Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems Reviews in Reston, VA

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done(in 527 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire(in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance could use help esp working across geographic locations; office politics(in 159 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity(in 149 reviews)

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

10 Years at Cisco in both Sales and Sales Operations Roles

Program Manager (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsCisco emphasizes work/life balance and this is honored in all roles I've held with the exception of sales. Medical benefits are very good, 401K options are comparable to other companies. Other perks like tuition reimbursement are above average. Cisco IT is very good about maintaining the latest technologies and tools to do you job. (ie: BYOD for mobile devices and virtual office setups to support remote workers.)

ConsI've witnessed 3 major layoffs since joining the company in 2004 and at least half a dozen re-orgs within Sales Operations. Salaries are competitive when you first join the company, but it's difficult to advance due to HR policies and bureaucracy. In my case, it has been a lack of job role hierarchy and descriptions on the part of HR that has prevented me from continuing to advance. Cisco struggles to attract millennials and the workforce is aging.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time managing up and more time mentoring the people who work for you. Your job as a middle manager is to balance the two groups of people. A truly talented manager cares about the success of his or her employees and enjoys watching employees succeed.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great overall company.....

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsCame in as part of an acquisition and it has been very encouraging to find so many other folks who have come in that way and stayed around for so long. The benefits and the pay are good. I work from home full time which allows me great flexibility and time with my children.

ConsIf you prefer a smaller environment it can be difficult to find the right niche within Cisco which provides that smaller company feel. Also travel budgets are pretty locked down which can make being a full time teleworkers difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to bring people together physically. Also it is great to rely on TP and collaboration but that easy to say when only upper management has the good equipment for f2f

Great to have on the resume. That's it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsBrand name, one of the biggest tech companies, hub of technology.

ConsNot the greatest senior management in the world. Will work you to the bone without adequate recompense. Career development and growth might be stunted, depending on what department you work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your stuff together.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!