Cisco Systems

3.5 4,624 reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,300 ratings)

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done(in 534 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire(in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family(in 161 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity(in 149 reviews)

4,624 Employee Reviews

Different BUs different experiences

Senior Director (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsFocus on core networking technology, Great place to learn.

ConsLack of executive decision making and regular layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire forward looking executives who can transition the company with the ever changing landscape

Great Company!

ProsGreat workplace flexibility and diversity.

ConsA lack of accountability. Too many re-org.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink hard before hiring people. Think harder before laying off people.

Cisco - Great place to work, but be ready to be stuck in same role for years

Sales Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Miami, FL

Pros-Compensation
    -Work life balance
    -Corporate Social Responsibility opportunities (i.e. Matching donations)
    -Innovation. Freedom to create.

Cons-Career mobility/growth tends to zero. You'll be stuck in same role or with limited horizontal changes for years (+6y!!!)

Advice to Senior Management-Lots of silos still need to be broken...
    -Career development!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent work/life balance, good benefits

Senior Verification Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsExcellent work/life balance, good benefits, challenging work

ConsNo stock options/RSUs, unclear vision, cubes getting smaller

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease perks

Cisco's Revival

Market Research Analyst (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsCisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance. Remote work is unlimited, which is especially helpful if you have kids or like to travel. Additionally, from a networking perspective, Cisco has perhaps the most experienced workforce in the Tech industry. As a young adult, I've met and connected with many senior professionals (VPs, SVPs, EVPs, etc. are all very willing to sit down with you), which has opened many doors for me; there aren't many companies where you can openly approach the CMO or CEO and expect them to listen, Cisco is unique in this sense. Furthermore, the company may have an "old" image in the Valley, but after having been here for a year, Cisco is in the midst of a grand transition. If you're patient, and believe in long-term results, Cisco is the best company to work for.

ConsAs with any enterprise company, Cisco has some drawbacks based on its sheer size. With around 70,000 employees, Cisco sometimes feels a bit like a bureaucracy. Seemingly simple tasks become long, inefficient conundrums. Meetings often run long and create a cascading domino effect which, occasionally, leads to long days. Lastly, it's difficult to start from the bottom and experience much career advancement. The most successful employees seem to have worked 10-15 years at other Tech firms before having transitioned to Cisco.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage managers to expedite the job progression process for younger employees, so as to keep them from working for your opponents.

Good for a place to end your career

Group Manager Product Marketing (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsFlexible work schedules (people work from home a lot), smart people, and good pay make it a good place to finish out your work life. Products are good, margins are solid, and the people are generally friendly.

ConsThe people who stay have died inside. You sell a part of your soul to stay, especially if you want to do anything truly interesting or innovative. It's a massive organization, so it's easy to get lost in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the constant re-orgs. It's exhausting to constantly be shuffled from group to group, executive to executive.

great!

Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosbig company experience, benefits and perks, large campus and working from home. mergers and acquisition experience is great!

Consconstant change of managers, inability to set a path and stick with it.

Good place to work

Pros1. Good learning curve and challenging projects
    2. Skilled colleagues

Cons1. Too many organizational changes

Cisco is a great place to work

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat projects, opportunities and employee resources.
    The people, lots of smart people who truly want the project to succeed.
    Ability to telecommute.
    Good total compensation.

ConsManagement can be a real pain sometimes.
    Experience may vary from team to team depending on your manager.
    Top heavy and too much middle management.
    The work/life balance can be tricky, the sheer workload can make this difficult to balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your people, they get it more than you think.

It is a good company

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossmart people, work hard, good mobility to move around. Excellent benefits. Work with top companies in the world as customers.

Conspay is average. Cisco leadership is spotty in some places but rolling layoffs have helps get rid of most. Rolling layoffs are not great but are needed to weed out bottom 5%.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more to the front line folks

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!