Cisco Systems

5,289 Reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
3,684 Ratings

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 639 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 356 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 183 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 167 reviews)

More Highlights

Contractor but feel almost like an employee

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There is a great deal of flexibility in the department I work in.No Micro Managers around you to hinder your progress. You learn a great deal in networking ,industry technologies and Cisco products ofcourse. I love the culture of putting family first in their attitude and I work under a manager who walks his talk.

Cons

They cut back every year even in profitable teams/departments. They expect one to learn a lot of technologies to do their job in a little less time than one can handle.

Stop the cuts and hire the contractors. Settle your employees so they don't feel intimidated every year by the job cuts. To bring back the Cisco Mojo start by supporting the employees.

Outstanding Company to Work For

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Quality of work life. Autonomy and flexibility. Empowerment and egalitarianism. Liberal telecommuting policy. Compensation.

Cons

Somewhat bloated managerial structure. IMHO, many in upper levels of management perceive a need to inject complexity in order to maintain job security.

Siloed and disconnected policy making. Central functions are continually at odds with individual business unit practices. Cisco is a great-great company that treats its employees with respect and appreciation, but leadership has difficulty executing to a clear vision, which can be frustrating and potentially demotivating. There are some very good executives and some not-so-goods (again, IMHO).

As long as Cisco is able to maintain the bottom line for shareholders, there most likely won't be any motivation to acknowledge and address the above criticisms.

Great work environment with a lot of freedom to contribute

Former Employee - IT Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They do a very good job of pairing you up with mentors, and I went from knowing nothing about big data to knowing a whole lot after just one summer thanks to some great mentorship.

The expectations are extremely lax in terms of the hours you put in, and people in my department would often come in at 10 and leave at 3.

Cisco does a lot of team building lunches and the ilk. Paid work day at Great America theme park and other fun perks

Cons

Like a lot of other big companies, it's nearly impossible to see how your work contributes to a final product. That, paired with the nature of Cisco's business prevented me from getting excited enough to return

Great and meaningful

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly here, including managers and directors, the environment is great!

Cons

The traffic around the company is terrible in rush hour.

N/A

Great place to learn, work - Difficult to grow fast

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- very good work/life balance
    - flexible work - can do work from home
    - Good PTO benefits
    - Many folks know technically very well, very good place to learn new things
    - emphasis given to training if needed
    - Once Cisco is on your resume, you can easily hop jobs and come back to Cisco again later.

Cons

- Frequent layoffs, tough for green card applicants with so much of back log.
    - Compensation is less compared to market rate. Once, a salary is set, very difficult to get a hike unless promoted.
    - Performance is based on ratings given by the manager which can lead to differences within the team.

- Increase salary for folks who are working for long time atleast 4-5 % a year.
    - Improve working conditions in older buildings - building 1-8. Still has same old cube structure.
    - Encourage faster growth for exceptional working folks.
    - Provide stock compensation for grades 10 and lower.

Overall good company but low morale becoming an issue

Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-like balance
    Remote work
    Management focused on new markets and technology

Cons

Annual layoffs kill morale
    Salary increases not regular

The annual layoffs are killing morale. There is some hypocrisy in telling employees how valuable they are, and then announce a "limited restructuring" every August. Employees then have to worry if they're gonna get axed in October. It's an empty feeling being told you aren't affected, and then learning co-workers who have been affected. It's becoming an internal joke every August when deliverables come up and hearing someone say, "if I'm still here". Please stop doing this.

One of the best company to work!

Current Employee - IT Architect in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - IT Architect in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People company!, changed the world with internet and going to part of another change IOT/IOE.

Cons

the stock price is not moving up :-(

Please keep up the culture and values!, plus keep up the innovation engine.

Great Environment, love my co-workers.

Current Employee - ROC - Service Analyst in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - ROC - Service Analyst in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

-Not micro-managed
    -Great Environment
    -This company is headed in a great direction because they are software driven and understand the market and how to be successful.
    -Getting bigger every day, always acquiring new companies
    -Casual environment that allows you to be who you are and have personality.
    -Co-workers are extremely helpful in all departments, very team oriented.

Cons

My current job has its own challenges but am ready for take on more and it is very difficult to get to the next level.
    My boss is not very involved in the day to day operations, don't have as much support from them as I would like to have. In my current position with the account managers we support we have to hand hold them a lot and take on responsibilities that they should be able to handle and be held accountable for.

Although I am glad I am not micro managed, it would be nice to have more of a relationship with my boss than I currently have, as I only see him once or twice a week. Account managers need more training with Cisco tools such as CSCC and basic operations tasks so that they can understand what we do. This would also help them be able to ask us better questions and help them relay it to partners and customers. Since I have been at Cisco there has been 2 big cuts in middle management positions and this is a big deterrent in wanting to stay with the company.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Business Operations Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Business Operations Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great teammates
    Ability to change jobs yet stay in the same company
    Good benefits, flexible work schedules
    Always learning

Cons

Annual culling of the herd
    Politics

Value employee more. Identify and train or remove of bad managers. The culture needs to more a little more towards the left..Like it use too.

Fun!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities as Cisco is a large company you can move around in. Young culture made work fun! The bonuses were nice if your company did well. The on campus health was nice!

Cons

Standard big company politics such as fighting for a raise, competing with your peers, and layoffs. Bad managers seemed like they were not kicked out soon enough!

Clean house of some of the stale managers!