Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,245 ratings)

4,537 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done"
    in 502 reviews
  • "work/life balance with possibility to work from home, supported by collaborating tools"
    in 280 reviews
Cons:
  • "work/life balance could use help esp working across geographic locations; office politics"
    in 153 reviews
  • "The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity"
    in 146 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company, great Technical Leaders

Software Engineer II (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsCisco's TLs will floor you with their humility despite the wealth of knowledge and insight they carry. For a Grade 4-6, the learning can be phenomenal if tuned properly. John Chambers is an amazing CEO - such a great visionary. He has lead Cisco steadfast through difficult times and given focus/resources to the right areas to solve Customer problems.

ConsExecution maybe ? Given the size of Cisco, it is hard to disagree that things move relatively slower at Cisco than at other smaller companies in the same domain. It can get annoying to a Cisco employee when "spin-ins" are funded despite the treasure trove of technical expertise and ability to execute within. Fixing this malaise could potentially work wonders!

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think management needs encouragement. Just to add onto what I have observed - Personal growth is slow, but there is certainly a recognition for good work.

CSE Flexibility

Consulting Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsTime off, Flexible schedule, Own my schedule - take care of the customer, Pay is better than most other companies that you WANT to work for.

ConsPromotions are slow to get. If your outstand at another company, you really need to work to be outstanding at Cisco

Advice to Senior ManagementMore raises to keep up with inflation

Great experience, great development and rewarding under the right management team

Network Consulting Engineer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe freedom is performing you job, this includes the flexibility of working from home or any office and the responsibilities of time and expense management.

The company puts a lot of trust in you as an individual contributor.

The biggest plus are your coworkers and the support you receive and contribute to them.

ConsIf you are unfortunate with a poor manager that you report to can make the job a challenge, but you can meet him/her prior to taking a position reporting to him/her.

The raises and promotions are a bit too few and too far apart, but the ability to work from home saves on many expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right talent, trust that talent (do not micro manage) and reward results.

Foster the team relationship, as it is one of the most valuable pro's to the job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, okay projects, awesome location

Co-Op (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGreat culture in my specific department of Supply Chain Ops (cannot say that for all of them), management team was realistic about goals, freedom with projects, company has a strong goal as a whole, working from home is almost encouraged a day or two a week, ability to call into meetings from outside the office, San Jose location is fantastic (many people shuttled from San Francisco)

ConsSeparation of knowledge between Supply Chain and Engineering teams (especially with software products), lots of meetings only to share updates and not solve many issues, most of my projects were tedious data collection or analysis

decent company

Prosgood work and environment.

Consfrequent layoffs.. lack of budget

Good company, experience depends on management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTechnology, opportunity for growth, smart people

ConsLarge company, lay-offs more often than I would like. Aggressive and frequent organizational changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you would want to be treated. Recognize diversity in personality and style of each individual. Remember that people often quit their manager, not the company.

Excellent company

Technical Leader (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsYou get to work with talented and collaborative people

ConsToo many churns from upper management for organization directions and structures

Advice to Senior ManagementThink through a 5-year plan and stick to it to execution.

User Experience Designer

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsWorked with a great and knowledgeable team

ConsSlow pased environment. Vage document requirements

Great place to start your career

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsOpportunities are plenty if you have the drive to go get them.
    Excellent mentorship available for new grads.
    Good work life balance is encouraged and there is plenty of work for those who want to go above and beyond the call of duty.

ConsAs in any company this size, there isn't always direct visibility into where the organization or company is going.
    Org changes happen very often so there isn't always a clear course forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Transparency.

Good Place to work

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsCisco is pretty good at work life balance and empowerment fronts. If interested, Cisco encourages and enables employees to move to different technology or business functions.

ConsRe-orgs are becoming more frequent.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cisco Systems CEO John T. Chambers . All 4,537 reviews posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees.