Cisco Systems

3.5 4,608 reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,293 ratings)

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done(in 527 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire(in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance could use help esp working across geographic locations; office politics(in 159 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity(in 149 reviews)

4,608 Employee Reviews

Cisco is good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCisco uses the state-of-the-art IT infrastructure/systems to increase productivity.

Cisco offers a wide range of technologies to work on.

ConsCisco is very process heavy - it tends to move too slowly compared to some other innovative companies in the valley.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten some of the process requirements to enable the company to practice agile programming to compete.

Different BUs different experiences

Senior Director (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFocus on core networking technology, Great place to learn.

ConsLack of executive decision making and regular layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire forward looking executives who can transition the company with the ever changing landscape

Excellent place to work and collaborate with your peers.

Systems Engineer III (Former Employee)

Prosthe atmosphere of the company, the access to training and career paths

ConsThe travel frequency and work with different time zones.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is very mature, just maintain Cisco as a Leader no matters what happens in terms of technology in other areas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They do their best to take care of their employees

ProsThe execs do a good job at making you feel valued. John Chambers immediately was punching me in the arm like old college friends

ConsIt's a huge, HUGE company. It sometimes can be difficult determining the value of your particular contributions.

Cisco is a great place to work

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat projects, opportunities and employee resources.
    The people, lots of smart people who truly want the project to succeed.
    Ability to telecommute.
    Good total compensation.

ConsManagement can be a real pain sometimes.
    Experience may vary from team to team depending on your manager.
    Top heavy and too much middle management.
    The work/life balance can be tricky, the sheer workload can make this difficult to balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your people, they get it more than you think.

SW Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsInteresting place to work and I have been with the company for more than ten years and I am currently still employed by the company

ConsCompany has gone through a number of re-org and one of the most recent re-org was last year. I suppose this is common for company which is large and need to focus on resource and budget and productivity.

Good Work Life Balance

ProsVery flexible, good work life balance

ConsI don't really care for the open work space, keep the cubes!

Great place to build a career

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosoffered a good benefit package. you are always encouraged to have a training plan you are working on. they offered sales contests periodically with very nice tech prizes or sometimes very large cash bonuses

Consa 24/7 mentality. you should always be connected to email. if you aren't you will pay by getting severely behind. email is a ball and chain in this company.

It is a good company

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossmart people, work hard, good mobility to move around. Excellent benefits. Work with top companies in the world as customers.

Conspay is average. Cisco leadership is spotty in some places but rolling layoffs have helps get rid of most. Rolling layoffs are not great but are needed to weed out bottom 5%.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more to the front line folks

Cisco is proactively evolving and staying relevant to our customers in an ever-changing technology landscape.

Director (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- Smart, experienced, and engaged employees with a good balance of long tenured and newer employees
    - At the center of many of the key technology trends for broad exposure
    - Proactively evolving and transforming for business relevancy and impact
    - Great work life balance that leverages Cisco collaboration technology to provide work location flexibility
    - Lots of opportunities to work in new roles / areas

Cons- Large matrix organization, requires a learning curve and relationship development to successfully navigate
    - Ongoing change is not for everyone, can be challenge for some folks who like a steady state
    - Limited leadership development / rotational programs, requires proactive self-solutioning

Advice to Senior Management- As the company continues to make the hard tradeoffs to drive long term success, focus on ways to keep the organization's eye on the prize
    - Identify ways to provide more promotion velocity at certain key levels
    - Provide more leadership development training opportunities, especially externally based programs

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!