Cisco Systems

3.5 4,636 reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,311 ratings)

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done (in 534 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 161 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity (in 149 reviews)

More Highlights
4,636 Employee Reviews

Project Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Work Life Balance for me

ConsI was only a contractor

Very good company to work for.

Technical Leader I (Current Employee) Boxborough, MA

ProsPlenty of opportunity to work. Good pay.

ConsMotivation lacking. Company needs more young crowds which is a bit struggle to keep them for a long.

Reward & Recognition

Senior Business Operations Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat company in regards to benefits, pay and personal development that leads to a challenging and satisfying experience. Ethics and business transparency induce pride in being part of this company, A great culture of being part of society and understanding and accepting the responsibility that goes along with that.

ConsIt's a tough environment in which to work and succeed as 'status quo' doesn't really exist. Salaries are commensurate or even at the higher end of the industry; promotions to the next grade level may appear slow (only so much room at the higher pay grades ) but pay raises are fair and bonuses and stock rewards are icing on the cake. Cisco has visionary leadership and adjusts leadership roles (and sometimes personnel) to ensure the right person for the right role to meet new challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain transparency with the investment community, shareholders, and employees as Cisco. Cisco is seen less as a growth company and more as a value company so shareholders are looking to better understand their ROI. That can only be achieved through clear conveyance of the aspirations and direction of Cisco in the marketplace.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosa lot of chance to learn.

Consno free lunch. everything else is OK.

Money is relatively low for experience / CERT-level, but job is low pressure and MgmT is awesome

NCE (Current Employee) Iselin, NJ

Proswork from home, life-work balance--you cannot beat it. That is major reason why I will not leave. Who wants a 2 hour commute--even if pay is 200k? Forget that! Managers are cool as well, for the most part. Engineering talent is top-notch. Also, its easy to get training.

Conseasy to get lazy. Time-off policy is extremely flexible.

Advice to Senior Managementstop constantly restructuring--and quell RIF rumors

A whirlwind of activity with interesting projects, but where direction changes often.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsHave completed a lot of interesting projects, and where more are on the road map.
    Excellent training is readily available.
    The people are friendly and smart!
    Organizations are nimble.
    Opportunities are available to change groups.

ConsPriorities change frequently causing many projects to be either shelved or derailed.
    An increasing dependency on offshore contractors as local workforce is shrinking due to attrition.
    Working on projects across time zones is becoming increasingly difficult.
    Changes are not communicated well, or sometimes not-at-all.
    Difficult to promote.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent regarding changes.
    Hire more local engineers!
    Break project teams up into timezones (as much as possible)!

It's got great folks that work hard to make meaningful things happen.

ProsSmart people. In earnest. Generally, good ethics & lots of passion. Like anyplace, you have to seek our opportunities for yourself...and, you can find it.

ConsIntense. Relentless. Dynamic. Never, ever stops.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet flatter...too much in the middle.

Cisco a great place to work

Technical Sales Intern (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsA lot of exposure to new technologies; team collaboration but given significant responsibilities. Internship timings and culture is very flexible.

ConsThere is limited upward mobility in the company as an employee. Often times, there is not much guidance and you are left to figure things out by yourself.

Cisco has great people to work with

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat benefits, fair salaries, loads of internal job opportunities

ConsVery political company with many silos

CSE Flexibility

Consulting Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsTime off, Flexible schedule, Own my schedule - take care of the customer, Pay is better than most other companies that you WANT to work for.

ConsPromotions are slow to get. If your outstand at another company, you really need to work to be outstanding at Cisco

Advice to Senior ManagementMore raises to keep up with inflation

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!