Cisco Systems Reviews in Seattle, WA

4,999 Reviews

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers
John T. Chambers
3,591 Ratings

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (for most) with plenty of tools to help get that done (in 534 reviews)

• It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire (in 301 reviews)

Cons
  • No part-time options for professionals wanting work-life balance while raising a family (in 161 reviews)

• The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity (in 149 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Longevity

Current Employee - Engagement Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The future is very bright.

Cons

Can feel to big to get stuff done.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work hard, play hard
    Recognize individual talent
    Hire smart people

Cons

Slow to adapt Agile development methods
    Focus more on enterprise than consumers
    Sale of Linksys was a bad call - they may have not generated as much revenue as other parts of company, but it was good for the company's overall reputation

Reconsider consumer focused business - it may not generate as much revenue as enterprise-focused opportunities but it offers an inexpensive way to keep the company in the hearts and minds of consumers.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cisco Systems as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good exposure to Cisco Products.

Cons

I did not like the management so much. May be it depends upon different BU`s.

NIL

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for Enterprise, roller coaster for software or Consumer

Current Employee - Product Management  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits. Relaxed yet professional atmosphere. Strong focus on internal resources for career and knowledge growth.

Cons

As someone focused on consumer technologies I have seen multiple companies acquired and later shut down due to lack of understanding of how to merge them with Cisco's core business.

Focus.

Cisco is a company in transition ( for the better or worse...time will tell)

Current Employee - Sales  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A great company for many years with a healthy work/life balance. The company pays well with great benefits and all in all great people and great environment. Your life at Cisco can be the best experience of your working career but your life at Cisco is directly related to which division you work for. I would recommend anyone coming to Cisco to stay within their established strength core competencies and stay away from Cisco's new business ventures, as Cisco tends to drop these after a few years if they do not perform as expected taking the employees with it.

Cons

Company politics rather than flawless execution can be the order of the day with people spending more time on pointless conference calls and meetings then closing or developing business.The concept of employees acquiring wealth through stock is now long gone and employees are now just large company assets with a steady paycheck.

Cisco used to make fun of the Nortels and Lucents as these large companies unable to execute. While Nortel and Lucent are now names in the past, Cisco has now grown up and will become just like them unless you bring back the Cisco culture that got you here in the first place.

Cisco is a very volatile organization

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent work environment, nice equipment, work from home options

Cons

Very volatile organization. My experience has not been good. I work in the field so I have no ties to corporate. The organization is very large and you become just a number. I've had the two worst bosses in my life. Very unprofessional and agressive.

Train your management. Just because they were good at their jobs at one point in time doesn't mean that makes them good managers. I would not recommend anyone to work here.

good company to work

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Good salary, Technical growth, Cisco name, work environments

Cons

I am consultant not too much involve in the company.

Good company to work for...but, seems to want to avoid transition to being a great one.

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

- Good management. Much better people skills than most tech companies.
    - Executive leadership you can respect.
    - Good starting salaries, generous cash bonuses, good ESPP.
    - Stability, many employees make a career of working here through retirement; unique in this field.
    - By far the most accepting work environment for employees of diverse backgrounds; in my personal experience (comparing to Microsoft, Bank of America, Intel, Government, and some smaller techs.).

Cons

- Benefits are weak. Insurance portion you pay is higher than other are companies. No sick days.
    - Unlike most techs, stock awards and options are limited to a select few high-level folks.
    - 70's sweatshop work environment: cubicles, no offices. Bad for engineering; maybe ok for...??
    - Infrastructure is clunky. Patchwork of Oracle/Unix stuff from the '90, inefficient internal tools.
    - Cisco IT sucks (sounds mean, but I'm understating.) Product teams outsource for reliable IT.
    - Promotion path is fuzzy, many employees give up in frustration and advance through leaving.
    - 4 weeks PTO sounds good, but they force to use one for annual company shut-down, so it's really only 3. And, you get no sick days, so people tend to work when ill rather than blow the family vacation, which in turn infects more people. (Contrast with 2 sick weeks, all holidays, plus 5 weeks vacation for senior people at Microsoft and other companies.)

The cons are easily fixable, and it wouldn't cost that much to make Cisco as attractive to employees as the Facebooks, Amazons, Googles, Microsofts, etc. that been siphoning off some of our prime talent. Please make the investment to take us from good, to a great workplace.

Cisco is a big place, but the top management team is great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

There is a lot of collaboration between different teams, there is good internal networking, although perhaps not as good as Microsoft. There is good communication with top level leadership and they are really trying to make career growth a priority for people.

Cons

It depends on the group, but some groups are better than others at communication, and those on the main campus (in Cali) are more respected and given more important roles than similarly qualified individuals offsite.

You are doing good, trying to make a concerted effort in providing more opportunities for your works and providing good bonus incentives.

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Network Consulting Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Cisco Systems

Pros

Lots of bright people to learn from
    Complete end-to-end IP product portfolio and very diversified product portfolio

Cons

- compensation is lacking behind its peers/competitors

N/A

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!