Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,245 ratings)

4,537 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done"
    in 502 reviews
  • "work/life balance with possibility to work from home, supported by collaborating tools"
    in 280 reviews
Cons:
  • "work/life balance could use help esp working across geographic locations; office politics"
    in 153 reviews
  • "The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity"
    in 146 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Amazing Company to Work For

Software Engineer IV (Former Employee)
    Chennai (India)

ProsEffective Collaboration
    Amazing Product Management Team
    Love the Product Roadmap process and follow up
    Skillful Marketing
    Good HR practices

ConsNothing specific to be added in the Cons Section

Great experience, great development and rewarding under the right management team

Network Consulting Engineer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe freedom is performing you job, this includes the flexibility of working from home or any office and the responsibilities of time and expense management.

The company puts a lot of trust in you as an individual contributor.

The biggest plus are your coworkers and the support you receive and contribute to them.

ConsIf you are unfortunate with a poor manager that you report to can make the job a challenge, but you can meet him/her prior to taking a position reporting to him/her.

The raises and promotions are a bit too few and too far apart, but the ability to work from home saves on many expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right talent, trust that talent (do not micro manage) and reward results.

Foster the team relationship, as it is one of the most valuable pro's to the job.

CSE Flexibility

Consulting Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsTime off, Flexible schedule, Own my schedule - take care of the customer, Pay is better than most other companies that you WANT to work for.

ConsPromotions are slow to get. If your outstand at another company, you really need to work to be outstanding at Cisco

Advice to Senior ManagementMore raises to keep up with inflation

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great Technical Leaders

Software Engineer II (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsCisco's TLs will floor you with their humility despite the wealth of knowledge and insight they carry. For a Grade 4-6, the learning can be phenomenal if tuned properly. John Chambers is an amazing CEO - such a great visionary. He has lead Cisco steadfast through difficult times and given focus/resources to the right areas to solve Customer problems.

ConsExecution maybe ? Given the size of Cisco, it is hard to disagree that things move relatively slower at Cisco than at other smaller companies in the same domain. It can get annoying to a Cisco employee when "spin-ins" are funded despite the treasure trove of technical expertise and ability to execute within. Fixing this malaise could potentially work wonders!

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think management needs encouragement. Just to add onto what I have observed - Personal growth is slow, but there is certainly a recognition for good work.

decent company

Prosgood work and environment.

Consfrequent layoffs.. lack of budget

Flexible working conditions with good career opportunities.

Client Services Manager, GSP (Current Employee)
    Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

ProsFlexible hours, good career opportunities for anyone that has the drive and willingness to excel. If you manage your accounts in cooperation with the AM you have all possibilities to make some fantastic deals and money :)

ConsYou need to be self driven and have a good network to be able to get good results. Workload varies from Q to Q, you need to be able to savor the slow periods so that you can cope with the crazy ones, 50-60 hours per week is an average.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvancement to Senior Client Services Manager should be a possibility.

A wonderful company!

Process Analyst (Former Employee)
    North Sydney (Australia)

Pros- flexible working hours and locations.
    - training
    - interaction globally with peers
    - pragmatic and supportive work environment

Cons- none. I even liked the day long teleconferences on NY time :)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. It was a pleasure to work for you!

software engineer

Prosgreat place to work
    supportive of rotating jobs. Endorses working from home which makes balancing work and life easier to do.

ConsMany long timers, which helps keep the culture but limits promotions for people and new ideas.

software engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

Proslots of talented people to work with

Consnot challenging enough , newer projects are given only to the senior members

Perfect employer

AREA SALES MANAGER (Former Employee)
    Kiev (Ukraine)

ProsGreat innovative approach and ability to cross the chasm in a quick way

ConsDifferent style of business conduct in different countries

Advice to Senior ManagementMore stress to services instead of products

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cisco Systems CEO John T. Chambers . All 4,537 reviews posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees.