Cisco Systems

5,769 Reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
3,921 Ratings

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 666 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 184 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 170 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for.

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Work environment is friendly.
    Great package
    Plenty of opportunities to learn

Cons

Usual politics can happen at times.

Director Sales

Former Employee - Director Sales in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director Sales in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Great company to work
    Great employee support
    Great benefits
    Great challenges
    Great Technology power house

Cons

Lack of accountability culture
    Arrogancy
    talking Euphemism from leaders
    Meetings-titis!, need to go to doctor. Houndred of persons in a meeting, no one do anything.

Talk direct, no BS!
    name the thing as they are
    dont believe there is no live after Cisco
    treat the people as you would like to be treated whe you leave Cisco

Good company, great people, too political and still too much overhead

I have been working at Cisco Systems (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people; end-to-end product portfolio

Cons

Advancement is all about who you know. Skills development is 100% on you. There's no real internal training anymore. Way too many individuals, teams, and organizations who exist because an exec got a chance to create it...rather than truly serving a business purpose...leads to lots of duplication.

Amazing company

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Great work/life balance; superior compensation

Cons

Far away from head office; hard to get visibility for promotions;

Model the behaviours Cisco espouses.

Happiest I've been in my career

Current Contractor - Anonymous in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Contractor - Anonymous in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

- Competent management. At least my immediate boss is pretty amazing. He doesn't micromanage and takes care of all the politics so I don't have to.

- Challenging environment. Being a cutting-edge shop there is always demand for you to learn more skills and contribute more. I found it very easy to contribute at a level above my paygrade, which made me indispensable to my team.

- Smart peers. These are the most competent coworkers I've ever had. They make me feel like a dummy on a regular basis but never hesitate to teach or show me new things. Very humble, good for a laugh or a joke, very hardworking.

Cons

- Getting converted from a contractor to full-time is a big giant question mark. Despite contributing amazing results, it still may not happen due to machinations going on higher up in the food chain.

- Having to get in on contract (and thus through recruiters) is a hassle. Recruiting firms are generally incompetent and selfish in my personal experience.

- Spend some time/money to source contractors directly. You'll save yourself time and aggravation. I have applied directly to other large companies and the process was much less painful than having to go through a consulting agency. That could just be my personal bias as I really dislike working with recruiters.

- Be a little more consistent with hiring/firing seasons. An arbitrary hiring freeze mixed in with an unexpected round of layoffs destroys morale and prevents departments that NEED more help from growing. Some of the teams I support seem to have a blank check for hiring and yet those groups that support the growing teams don't have any ability to expand to keep up.

Excellent Company

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Management, Good Culture, Good Paymaster

Cons

Too big of an organization to influence

Continue good work!

Sales organization with no guidance or loyalty.

Former Contractor - Technical Enablement Engineer
    Former Contractor - Technical Enablement Engineer

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I got to work from home most of the time unless I had a customer engagement with a Cisco Partner in Georgia. Every Friday I had 2 conference calls in the morning and then it was off to the pool with the kids and the nanny! It was great!

Cons

The organization was constantly in flux. All of TEEM members tried to do more but we were limited as to what we were allowed to support. The whole Road Warrior program was seeded using Cisco money via Marketsource. We were never allowed RED badge access and we only got one week of training in Raleigh, NC.

Clearly define roles and goals for Technical Trainers. Recognize true effort from team members and reward them by letting them keep their jobs once they gain traction with partners. Here sales people that know the products and their capabilities and not just "pretty" faces that are idiots!

Great Company for Engineers

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Boxborough, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Boxborough, MA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cisco is great, period. You will work with the best engineers and managers the world has to offer. Cisco brings several classes to their campuses, which gives employees great opportunity to develop breadth and depth of their skills. As an engineer, they provided free python training at three different levels! The work is tough, but rewarding; you will create thought-leading products that will be used worldwide. Cisco is a prestigious company, and you will continue to improve yourself during your tenure. Drink the kool aid and you will go far! You can achieve decent salary and bonus increases without making lateral transitions. I do recommend switching business units every few years.

Cons

Tough but not impossible work life balance. As an engineer you need to stay agile and at the top of your rank to avoid layoffs. However, good work will get you far!

Continue what you are doing! Some of my best memories come from working at Cisco, and I still speak proudly of my stay there.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Raspberrry Think Tank in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Raspberrry Think Tank in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

I loved the culture and work environment. I had a wonderful time at the company

Cons

Budgets, a lack of direction. Mis management

The company is already conservative in personality. Take some risks. The game has changed and developing tools to manage social media is where its at. Spend more time hiring people in the United States rather than replacing a person with 3 people over seas.

Excellent place to work

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Lots of learning, good people, takes care of emps

Cons

Rapidly transforming industry, pace of change, skills need constant updates

NA