Cisco Systems

3.5 4,628 reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,304 ratings)

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done (in 534 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 161 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity (in 149 reviews)

More Highlights
4,628 Employee Reviews

Decent stable large company - corporate leaders are excellent

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat Work Life balance. Professional and polite mostly

ConsLack of diversity. Talent rarely sticks around.

Getting started because at that time Cisco expended new hires to hit the ground running.

Global Account Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI made lots of money. There is a great amount of travel.

ConsNo direction from management and do everything yourself. Technical supports is ether very good or nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because a guy makes his numbers please don't use that as the determining factor for making that person a manager. Sometimes people are just lucky with falling into great buying accounts.

Pay scale was bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people around
    Good work life balance

ConsSalaries not in par with rest of the market

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A sweatshop; work/life balance is 100% work no life.

Consulting Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsYou get to work on cool technology but it comes at a huge price. Despite the 20-word minimum, it is extremely difficult to come up with 20 positive words to describe this hellhole.

ConsThere is no work/life balance. Cisco is like the Borg. You are assimilated into a culture of work at a sweatshop pace. Those who do their 40 and met all job expectations are "managed out of the business." First level managers are promoted based on who they know. Supervisors lack management experience and management philosophy changes every time the wind blows. Lots of back-stabbing SE managers who only look out for #1. Constant morale improvement efforts (mandatory fun). Morale is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire experience managers who listen to their staff

Chambers needs to go

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsStrong teaming environment regarding collaboration. Lots of technology at your fingertips and open to working remotely/at a distance.

ConsNo one lifts a finger unless they are compensated on it - and there are a lot of 'grey areas' where people aren't paid on things - so use your power of persuasion to ask for help. You can absolutely fall victim of your own success and middle mgmt will not easily allow you to promote out if you are a solid performer on their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementChambers, you had a good run - time to go. You are out of touch and believe your own statements about yourself. You did NOT make that child speak for the first time after the China earthquake. you were awesome and had some good stats.....time to step down.

Becoming too much like an "Old School" company, going to loose talent to competition and "fun" and "Nimble" start-ups

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood pay and benefits for the work, decent benefits, global footprint and global leader in it's space (for now)

ConsLimited promotions or opportunities to advance. Nearly impossible to have lateral movement due to limits on req's. Constant cost cutting puts more work on all employees without de-prioritizing other area's. Every year IC's expected to do more with less. Upper management disconnected with the lower ranks, making a Managers job extremely difficult with limited tools to develop and motivate teams. While rewards is said to be based on performance, in actuality it is based purely on the "short term" and what was done for execs close to the performance review period and not on overall success factors and full year performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are becoming a culture of managing by spreadsheets and metrics and have lost the aspect of "fun". We have a broken performance review process, forcing everyone to worry about their own performance and not success as a team. Performance is not connect to Pulse and Manager feedback at all, and only on "execution at al costs". Too much bureaucracy and lack of focus to retain top talent. A true disappointment as we have fallen and lost our fun, energetic and working together culture that we had up until 2007.

Fast pace work place

Network Consulting Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWork with very talented people

ConsCrazy project schedule, not a true multicultural company (certain race domination).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake company direction more clear and visible

Long time employee, in the end, disappointing

Program Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsHealth benefits, on site daycare and healthcare.

ConsPoor Leadership, continuous cost cutting and culture erosion over time. Projects kick off but are rarely completed. Tons of outsourcing and laying off of people to rehire the same job in low cost areas. Way too much Power Point and too little leadership. People are promoted for managing up vs. enabling their teams and doing the right thing for Cisco and the customer. It is incredibly political and you don't know when or if you will be laid off if your not in with the right people. I finally quit after working there for over a decade.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people that put together power point presentations and talk, talk, talk. Promote innovators, true leaders that have integrity and will lead and mentor their teams. This poor management style has spread like a weed throughout the company, and it's just sad.

Great start, rough finish!!

Manager, Channel Ops (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPast reputation, customers, intellect of co-workers that are still there

ConsManagement is a bit unprepared for the market transition the company needs to undertake. Commodity driven businesses losing customers quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in experience vs bringing up the guys you keep looking out for year after year. It's busness, time to get some outside talent at the most senior levels

Great place, but getting a bit stale

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat people, solid technology, lots of budget

ConsLow-risk, slow, lots of political hurdles, often great ideas sit on the shelf in favor or tried and true with low ROI

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some chances if you want to win big... think "iPhone"

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!