Cisco Systems Reviews

Reset

1. It all depends on where you work

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

the benefits and perks are good, especially work at home technology the pay is still above average about half the people are great -- smart team players who do the right thing some units are very good places to learn and advance

Cons

too many meetings where people waste time talking about work and not doing it some groups are petty and political, and if you are in one of those, it can be a constant struggle to stay in the loop some executives are incompetent often different teams are given the same job in blind competition == wasted effort

Advice to Management

try to get back to the old corporate culture

2. Workig with the best and brightest in the industry, a blessing and a curse.

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Richardson, TX

Pros

employee empowerment. work areas, and employee benefits. Very open minded in hiring practicies, laid back approach to corporate polices, no dress codes, free sodas, jucie, tea, coffee and popcorn. working with cutting edge technology, and the opertunity to work with some of the sharpest people in the industry.

Cons

Long work hours needed to compete with peers. Tough policy of maintaining the top 10%, their is constant pressure to manage out the bottom 5% performers, as there will always be a bottom 5%, there is constant pressure to stay on top of your game. Cisco sells the company ownership package to argue lower salaries.

Advice to Management

better work/life balence, and the need to compete with higher salaries.

3. Great Company with many talents and opportunities, but too top heavy

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Jose, CA

Pros

Lots of opportunities and easy to move around to try new and interesting positions

Cons

There are simply too many levels of management

Advice to Management

Flaten the organization and elimnate excess powerpoint slides focus more on execution and speed to market

5. great work culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

career opportunities are execellent. great work culture

Cons

benefits and compensation could definitely be better

Advice to Management

cut back on red tape. Too much process kills creativity

6. Not a bad place overall, but evaluate what is in it for you.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco is an Industry Leader in so many categories. It has a great brand name. There are immense learning opportunities. It may be a very good employer especially when starting out fresh in your career. The executive management does a very good job communicating to all employees the direction and strategy of the company. There is a awesome benefits package with gymns and other health benefits. There are incentive programs to promote innovation and out of the box thinking. The company also supports employee development by reimbursing tuition fees. They also have a dedicated facility to train employees in various skills.

Cons

It appears to be an overcrowded place. It appears that the pie is too small and too many people are trying to get a piece of it. This creates lot of bad blood among employees. Employees are competing with each other and often conspiring against each other instead of working together as a team to stay ahead of competition from industry peers. The engineering management would get better results if they spent some time in people management. While the company support career development initiatives, the opportunities are too few and rare even though you may have the skills needed for the job. Engineering promotions below a certain level are not announced, but silently updated in the directory - doesn't help transparency.

Advice to Management

healthy competition among employees is good, but beyond that cisco needs its employees to work as a team in order to stay a leader.

7. Cisco Review

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great benefits and great flexibility. Exciting challenges.

Cons

Was not given much direction in terms of work. The atmosphere was very quiet and as a new grad, it was rather too lonely for me.

Advice to Management

Interns need to be provided with some sort of guidance. At times, I felt I was just there to do nothing and typically had to go and attempt something on my own. I was not even sure if I was doing what I'm supposed to be doing and was pretty much coding aimlessly.

8. Cisco is a good place to work

Current Employee - Technical Leader I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Leader I in Austin, TX

Pros

The pay and people are excellent.

Cons

Long hours, boring work, no state of the art software. Software engineers live in cube land. Senior managment really doesn't seem to know where they are going.

Advice to Management

Move into the 21 century software development wise. Use C++ not C, use design methodologies. Use existing operating systems.

9. Great place to retire

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Cisco is a great place to retire

Cons

There are a lot of employees just hanging around and collecting a check.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the fat and you can be much more efficient.

Great Work Life balance

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great Work-Life balance. Very collaborative work environment. Plenty of opportunities for internal job transfers. Opportunities to learn many COTS and in house developed applications and processes. Great encouragement to the employees from the management for learning courses that contribute to career development, professional and personal growth. Employees in general take pride in working for Cisco and show belongingness to the company. Brand name is easily recognized through out the globe.

Cons

Too big a company, with many processes. Formal knowledge transition and standardised onboarding processes almost non existent or differ greatly across various organizations. More than one person/team working on the same task without each other's knowledge.

Advice to Management

Focus on recognising the hard working employees than those who make just noise and no measurable results with ROI.

If you don't like startup environment, cisco is the one you gotta pick up.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Jose, CA

Pros

I was hired by Cisco choice program, in which new hires can choose their teams based on how they like to work or who to work for. Since most teams need more people, managers squeeze their brains to attract the new hires into their team. Before the new hires choose their teams, they are exposed to most information about projects and benefits or drawbacks of each team which is tipped by managers, who pamper the new hires badly (I thought I'm the king of cisco during the period - once I chose my team, my heyday was over..). This is an example of cisco how this company tries to lay out best environment for their employees.

Cons

The largest problem in cisco is its size. It is a big guy, which means its decision making process is very slow. Officially my reporting structure is not that complicated; manager, general manager, director, and VP (there are more, but in my position, I doubt that I can see anyone of them). But there are also inofficial small team structures here as well and of course some politics. Thus in order for me to convey my idea and make it adopted by my team, do you know how many people I have to convince?

Advice to Management

I used to work for a startup and know how fast they are moving on. Cisco doesn't have to move like that since it has its name and money and human resources. However, at least it needs to speed up a little in its overall progress for projects, but large team size may be one of biggest obstacles. Make it small and move agile.

RSS Feed </> Embed