Cisco Systems Reviews

6,054 Reviews
Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
4,035 Ratings

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 666 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 184 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 170 reviews)

The grass isn't always greener...

Former Employee - Manager, Network Services in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Network Services in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I decided to wait almost a year after leaving the company before posting a review. The primary reason being is that when you decide to leave an organization it is usually because there is something there that isn't aligning with you or what you want anymore however, the grass is not always greener someplace else. This has been my experience. In fact, the appreciation I have for the company has grown so much in my time away that I would really like to return.

The company truly believes on promoting within and as an employee you are encouraged to grow your career within the organization and learn new skills by taking different positions. Benefits are excellent. Cisco is the industry leader for networking and now cloud. It is sometimes easy to forget that on the daily grind but you are working for the company that everyone looks to for network and infrastructure standards. Culture within the business units managing product lines give you a lot of freedom to be innovative and creative in your approach to your role. In most cases you are given a fair amount of autonomy and control over how you do your job provided that it aligns with the strategic objectives. Benefits, 401k match, RSUs and ESPP are amazing. And while the salaries aren't the top of the industry, they are above market and pretty competitive.

Cons

Cisco can be a machine. There isn't an overt demand for all of your time (even the time outside of work) but more of a subtle, slight encouragement to always be on. If you are not careful, you will live, sleep and eat Cisco 24x7. Don't get me wrong, this is 100% a choice and if you are aware of this subtlety in the culture it is very easy to set appropriate boundaries that will be respected by the company and leadership team.

If you don't like where you are in Cisco or what you are working on, give it 6 months because you will be reorg'd. While it is sometimes necessary to realign the company to meet competitive threats or market demands, reorganizing the company once a year is excessive and tends to create a distrusting environment for the rank and file which makes being a leader in the organize challenging. There is a loss of momentum and motivation that occurs a few months before and a few months after reorgs so this leaves the company being effective at delivery and execution only about 70% of the time.

While Cisco attracts some bright, motivated people the truth of the matter is you are either cut out for the company and its culture or you're not. If you aren't it will be painfully obvious to you and those around you. Sadly as a leader it is hard to cut dead weight from the team and the only really accepted way is via layoffs, which is why the company reorgs once a year despite the company line about the reorgs.

Advice to Management

In my time at Cisco I was a part of 3 different and distinct business units. I enjoyed working for each of them and found that I was able to contribute value in every role I held. What was painfully obvious to me was that the company is (or was) going through a bit of an identity crisis. Consumer vs no consumer. Social media vs no social media. AWS like cloud offering vs Cisco cloud offering.

My advice to the leadership team is this. We (Cisco for life) are *Cisco*. *We* develop the standard for networking, infrastructure and cloud. *We* are the industry leaders in our segment. *We* stand a cut above and make no apologies for it. Own being Cisco. We don't need to compete with Apple, Facebook, Google, or Amazon. *We* don't chase our competitors. They chase us.

Software Engineer

I worked at Cisco Systems (More than 10 years)

Pros

A good place to work and learn.

Cons

There are too often reorganization and shuffle of upper management positions and strategic directions of the business unit that I used to work for.

3. Commodity Manager

Former Employee - Commodity Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Commodity Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1 - People are nice,
    2 - pro telecommuter,
    3- nice gym, and day care services
    4 - good company to gain valuable experience from a world class company.

Cons

1 - Too big, many chefs, top mgt heavy
    2 - people overuse telecommuting. decision velocity , and collaboration impacted

Advice to Management

getting people to come to work and meet in person!

5. Great work experience, great first-level managers, good compnay

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging projects hone your software skill set.
    Usually work in teams, good team culture. Good functional managers and tech leaders.
    Good benefits and incentives.

Cons

Large company, sometimes shows indecisiveness. Which can effect the efficiency and result in lost work.

6. Engineer II

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work timings. My manager is a very nice person. Lots of perks and year end bonus.

Cons

Pay is little less when compared to other IT giants. Every Cisco building is now being converted to open space.

7. Great culture

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Love the culture and management style

Cons

Aggressiveness in bring new products to the market makes for difficult delivery.

Advice to Management

Ramp up trained specialists to improve delivery.

8. Company review

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

new technology to study and be apart off

Cons

layoffs are too often for the past 5 years

Advice to Management

Manage the group better

9. A gret place to work, but remember EVERYONE is replaceable

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

* decent salary for the region
    * good benefits
    * many technology areas to branch in to

Cons

* they are off shoring many positions to India and China
    * work / life balance often gets out of skew
    * seem hypocritical: Mr Chambers presented a video calling for employees to remain loyal to the company, that if we stay with Cisco we can proudly tell our grandchildren that we were not Bay Area mercenaries running to the biggest salary -- and yet Cisco regularly (once every 1-2 years) lays of large numbers of employees. And they aren't the bottom 5% as often advertised.

Mostly positive - a study in tradeoffs

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work / life balance
    Decent compensation

Cons

Few opportunities for advancement
    Silo'd culture among business units
    Annual layoffs

Advice to Management

Stop the annual layoffs. They are destroying productivity for months.

11. Analyst

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Awesome environment, great benefits. Fun place to work

Cons

There are lots of meetings