Cisco Systems Reviews

6,004 Reviews
Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
4,030 Ratings

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 666 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 184 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 170 reviews)

1. System Engineering

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Cons

Advice to Management

It is great company to work for. Great leadership, great career development opportunities, nice colleagues around. Nothing about the cons. Just feel there will be more room for salary increase and for better benefits.

2. Great culture, great work-life balance, great compensation

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

There are many pros about working for Cisco including: work-life balance, compensation, culture, benefits, people etc.

Cons

The biggest con is the layered management staff. In many cases there can be 10 managers over an individual contributor. In this case it is very unlikely that individual can be properly recognized for their contributions.

3. Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Good learning curve
    Automation is a must

Cons

One person can have only one role

5. 9 years

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

lots of learning
    working from work options
    good work perks
    good gym, cafe, stock options

Cons

stagnant career
    too much internal politics
    each business unit is reinventing the wheel. too much redundancy

Advice to Management

pay attention to remote employees
    less politics
    business units need to work together collaborate and share rather than compete

6. Software Engineer

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Good Benefits. Flexible work time.

Cons

Base salary is not good.

The grass isn't always greener...

Former Employee - Manager, Network Services in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Network Services in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I decided to wait almost a year after leaving the company before posting a review. The primary reason being is that when you decide to leave an organization it is usually because there is something there that isn't aligning with you or what you want anymore however, the grass is not always greener someplace else. This has been my experience. In fact, the appreciation I have for the company has grown so much in my time away that I would really like to return.

The company truly believes on promoting within and as an employee you are encouraged to grow your career within the organization and learn new skills by taking different positions. Benefits are excellent. Cisco is the industry leader for networking and now cloud. It is sometimes easy to forget that on the daily grind but you are working for the company that everyone looks to for network and infrastructure standards. Culture within the business units managing product lines give you a lot of freedom to be innovative and creative in your approach to your role. In most cases you are given a fair amount of autonomy and control over how you do your job provided that it aligns with the strategic objectives. Benefits, 401k match, RSUs and ESPP are amazing. And while the salaries aren't the top of the industry, they are above market and pretty competitive.

Cons

Cisco can be a machine. There isn't an overt demand for all of your time (even the time outside of work) but more of a subtle, slight encouragement to always be on. If you are not careful, you will live, sleep and eat Cisco 24x7. Don't get me wrong, this is 100% a choice and if you are aware of this subtlety in the culture it is very easy to set appropriate boundaries that will be respected by the company and leadership team.

If you don't like where you are in Cisco or what you are working on, give it 6 months because you will be reorg'd. While it is sometimes necessary to realign the company to meet competitive threats or market demands, reorganizing the company once a year is excessive and tends to create a distrusting environment for the rank and file which makes being a leader in the organize challenging. There is a loss of momentum and motivation that occurs a few months before and a few months after reorgs so this leaves the company being effective at delivery and execution only about 70% of the time.

While Cisco attracts some bright, motivated people the truth of the matter is you are either cut out for the company and its culture or you're not. If you aren't it will be painfully obvious to you and those around you. Sadly as a leader it is hard to cut dead weight from the team and the only really accepted way is via layoffs, which is why the company reorgs once a year despite the company line about the reorgs.

Advice to Management

In my time at Cisco I was a part of 3 different and distinct business units. I enjoyed working for each of them and found that I was able to contribute value in every role I held. What was painfully obvious to me was that the company is (or was) going through a bit of an identity crisis. Consumer vs no consumer. Social media vs no social media. AWS like cloud offering vs Cisco cloud offering.

My advice to the leadership team is this. We (Cisco for life) are *Cisco*. *We* develop the standard for networking, infrastructure and cloud. *We* are the industry leaders in our segment. *We* stand a cut above and make no apologies for it. Own being Cisco. We don't need to compete with Apple, Facebook, Google, or Amazon. *We* don't chase our competitors. They chase us.

8. Software Enginner 10

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Competitive culture, action based environment. ESPP. Onsite healthcare. Learning opportunities for other technologies.

Cons

Pay could be much better.

9. DoD Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

EXCELLENT company. Great People. very fair compensation package.

Cons

long hours, but if your a type A you'll love it! You are your own boss and you decide how much you work.

Advice to Management

Fantastic company, keep it going!
    Work/Life Balance is only complaint

10. High Touch Engineer

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Encourage self starters and ensure you manage/drive your career path within the company. Support innovation and collaboration throughout the company. Your career progression is in your hands.

Cons

If you don't like change such as reorganizations or having to continuously update your technical knowledge to keep up with the market transitions, then working at Cisco will be a challenge.

11. Great company

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent culture in which you can really make a difference on a global scale.

Cons

It is a very big company and making an impact can require a lot more work than seems necessary.

Advice to Management

The companies focus on customers is excellent. We need to inspire more people to see beyond their narrow focus.