Cisco Systems

5,419 Reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
3,747 Ratings

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 666 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 184 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 170 reviews)

More Highlights

Work Hard to Make a Difference, Play Hard to Reward Yourself, and Make a Lot of $$$...at Cisco

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

First of all, I am PROUD to work for Cisco Systems, as it is the leader in the high tech industry. Secondly, though all Cisco employees work very hard, we are all well compensated for our hard work. Cisco employees (from admins to sales) make an average of $130k per year. I am in sales, so if you are looking to run a business with the backing of a huge corporation, Cisco Systems is the place to be. The comany and management truly empowers their employees to reach success and grow with the company. At 24 years old, I make six figures and after less than 2 years in the field, I am already up for promotion. Stock options are great, beneftits are great, and the "work hard, play hard" mentality at Cisco makes it tremendously fun to work for this company!!

Cons

Though you pretty much set your own hours (nobody really breathing down your neck) the hours can tend to be long, if you are driven to succeed. Given everything is technology oriented, you can find yourself on your computer working long days into the late night and on weekends. You are required (and rightly compensated) to work whatever hours it takes to get the job done. If you can complete a task and be done by 4pm everyday...great. If you need to work until 10pm to get everything done that day, then that is what you must do. You are encouraged to take time off away from Cisco, but that can sometimes be hard for people that are as driven as I am to succeed and exceed expectations.

Continue inspiring and empowering employees in all capacities. Understand that even though we may not be using all of the programs/resources extended to us, we are finding new and innovative ways to run our piece of the pie as effectively as possible. Other than that, I really have no other criticism to message up to Senior Management.

Great Company. Great people.

Former Employee - Bus Dev in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Bus Dev in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Great company and full of talented people. Great compensation and benefits. Everyone loves John Chambers and Gary Moore and SVP management is solid. Hard working but well rewarding.

Cons

It's getting to be a large company so politics are pretty much a part of the business. Starting to lose the difference between perception of and getting actual work done. Repeated layoffs have demoralized the employees. The company is going through the biggest transformation and it will be interesting to see if they succeed.

Find a way to motivate employees in after repeated lay offs. Figure out cloud strategy once and for all...from the inside it does not seem organized. Watch for politics...it's getting a bit much!

Thought I would retire there

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Want to be the #1 IT company in the world. They could do it.

Cons

When I started, it felt like a start up - could change on a dime. Moved like a sleek yacht. They have grown so large, they can't maneuver as quickly, but they think they can. It is not more like turning a super-sized freighter in a small harbor.

Cut the fat in the upper management levels. Listen to the front line team members. Disruption is a good thing when it has a purpose. Disruption for disruption's sake, without strong purpose, just generates frustration.

Supply Chain Program Manager

Former Employee - Supply Chain Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Solid company, good leadership, good salary, excellent investment and medical benefits. Excellent retirement plans.

Cons

stressful work environment, poor work life balance. Not always the best management of resources with the constant layoffs or reorganizations.

Awesome experience going through tough transitions

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Great work life balance
    Good,smart peers

Cons

Process Heavy
    Politics within higher management

Great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Support Engineer III in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible as far as work/life balance. Great work environment. No micro managing.

Cons

Certain depts. done offer a lot of permanent positions. Pay isn't great in SOME groups not all.

Offer people more permanent positions and don't treat some teams like it's a call center. We are engineers.

Great place to work

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Flexibility, diversity, challenge, traveling, experience

Cons

No specific cons to report here

Working for Cisco

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Working here is amazing, because there is a friendly environment. There are excellent benefits, and complete training. I would highly recommend working here.

Cons

If you start out as a contractor, it may take a long time to be able to move into a permanent position.

Great company

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

22 days of vacation per year, allows work from home, 100% 401K matching, great healthcare, good work-life balance, one of the best companies I have worked for.

Cons

Pay raises are difficult to obtain, promotions are difficult to obtain, layoffs are announced every year so there is the stress of wondering if you'll get RIFed.

Get back to the companies core business and try to focus more on quality of the products.

Software Engineer 3

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company, pioneer in Networking, Talent pool, work life balance

Cons

Politics, personal growth is not that high, depends on group you join.