive. Technical excellence helps, but political connections are most important. This is anathema to a typical engineer.

As an engineer, the advancements of salary and title are now extremely limited. The upside to this is most of the engineers achieve excellent work-life balance since there is little benefit to working too hard.

All of the above started changing sharply in 2008. Before that, it was a very different story. Many engineers are mourning the loss of a once great Cisco.

Advice to Management

Stop being disingenuous with regards to engineering employment at Cisco.

Reward the top 10%, but also share with the core employees who do the actual work. Stop cutting out the core. The corporation has plenty of money to share but has chosen not to.

10. Project Manager

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance; collaborative environment; awesome colleages

Cons

I was a red badge contractor doing a great job (being considered for a permanent blue badge if a position came available), but did not have my contract renewed due to the global restructuring in September 2013. Disappointed to be caught in that mess, as it only impacted the red badges who were up for renewal right when that happened. Other PMs on my team that had contracts come up only a short time later were renewed.

Advice to Management

Although my Cisco supervisor felt badly and did help me find another position right away, it ISN'T Cisco - and I would prefer to be back there. Advice: don't let good PM's go and please bring me back!

Software Engineering Intern

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent compensation package, focus on employee participation in volunteer work, including matching donations to certain charities and foundations

Cons

Overall the main issue I saw with Cisco was the size of the company itself. Because it is so large, many projects may get cancelled or sold off to another company.