Cisco Systems

www.cisco.com
Employer Engaged

Amazing company

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Great work/life balance; superior compensation

Cons

Far away from head office; hard to get visibility for promotions;

Model the behaviours Cisco espouses.

Software Developer

Current Employee - Raspberrry Think Tank in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Raspberrry Think Tank in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

I loved the culture and work environment. I had a wonderful time at the company

Cons

Budgets, a lack of direction. Mis management

The company is already conservative in personality. Take some risks. The game has changed and developing tools to manage social media is where its at. Spend more time hiring people in the United States rather than replacing a person with 3 people over seas.

Great Company for Engineers

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Boxborough, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Boxborough, MA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cisco is great, period. You will work with the best engineers and managers the world has to offer. Cisco brings several classes to their campuses, which gives employees great opportunity to develop breadth and depth of their skills. As an engineer, they provided free python training at three different levels! The work is tough, but rewarding; you will create thought-leading products that will be used worldwide. Cisco is a prestigious company, and you will continue to improve yourself during your tenure. Drink the kool aid and you will go far! You can achieve decent salary and bonus increases without making lateral transitions. I do recommend switching business units every few years.

Cons

Tough but not impossible work life balance. As an engineer you need to stay agile and at the top of your rank to avoid layoffs. However, good work will get you far!

Continue what you are doing! Some of my best memories come from working at Cisco, and I still speak proudly of my stay there.

It could be better, it could be worse.

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Easy to move between organizations, work-life balance is good, flexibility in working from home is great

Cons

Been a contractor for 6 years. Job stability has never been an issue for me, but the division between red badges (contractors) and blue badges (perm) is frustrating. Red badges don't receive the same training, communications, or opportunities, except that we have the same exact job role as blue badges.

If half your team are contractors, do something about it and make them feel valued otherwise you will continue to lose them.

Good company to work with

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

not much micro management comparatively

Cons

no transparency in appraisal process

please look into the core job performance with more importance and not just what has been done extra.

Better than many large companies

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Cisco is fairly friendly to working from home (I do so at least once a week; we have quite a few full-time remote workers). While changing any large company is like turning a big ship, Cisco seems more nimble than most (I've worked at one other very large IT company, and Cisco is more nimble than that one, and generally a nicer place to work). Cisco really tries to be a great place to work. It doesn't always succeed at that, but is never worse than decent. Work/life balance is pretty good. I hear horror stories from people about the lack of that; I don't hear those at Cisco.

Cons

Bad coffee, infrequent raises, middle-of-the-road salary and benefits, and we've had a lot of rounds of layoffs in the last 5 years or so.

Pay more, obviously :-) I've been with Cisco quite a while, now, and my salary has not kept pace with inflation over that time (I checked). If I were not a good employee, I would be understanding of that, but my performance has never been rated less than Strong, and is often higher. I'd love to know what it feels like to get annual merit raises. I don't, and AFAIK I don't know anyone who does.

OK, it's true that I (probably) won't quit if you don't; I'm at a point in my career where I would prefer to finish it out at Cisco and retire in 15 years; OTOH, if I changed employers (which wouldn't be hard; I fend off recruiters pretty regularly, and have two good friends at Google), I could retire in 10 based on the salary bump I'd get out of it.

Monotonous

Former Employee - Software Developer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Cisco Systems

Pros

Flexible timings, Good office, Facilities, free coffee

Cons

Compensation in India is less

Give more interesting work to freshers

Solid Company

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to work remotely enables a lot of flexibility. Company prides itself on flexible work arrangements to ensure work life balance can be fostered. training opportunities are awesome. If there is an interest to develop one self, company has many certifications and programs to be trained on internally.

Cons

VERY difficult to move around. Company prefer to fill open requisitions with external talent versus considering internals so extremely competitive when interviewing for positions here. It's really about who you know when trying to find another role within the company.

Please consider internal talent for open requisitions before hiring outside. Internal folks deserve an opportunity given the loyalty and commitment they've shown Cisco over the years and should have the edge with experience in products, culture, etc.

Good for experienced people, for freshers depends on team...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life-balance, good infrastructure and work environment, decent salary.

Cons

some BU's lack vision and frequent changes in higher management and also job is not secure if your BU is not doing good.

Big company going through transitions

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Overall a well managed company with what is still a strong franchise in the profitable area of networking equipment, though in recent years it has gone through periods of turmoil as it tries to find the right approach to expanding outside its core areas of technology and sales.

Cons

Transition the company is going through has led to significant changes in organization and people. Every year the company announces strong earnings coupled with another round of layoffs.