Cisco Systems

3.5 4,639 reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,313 ratings)

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done (in 534 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 161 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity (in 149 reviews)

More Highlights
4,639 Employee Reviews

Systems Integration Engineer

Systems Integration Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosnever a lacking a challenge and room to grow both personally and professionally. Training is abundant but timing is sometimes an issue.

ConsSeem that the workforce within the US is shifting from Engineering to Project Management, and sending the Engineering job offsite and out of country.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo management heavy, too quickly to promote people to management to keep headcount, have poor mentoring program for new managers, too much top down re-org

Great times, however slowly dulling down

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslots of tools and sales support

ConsManagement treat you like a number - if things aren't going your way you can be left on your own,

Advice to Senior Managementlook after your people

Good

Senior TME (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsInnovative
    Large
    Work Life balance
    Flexible
    local

This is a large company and brings its own bag of goods and bad

ConsToo Big
    Slow
    Personal Domains
    Individual Agendas over company

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst Company ever

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsNot many that I can think of. I work in Data center business Unit. Not sure about other business units.

ConsPolitics..politics..politics...if you are a good politician, you are in the right place. Very slow place for growth. Too many managers for few software engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts the engineers who do the work. Need attention to benefits and proper compensation.

Good Culture - Bad Upper Management

Program Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat place to learn
    Good environment with no egos if you're not dealing with upper management.
    Good flexibility for work life balance
    Generally calm culture

ConsUpper management doesn't realize they manage employees
    No communication - especially stressful during times of repeated layoffs.
    Even if BU is outperforming others, always fearful of loosing job
    Low compensation
    Flexibility comes at the price of working ALL day and night
    Leader in networking industry, but culture of reactivity creeping in due to fear of competition, as opposed to healthy competition within a market

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter next round of layoffs, please align your entire BUs to their roadmap objectives and stick to your headcount

Good Work Life Balance

ProsVery flexible, good work life balance

ConsI don't really care for the open work space, keep the cubes!

Excellent place to work and collaborate with your peers.

Systems Engineer III (Former Employee)

Prosthe atmosphere of the company, the access to training and career paths

ConsThe travel frequency and work with different time zones.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is very mature, just maintain Cisco as a Leader no matters what happens in terms of technology in other areas.

Enjoy working there!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Boxboro, MA

ProsCisco offers Great benefit and the location is good. Great work life balance. Nice personal growth spaces. Nice leadership teams. Nice culture.

ConsWe have way too Many re-orgs. We have too many processes... We have complicated annual review processes... Sometimes the layoffs or re-org's are not expected.

It is a good company

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prossmart people, work hard, good mobility to move around. Excellent benefits. Work with top companies in the world as customers.

Conspay is average. Cisco leadership is spotty in some places but rolling layoffs have helps get rid of most. Rolling layoffs are not great but are needed to weed out bottom 5%.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more to the front line folks

Cisco is proactively evolving and staying relevant to our customers in an ever-changing technology landscape.

Director (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- Smart, experienced, and engaged employees with a good balance of long tenured and newer employees
    - At the center of many of the key technology trends for broad exposure
    - Proactively evolving and transforming for business relevancy and impact
    - Great work life balance that leverages Cisco collaboration technology to provide work location flexibility
    - Lots of opportunities to work in new roles / areas

Cons- Large matrix organization, requires a learning curve and relationship development to successfully navigate
    - Ongoing change is not for everyone, can be challenge for some folks who like a steady state
    - Limited leadership development / rotational programs, requires proactive self-solutioning

Advice to Senior Management- As the company continues to make the hard tradeoffs to drive long term success, focus on ways to keep the organization's eye on the prize
    - Identify ways to provide more promotion velocity at certain key levels
    - Provide more leadership development training opportunities, especially externally based programs

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!