Cisco Systems Reviews

Reset
3.7
Cisco Systems CEO Chuck Robbins
Chuck Robbins

Pros
  • Work-life balance is the last remaining pro (in 666 reviews)

• Ability to work from home when needed or desired (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is nonexistent (in 184 reviews)

• BIG company that treats employees as interchangeable (in 170 reviews)

6,037 Employee Reviews

The grass isn't always greener...

Former Employee - Manager, Network Services in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Network Services in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I decided to wait almost a year after leaving the company before posting a review. The primary reason being is that when you decide to leave an organization it is usually because there is something there that isn't aligning with you or what you want anymore however, the grass is not always greener someplace else. This has been my experience. In fact, the appreciation I have for the company has grown so much in my time away that I would really like to return. The company truly believes on promoting within and as an employee you are encouraged to grow your career within the organization and learn new skills by taking different positions. Benefits are excellent. Cisco is the industry leader for networking and now cloud. It is sometimes easy to forget that on the daily grind but you are working for the company that everyone looks to for network and infrastructure standards. Culture within the business units managing product lines give you a lot of freedom to be innovative and creative in your approach to your role. In most cases you are given a fair amount of autonomy and control over how you do your job provided that it aligns with the strategic objectives. Benefits, 401k match, RSUs and ESPP are amazing. And while the salaries aren't the top of the industry, they are above market and pretty competitive.

Cons

Cisco can be a machine. There isn't an overt demand for all of your time (even the time outside of work) but more of a subtle, slight encouragement to always be on. If you are not careful, you will live, sleep and eat Cisco 24x7. Don't get me wrong, this is 100% a choice and if you are aware of this subtlety in the culture it is very easy to set appropriate boundaries that will be respected by the company and leadership team. If you don't like where you are in Cisco or what you are working on, give it 6 months because you will be reorg'd. While it is sometimes necessary to realign the company to meet competitive threats or market demands, reorganizing the company once a year is excessive and tends to create a distrusting environment for the rank and file which makes being a leader in the organize challenging. There is a loss of momentum and motivation that occurs a few months before and a few months after reorgs so this leaves the company being effective at delivery and execution only about 70% of the time. While Cisco attracts some bright, motivated people the truth of the matter is you are either cut out for the company and its culture or you're not. If you aren't it will be painfully obvious to you and those around you. Sadly as a leader it is hard to cut dead weight from the team and the only really accepted way is via layoffs, which is why the company reorgs once a year despite the company line about the reorgs.

Advice to Management

In my time at Cisco I was a part of 3 different and distinct business units. I enjoyed working for each of them and found that I was able to contribute value in every role I held. What was painfully obvious to me was that the company is (or was) going through a bit of an identity crisis. Consumer vs no consumer. Social media vs no social media. AWS like cloud offering vs Cisco cloud offering. My advice to the leadership team is this. We (Cisco for life) are *Cisco*. *We* develop the standard for networking, infrastructure and cloud. *We* are the industry leaders in our segment. *We* stand a cut above and make no apologies for it. Own being Cisco. We don't need to compete with Apple, Facebook, Google, or Amazon. *We* don't chase our competitors. They chase us.

2. MPE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Pros

Great leadership. Great CEO, Great company culture

Cons

None, great company to work for while your young

Promotions / raises are tough

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promotions and raises are attainable

Cons

If your manager isn't your advocate, it'll be a tough road to get a promotion or raise. You have to continually market yourself and network within the company. If you don't have upper mgmt visibility forget any raise. It's very competitive.

5. Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Business Administrator in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Business Administrator in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

It was a great company and you can work from home.

Cons

Working in an open environment.

Advice to Management

The Management team I worked with was great.

6. Product Management

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership. Obviously !! New leadership seems to be re-energising the company. Good work being done to address commoditization of the business

Cons

very political. Leadership is coterie-based. Headcount restructuring is done annually.

Advice to Management

COmmunicate clearly and introduce transparency in decision-making

7. Network Consulting Engineer IV

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

unlimited training resources and opportunities to grow your technical knowledge. Relatively small managed groups, and open management team (typically) encourage open dialog.

Cons

organization of information is sometimes weak, so it's difficult to gain knowledge from the experiences of other engineers and team members. Tools to support customers are not well developed so there is a lot of manual labor for things you would expect to be automated.

8. Cisco Review

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Leverages market leadership and broad portfolio to sell solutions vs. point products. -Brand provides credibility in executive suite across multiple functions within a business -Above average pay and benefits -Overall good people work at Cisco who care about customers, their work, and each other

Cons

-Stock price not growing as fast as it did earlier in Cisco's history

Advice to Management

-be the disruptor in the market you compete in

9. Software Engineer II

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Good work environment and culture

Cons

Open layout system and compact cubes

10. Cisco Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

New CEO and Exec mgmt are moving fast to pivot with cloud, software and services. Chuck and the leadership team will move the company to the top IT player in the world

Cons

May be shifting a little late but team is great that is in place. Cisco has a great portfolio and is fine tuning it

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum and drive value for our customers. The bottom line mentality of the company is great and they treat you with respect

11. Business Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Top of the industry technology Flexible schedule life work balance plenty of telecommuting positions

Cons

no known cons process is slow

Showing 6,037 of 6,554 reviews