Cisco Systems Reviews

6,284 Employee Reviews

1. Great jobs at Cisco and ways to move up

Current Employee - Web Developer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in San Jose, CA

Pros

The ability to move up.

Cons

The consulting job isn't enough benefits.

Advice to Management

The vision and steps that Cisco are going are what I have vision for the future. I'm glad a lot of the management team are seeing the Vision the same way as their employee.

2. Cisco is THE VERY BEST and #1 Company to work for

Current Employee - Integrated Marketing Communications Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Integrated Marketing Communications Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco offers tremendous career and growth opportunities and a very collaborative environment. John Chamber's strong leadership fosters innovation and is also reflected by Sr. Management. It is exciting to work for a company that has been financially stable and has been extremely successful and growing for the past decade. Cisco also employs some of the smartest people and working here offers the opportunity to meet them and widen one's own horizon. There are an unlimited number of ways to engage yourself in initiatives and programs either within or even outside the work environment such as Green Initiatives, Volunteer activities and other community services. In summary, I think Cisco is the very best place to work for in today's high-tech industry due to its technology and market leadership, innovation and strong brand.

Cons

Due to its collaborative environment, there are generally too many meetings one has to attend during the day which makes it challenging to find enough time to get the actual work done and being productive. In addition, Cisco is a workplace that requires constant availability through being always connected to email, IM, smartphones etc. which leads to an extremely high level of disruption. Decision making processes can take quite a while because so many people across all different organizations and theatres need to be involved. Another challenge is prioritization of projects as there are often too many for one person to handle.

Advice to Management

If there was a way to cut back on planning and status meetings and allow more time for productivity that would be great.

3. Cisco Rocks Much More Than Not

Current Employee - Senior Integrated Marketing Communications Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Flexibility, Working with other smart people, stable company, caring company, opportunities to learn new things, opportunity to move around to get broader business experience, good benefits - especially the 401k matching, tuition reimbursement, work for an industry leader and visionary, great brand,

Cons

if you don't set your boundaries this place will take everything you are willing to give it, increasing costs of medical benefits, not enough training and expectations for people managers in regards to their people management skills.

Advice to Management

Teach people how to advance their careers - not just at the superficial/fake story level. Honestly, the reason people get promotions are not just because they are talented and do a good job but because they know how to gain recognition for their work (and don't rely on managers) visibility up and across the management chain. Oh and there is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time.

5. 5 reasons why cisco employees are smiling

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

flexibility in work schedule, an actual career path and planning ensures growth, as an employee you can take advantage of all the programs, interest groups, organizations whose operations range from the larger corporate culture to a very personal level of your team -- given the opportunity to hone your development experience within a well managed process. no matter what stage you are at in your career, you will always find yourself learning from someone - or you'll find bright, freshness, and motivation of youth that could use the mentoring of an experienced professional. you can really live the 9-5 life and be fine, or if your bursting with that 'start-up' spirit, management will not hesitate to compensate and recognize your efforts.

Cons

pay - known and admittedly so that top dollar isn't paid to it's employees.

Advice to Management

experience goes a long way -- sometimes that can work against the new comers.

6. Cisco Systems Employee Feedback

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Professional Growth, Career Advancement, Job Security, Good Pay

Cons

just like any other big company, can't get big fast. Gotta go through the normal path of growth.

Advice to Management

keep it up

7. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Blue chip company with entrepreneur spirit

Cons

Large corporation = bureaucracy and top side heavy

Advice to Management

Senior management is doing fine.

8. Cisco Systems - A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in San Jose, CA

Pros

Flexible time and there is no permission needed if you want to work from home sometimes on an ad hoc time. All you need to do is send an email to your group in the morning that you are "WFH" (working from home) and how you can be contacted. There are so many resources available for professional development. There is support for mentoring programs. The work is challenging and fun. Individual work goals are decided based on department goals, which are in turn decided based on goals trickling down from the topmost level. The management is great and there is no micro-management. The people are great to work with. Really, what else does one want in an employer? Oh yeah... the benefits and compensation are among the best in the industry.

Cons

Really, I cannot think of much that is wrong with Cisco. My manager could be somewhat more appreciative of a job well done, and also have some more 1-1 time; but you cannot draw any conclusions from that because my previous manager - the only other manager that I have had at Cisco - was superb at keeping the communication lines open. I never wondered about what he thinks of me & my work because he would give feedback, positive or negative, on such a continuous basis. Another thing is that Cisco does not throw as many lavish parties or have celebrations like AOL (my previous employer) did, but I would rather have my employer be frugal, make profits and keep me employed than make losses due to extravagance and have to lay me off, which is what AOL had to do.

Advice to Management

I would tell them that their efforts at communicating with employees, motivating and developing them through various means is noticed and appreciated.

9. Cisco Systems: An in-depth review of how Cisco is changing the way we work for corporate business

Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Hardware Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

There are many good reasons to work for Cisco Systems. In my opinion, the best reason to work for Cisco Systems is the technology you get to work with as an employee. The breadth and impact the technologies Cisco Systems has to offer to the communities and socienties Cisco serves is enormous. To have a direct hand in the hardware, software, and business processes that Cisco provides for its customers, knowing the impact you're having, is extremely satisfying. Other great reasons to work for Cisco is the location. Cisco's campus is right in the heart of Silicon Valley, where business and technology expands at the speed of human involvement and communication. To opportunities are great for those who are ready for them.

Cons

There are very few downsides of working at Cisco Systems. One particular downside is the very large scale of Cisco's business. Communication between different business units, and venturing through Cisco's intranet can sometimes be challenging. However, with increased knowledge of the different services available on the intranet, as well as constructing a vast network of colleges within Cisco will make navigating the intranet as well as navigating the Org charts much more manageable. One further downside to Cisco, particularly in San Jose, is the immense cost of living. Once you get over the initial price tag shock, you'll be just fine. Plus Cisco helps to compensate for the cost of living with your salary.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that Senior Management continue to make efforts to create opportunity for collaboration within Cisco Systems, as well as to continue the focus of bringing Web 2.0 technologies into our workplace, where we can continue to make business contributions and solutions for our customers from within our own company.

Work Hard to Make a Difference, Play Hard to Reward Yourself, and Make a Lot of $$$...at Cisco

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Albany, NY

Pros

First of all, I am PROUD to work for Cisco Systems, as it is the leader in the high tech industry. Secondly, though all Cisco employees work very hard, we are all well compensated for our hard work. Cisco employees (from admins to sales) make an average of $130k per year. I am in sales, so if you are looking to run a business with the backing of a huge corporation, Cisco Systems is the place to be. The comany and management truly empowers their employees to reach success and grow with the company. At 24 years old, I make six figures and after less than 2 years in the field, I am already up for promotion. Stock options are great, beneftits are great, and the "work hard, play hard" mentality at Cisco makes it tremendously fun to work for this company!!

Cons

Though you pretty much set your own hours (nobody really breathing down your neck) the hours can tend to be long, if you are driven to succeed. Given everything is technology oriented, you can find yourself on your computer working long days into the late night and on weekends. You are required (and rightly compensated) to work whatever hours it takes to get the job done. If you can complete a task and be done by 4pm everyday...great. If you need to work until 10pm to get everything done that day, then that is what you must do. You are encouraged to take time off away from Cisco, but that can sometimes be hard for people that are as driven as I am to succeed and exceed expectations.

Advice to Management

Continue inspiring and empowering employees in all capacities. Understand that even though we may not be using all of the programs/resources extended to us, we are finding new and innovative ways to run our piece of the pie as effectively as possible. Other than that, I really have no other criticism to message up to Senior Management.

11. Great place to work, working from home is the reason I stay.

Current Employee - Product Security Incident Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Product Security Incident Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Allow you to work from home, great benefits package, flexible hours and locations. In particular, as a single mom working from home allows me to still spend time with my daughter and interact heavily with my nanny to ensure my daughter is being raised right. I also like the opportunities under my current management chain for growth and success.

Cons

Competitive environment, high expectations, travel, long hours. These are rare compared to the everyday benefits though.

Advice to Management

Let more people work from home full time, it's a great benefit. Be a bit more persistent in our corporate and product direction, less changes every year.

Showing 6,284 of 6,843 reviews