Cisco Systems

5,320 Reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
3,702 Ratings

Pros
  • Cisco does a wonderful job of allowing its employees a superb work-life balance (in 666 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 369 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 184 reviews)

• If you want some short term real good big company experience it is a good place to be (in 170 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sales driven org, with Customer focus

Current Employee - Senior Network Consulting Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Network Consulting Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexible schedule, lot of smart people work here!

Cons

Some amount of politics between various internal orgs. Strategy not unified, multiple strategies pursued at the same time so does slow down the best solution. Partners competing in the same space is very confusing to end customers.

Fewer reorgs. Align strategy to fewer technologies

Bad sales culture and bad first-line managers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great education and training. Good benefits.

Cons

Culture is very office-specific and the Bellevue office was horrible. It looked like a white-men-only golf club full of rich, conservative, 50-somethings. If that doesn't describe you, be prepared for discrimination. I had bigoted coworkers target me with slander in the office and to my clients. I saw the same thing happen to others who didn't fit the mold.

Career advancement was minimal if you're not at HQ in San Jose and getting ahead usually involved pushing others down rather than elevating everyone. Avoid this office.

Take a serious look at the local culture in Bellevue.

Longevity

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The future is very bright.

Cons

Can feel to big to get stuff done.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work hard, play hard
    Recognize individual talent
    Hire smart people

Cons

Slow to adapt Agile development methods
    Focus more on enterprise than consumers
    Sale of Linksys was a bad call - they may have not generated as much revenue as other parts of company, but it was good for the company's overall reputation

Reconsider consumer focused business - it may not generate as much revenue as enterprise-focused opportunities but it offers an inexpensive way to keep the company in the hearts and minds of consumers.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good exposure to Cisco Products.

Cons

I did not like the management so much. May be it depends upon different BU`s.

NIL

Great for Enterprise, roller coaster for software or Consumer

Current Employee - Product Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Relaxed yet professional atmosphere. Strong focus on internal resources for career and knowledge growth.

Cons

As someone focused on consumer technologies I have seen multiple companies acquired and later shut down due to lack of understanding of how to merge them with Cisco's core business.

Focus.

Cisco is a company in transition ( for the better or worse...time will tell)

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A great company for many years with a healthy work/life balance. The company pays well with great benefits and all in all great people and great environment. Your life at Cisco can be the best experience of your working career but your life at Cisco is directly related to which division you work for. I would recommend anyone coming to Cisco to stay within their established strength core competencies and stay away from Cisco's new business ventures, as Cisco tends to drop these after a few years if they do not perform as expected taking the employees with it.

Cons

Company politics rather than flawless execution can be the order of the day with people spending more time on pointless conference calls and meetings then closing or developing business.The concept of employees acquiring wealth through stock is now long gone and employees are now just large company assets with a steady paycheck.

Cisco used to make fun of the Nortels and Lucents as these large companies unable to execute. While Nortel and Lucent are now names in the past, Cisco has now grown up and will become just like them unless you bring back the Cisco culture that got you here in the first place.

Cisco is a very volatile organization

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work environment, nice equipment, work from home options

Cons

Very volatile organization. My experience has not been good. I work in the field so I have no ties to corporate. The organization is very large and you become just a number. I've had the two worst bosses in my life. Very unprofessional and agressive.

Train your management. Just because they were good at their jobs at one point in time doesn't mean that makes them good managers. I would not recommend anyone to work here.

good company to work

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Good salary, Technical growth, Cisco name, work environments

Cons

I am consultant not too much involve in the company.

Good company to work for...but, seems to want to avoid transition to being a great one.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

- Good management. Much better people skills than most tech companies.
    - Executive leadership you can respect.
    - Good starting salaries, generous cash bonuses, good ESPP.
    - Stability, many employees make a career of working here through retirement; unique in this field.
    - By far the most accepting work environment for employees of diverse backgrounds; in my personal experience (comparing to Microsoft, Bank of America, Intel, Government, and some smaller techs.).

Cons

- Benefits are weak. Insurance portion you pay is higher than other are companies. No sick days.
    - Unlike most techs, stock awards and options are limited to a select few high-level folks.
    - 70's sweatshop work environment: cubicles, no offices. Bad for engineering; maybe ok for...??
    - Infrastructure is clunky. Patchwork of Oracle/Unix stuff from the '90, inefficient internal tools.
    - Cisco IT sucks (sounds mean, but I'm understating.) Product teams outsource for reliable IT.
    - Promotion path is fuzzy, many employees give up in frustration and advance through leaving.
    - 4 weeks PTO sounds good, but they force to use one for annual company shut-down, so it's really only 3. And, you get no sick days, so people tend to work when ill rather than blow the family vacation, which in turn infects more people. (Contrast with 2 sick weeks, all holidays, plus 5 weeks vacation for senior people at Microsoft and other companies.)

The cons are easily fixable, and it wouldn't cost that much to make Cisco as attractive to employees as the Facebooks, Amazons, Googles, Microsofts, etc. that been siphoning off some of our prime talent. Please make the investment to take us from good, to a great workplace.