Cision

Updated December 22, 2014
2.9

Cision CEO Peter Granat
Peter Granat

Pros
  • Excellent culture, very solid work/life balance, company that is known in the PR space (in 11 reviews)

• Some people in Sales can work from home (others are not as fortunate) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero room for advancement, zero growth opportunities and a depressing work environment to top it all off (in 4 reviews)

• low pay, expect you to do task out of your position title and etc (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Production Technician

Current Employee - Production Technician in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Cision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This was in 2009 - I still argue that my manager was the best manager I ever had. Very supportive, even in an environment where there was no opportunity for growth. The health care was also fantastic. When I went into early labor at my desk the whole team rallied to finish my work for me for that day *we had a quota to fill.

Cons

I knew at the time there was not room for growth in the production department and they pay was just above living wage. My manager was clear about that, but if you don't have an awesome manager like I had, this is good to know.

Find somewhere else to work. No seriously.

I have been working at Cision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are awesome & the PTO time is good.

Cons

Lack of structured leadership. There is no room for substantial growth in Client Service department. Company values only the sales organization, and the recent acquisition has completely torn apart solid departments and caused low employee morale.

Appear more put together. Employees need a structure to lean on. Listen to your employees when they voice their unhappiness. They will not stick around.

Great people/atmosphere but lots of cons

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere with really friendly people, I made plenty of friends at Cision.
    Work/life balance is unbelievably great with a ton of PTO days and no long hours.

Cons

No room for growth, the company is essentially all sales people with a small management team.
    You're selling a mediocre software program that has constant tech issues, often leaving you to deal with many unhappy clients.
    Your success in sales can sometimes solely depend on luck. I saw great sales people do terrible at Cision and terrible sales people do great at Cision.

Invest more in the actual product, CisionPoint and your media monitoring solutions need a big time upgrade

Private Equity Killed The Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cision full-time

Pros

With the acquisition of Vocus, Gorkana, and Visible, Cision is now the undisputed market leader in online PR tools.

Cons

Greatly reduced opportunity for individual reps, unclear post-merger strategy, private-equity driven cost cutting practices already in effect.

A market leader is not a monopoly. Clients still have choices in the marketplace, and you will slowly lose market share unless you make it easier for clients to do business and price your products and services appropriately.

Sales Team Lacks Leadership

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent culture, very solid work/life balance, company that is known in the PR space. Training is great due in large part to the training team Cision brought on a few years ago. The company is always rolling out new products and enhancements so there are always opportunities to learn. Overall, the company is such a great place to work until you are someone that is cut due to the merger.

Cons

The morale in this department is at an all time low. Management sent out a survey monkey because there is so much dissatisfaction. Management tells want you want to hear to hook you, and then you crawl in the dog house if you ask for help. It is assumed you know what you're doing and there is such a lack of day-to-day assistance. There is never a manager walking the floor helping with contracts or building proposals. This department is all about how the senior members can turn a profit. No one in this department really enjoys coming in to work.

Upper management should really take a look at the reviews. The salespeople that were laid off were honest and on point with their reviews. Focus on your current talent and learn how to help them grow their confidence which will lead to higher sales.

Mediocre at best

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Cision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large international company with a strong name brand in the public relations industry.

Cons

Very little career growth opportunity. I was there for 6 years and received one promotion. They awarded it during the annual performance review and gave me the same 2% raise that everyone else in the company received. I made a case for a more competitive salary as their compensation is below industry average. It did not work so I left. Upon leaving they offered me a 15% raise which would of matched my other job offer. Their timing was horrible because the counter offer was almost two weeks after I put in my notice and the entire company already knew I was leaving. I did not want to be added to the list of well known cases who were promoted to stay. Some people have been there for decades and at first this looks good but in reality they are mediocre performers who do not care about advancement or worse, poor performers who have a found a place to hide where mediocrity is the norm.

Encourage and provide incentive for your top performers. Cut out the dead weight who bring down the rest.

Only good for a first job out of college

I have been working at Cision

Pros

Good PTO offering, sometimes relaxed environment, good location.

Cons

Poor communication between certain departments, poor direction given on orders and by supervisors. Managers are afraid to get rid of people that are not doing their jobs properly but will let go people who are. Very disconnected company with every department being spread out and behind closed doors. Hard to meet other people within company. Be prepared on your first day to get the nickel tour and spend all of your time at your desk. Pay structure is horrible, they don't show loyalty to employees. Workers tend to have second jobs just to make ends meet. Company will gladly give you 40 hours, but after that it's like pulling hens teeth to get OT when there still is plenty of work to do. Management is also afraid to come down on employees who constantly mess up or can't finish their assigned duties. Forget getting lunch breaks, they have a break room, but if your lunch time is at the same time as everyone else, you might as well eat at your desk and you better be done within the 30 minutes. Of course, each department gives a different time for lunches. You want to learn something new to make you more valuable, forget it. Either learn on your own or don't do it. Never had to deal with an issue for so long without any type of resolution on the horizon. Talk about a company that loves to drag its heels. Maybe with the merger coming up things will get better, but don't hold your breath. The Chicago Cubs have a better chance of winning a World Series before this company realizes they have good people that work there and need to get rid of some of the dead weight that is keeping this company weighed down. Also this company needs to wake up with the times and start to see that most companies are paying more for people that do less work more money.

Find a new job or wake up and smell what you are shoveling. Employees are leaving because they are sick of the BS.

Big revolving door of a company, watch out!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cision full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Benefits, great health insurance, 401k employee match, PTO, day of to volunteer
    -Conveniently located close to public transportation
    -Great training program

Cons

They have one of the worst commission plans I've ever seen! You won't get paid until your at least 50% to monthly goal but the goals they have are high therefore you can't make any money. Their sales department is comprised of all men in their mid-20's so you feel like your working in a frat house environment. No structure of sales territory so you are competing against your co workers for leads. They have a CRM system from the 1990s that is extremely outdated and constantly crashes so organizing yourself is a real struggle. They have a revolving door culture in the sales department makes you feel de-valued and replaceable.

Hire a new sales manager as the department is falling apart and needs a boost of morale. Change your commission structure so that your employees can actually make money and be happy. Stop mico-managing everyone as it creates a stressful work environment and is counter productive.

Politics dominate decisions, promotions, opportunities

I have been working at Cision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, good current and future location for Chicago staff.

Cons

In virtually every department, promotions and key assignments are based on politics. Promotions are not posted so somebody with skills and experience but not the personal connections doesn't get even a chance to apply. For one division, the division boss's smoking buddies are the only ones who get opportunities. In another, it's the people who spend face time chatting with managers, not the person at their desk doing their job. People get laid off and you don't find out until you call them for an update on a project and find out they're gone.

Be open and transparent. Post new openings and opportunities. People shouldn't have to be somebody's personal best buddy to get ahead.

There should be great opportunities with the merger with Vocus. Don't let personalities and favouritism get in the way.

Steer Clear!

Former Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that you work with (before they move on to bigger and better) are they best thing about the company.

Cons

Middle Management is full of people who worked at the company longest, rather than those who are actually qualified. Poor management leads to poor work environment which leads to unhappy employees.

Teams are constantly being cut and the client service team is expected to pick up their responsibilities yet they are not given any type of pay raise or incentive.

There is no upward mobility. Management continues to preach about "promotions" but in actuality there is no such thing as a promotion. One so called "promotion" does not even come with a pay raise. In Tier 3 you are expected to be a sitting duck and wait for someone to leave from the Tier 2 or Tier 1 team so you can move positions. Also, "promotions" are not based on who is best for the role, but usually are based on who threw the biggest fit or threatened to quit if they aren't promoted.

Pay is awful and you are payed well below the industry standard. Company is a revolving door.

Restructure the department or you are going to continue to lose good people. When you team comes to you with legitimate concerns about pay, upward mobility, workload, stress, etc.- LISTEN TO THEM!