Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done (in 534 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 161 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity (in 149 reviews)

More Highlights
20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHuge amount of resources
    Long term career opportunities are available
    Good compensation

ConsLimited to networking technology
    Promotions are a bit slow
    Bonuses are stingy compared to other large companies

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus on expanding to other technical areas (services, software)

Chambers needs to go

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsStrong teaming environment regarding collaboration. Lots of technology at your fingertips and open to working remotely/at a distance.

ConsNo one lifts a finger unless they are compensated on it - and there are a lot of 'grey areas' where people aren't paid on things - so use your power of persuasion to ask for help. You can absolutely fall victim of your own success and middle mgmt will not easily allow you to promote out if you are a solid performer on their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementChambers, you had a good run - time to go. You are out of touch and believe your own statements about yourself. You did NOT make that child speak for the first time after the China earthquake. you were awesome and had some good stats.....time to step down.

Poor. Turf wars galore.

Senior Manager Development (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsTraining. Breadth of possible positions and departments.

ConsDefending your opinions across silos.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Perfect employer

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCompany which is creating the world of technology

ConsToo many restrictions and procedures

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be more open to changes and realize specific of local markets

great

Consultant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosgreat place to meet other people for next career

Consmany of the managers are horrible

Advice to Senior Managementplese please develop friendly culture

Great place to work

Senior User Experience Designer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSince we own WebEx, I get to telecommute from San Francisco the majority of the time. The people I work with a extremely smart with very few jerks. There is a fantastic life/work balance and the benefits are excellent. The projects are very interesting and the impact your work has is global.

ConsThis is a very engineering driven company. There is a lot of lip-service given to the "importance of UE design" but the reality continues to fall waaaaayyyyyy short. There is not a design team approach- instead, individuals are assigned to products and become domain expert "slaves" as they become the expert on a product. This makes for very little movement in new work assignments. It is rare to be able to collaborate with fellow designers. Instead, you are usually the lone designer working with a single product manager (usually an ex-engineer) and a bunch of engineers. Cisco is still learning how to move from hardware-only to a more healthy mix of SaaS and hardware.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to invest in the creation of a true front-end programming team (located here in the USA, on the same floor as the UE and visual design team. They would work hand-in-hand with your UE and visual design teams to code the front-end pages so that hard-core engineers are not struggling to do so.

Great learning experience

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExposure to cutting edge thinking

ConsLess facetime with manager than is optimum

Operations Director

Operations Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSignificant transitions, not always well timed

ConsSignificant transitions, not always well timed, question relevance in new markets.. Beyond plumbing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeliver clear, concise mission, vision

Cisco Systems

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMany different areas of the business to choose to work
    The stock price can only go up
    Overall big effort to manage the satisfaction of the employees

ConsSilos and politics
    Lack of direction pushed down through the ranks
    IT group is overpowering

A very great place to work, it feels like a company that cares even though it is a large company

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAn excellent yearly review system that results in an impressive bonus. Management is accesible and each year you have an opportunity to have a lunch with the CEO (and many others with the same birthday of the month) and ask him a question if you want to. Egronimic services are available to customize your desk if that is what you need.

Consthere could be more effort to compete with the tech start ups in providing a more interesting workplace. The offices are a bit drab.

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!