Cisco Systems

5,596 Reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
3,840 Ratings

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 666 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 184 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 170 reviews)

More Highlights

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Business Development Manager

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

My overall experience with Cisco was very, very good. I joined via an acquisition a number of years ago and the experience was excellent. Cisco was very good about being decisive and making changes quickly in order to proceed and advance on emerging strategies.

Cons

Better training / mentoring for folks new to Cisco as it is a beast to navigate and understand how things work. Most of my management team was excellent and folks I respected however my last manager was clearly out for him/herself only and made a career of positioning him/herself above the team.

10 Years at Cisco in both Sales and Sales Operations Roles

Current Employee - Program Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cisco emphasizes work/life balance and this is honored in all roles I've held with the exception of sales. Medical benefits are very good, 401K options are comparable to other companies. Other perks like tuition reimbursement are above average. Cisco IT is very good about maintaining the latest technologies and tools to do you job. (ie: BYOD for mobile devices and virtual office setups to support remote workers.)

Cons

I've witnessed 3 major layoffs since joining the company in 2004 and at least half a dozen re-orgs within Sales Operations. Salaries are competitive when you first join the company, but it's difficult to advance due to HR policies and bureaucracy. In my case, it has been a lack of job role hierarchy and descriptions on the part of HR that has prevented me from continuing to advance. Cisco struggles to attract millennials and the workforce is aging.

Spend less time managing up and more time mentoring the people who work for you. Your job as a middle manager is to balance the two groups of people. A truly talented manager cares about the success of his or her employees and enjoys watching employees succeed.

Great overall company.....

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Came in as part of an acquisition and it has been very encouraging to find so many other folks who have come in that way and stayed around for so long. The benefits and the pay are good. I work from home full time which allows me great flexibility and time with my children.

Cons

If you prefer a smaller environment it can be difficult to find the right niche within Cisco which provides that smaller company feel. Also travel budgets are pretty locked down which can make being a full time teleworkers difficult.

Find ways to bring people together physically. Also it is great to rely on TP and collaboration but that easy to say when only upper management has the good equipment for f2f

Great to have on the resume. That's it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Brand name, one of the biggest tech companies, hub of technology.

Cons

Not the greatest senior management in the world. Will work you to the bone without adequate recompense. Career development and growth might be stunted, depending on what department you work in.

Get your stuff together.