Cisco Systems Reviews

5,024 Reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
3,606 Ratings

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done (in 534 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 161 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity (in 149 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid Processes and Systems in Place to get the job done and to grow your career.

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small teams & Specialization, Mature Business Processes and Good Products
    Work Life flexibility
    Free Coffee
    Enough Time to catch up on cases. Tier 1 Calls are outsourced. Tier 2 Calls live transferred. Calls Rotate to other regions after 2pm.
    Good Systems for Knoweldgebase and customer support

Cons

Cubicle Work Environment / support teams clustered together and lots of noise at times

Ever optimistic, but still not around the corner

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility in how, when, and where you work is phenomenal for a company of this size. It's a two-edged sword, but having the option to take a WebEx from home, Starbucks, airports, the beach, or in the office ... permits a level of versatility -- and fully acceptable by colleagues and management -- that would be hard to repeat elsewhere. It's part of the culture. The flipside is that work more easily creeps into your personal space and follows you on vacation if you're not careful. Another consequence is that Cisco offices can feel like ghost towns.

Cisco has an immensely successful and rich portfolio and is well-positioned for the future. But ... for the past few years, it has felt like Cisco is constantly trying to turn a corner ... and never quite making it.

Cons

The biggest con nowadays is that Cisco is trying vigorously to grow income faster than revenue. This translates to what seems like a never ending round of budget cuts and divestment. Workforce reductions are becoming more common than pay raises and the value proposition to working here is becoming harder to defend.

Cisco has a severely bloated middle level of professionals. Upward mobility is limited and the path can be vague.

The promise of a better future is beginning to sound hollow. A major shake-up C-Suite leadership is in order. You've gotten us this far, but we need a little less loyalty among the senior ranks and a little more fresh thinking.

Cisco - Innovation and Decision Making is key to longevity

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Have Internet Access? Work anywhere.
    Cisco has a great set of core values
    The working environment is positive. Cisco employees are professional and results oriented.
    There is a healthy amount of rewards and recognition
    Cisco takes corporate social responsibility seriously. I enjoy having time to volunteer and giving back to the community representing Cisco

Cons

Annual Layoffs - Cisco is bleeding top talent and top talent would think twice about joining this company. Needs to get smarter around hiring practices as to limit the annual layoff trend.
    Change Fatigue - It is really unclear if the Cisco Strategies work because Cisco is in a constant rate of change.
    Executive Leadership is very shy about making decisions or there is too much collaboration and not enough directive decision making.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome work tools and world class culture

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

HD Video collaboration tools at your finger tips, rich online libraries to help you get your work done. Everyone is excellent and has good energy.

Cons

Career path mobility is near impossible since the best of the best are hired here. As such, the salaries are not nearly as competitive as some of their smaller competitors (that will always be trying to lure you.) I worked at Cisco for almost 15 years and never made it past first line management where most other companies would have seen me at Sr. leadership roles by then.

Reward your loyal employees who have stayed with Cisco for more than 5 years with the opportunity for growth.

Fast paced environment with many talented people

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

work-life balance can be good if you have the right manager

Cons

24/7 is important since it's a global business there's never a dull moment!

treat employees that produce well

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Compensation, flexibility, vacation time, growth potential.

Cons

Current job requires almost 100% travel.

No ego, little politics, great work-life balance - at the cost of low-energy environment.

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like how my colleagues are down-to-earth, in a real way. I interviewed with hot industry names and was really put-off by the arrogance of the people I've met. The work-life balance is also very good. The compensation is competitive with most of the top names in the market. Also, management is experienced and good to learn from.

Cons

It's an older culture. People are not very driven. The company isn't really innovating. The benefits are good, not amazing - the ESPP program, for example, is pretty good for a corporate.

Management should create special tracks for younger employees.

I have been at Cisco for several years and they have treated me very well. No complaints here.

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

The people I have worked with are top notch. Great leadership, excellent managers, excellent pay scale, excellent benefits.

Cons

Multiple layoffs/restructuring. The company is strong. Workforce reductions are an attempt to target key growth areas in a terrible economy and rapidly transitioning environment.

No advice

TEchnical leader

Current Employee - Senior Technical Leader  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Leader in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good technologies to work on
    Good family life with few months of hard work during board bring up

Cons

None for now
    People management can be improved

Software Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent compensation package, focus on employee participation in volunteer work, including matching donations to certain charities and foundations

Cons

Overall the main issue I saw with Cisco was the size of the company itself. Because it is so large, many projects may get cancelled or sold off to another company.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!