Cision

Updated February 19, 2015
2.9

Cision CEO Peter Granat
Peter Granat

Pros
  • Excellent culture, very solid work/life balance, company that is known in the PR space (in 11 reviews)

• Some people in Sales can work from home (others are not as fortunate) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero room for advancement, zero growth opportunities and a depressing work environment to top it all off (in 4 reviews)

• low pay, expect you to do task out of your position title and etc (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Great Balance and Opportunity For Advancement

Current Employee - New Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - New Business Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong on-boarding process to allow you to hit the ground running, with ramp goals and an in-depth training program led by two excellent trainers.

The unique ability to work for the undisputed industry-leader enabling PR professional to streamline their entire process, you can rest confident in the solution you're selling. Brand recognition and feedback from clients confirms this.

Clearly defined goals and objectives; when exceeded are recognized accordingly and given the opportunity to advance, strongly disagree with reviews that say otherwise, if you perform and put in the effort, you're rewarded accordingly.

Uncapped commision, those in sales and complaining about salary fail to mention this.

Great culture, relaxed atmosphere with the mindset of if you work hard, you can play hard. Happy hours monthly, fun events coordinated and paid for by Cision quarterly.

Creativity is encouraged, fun people to work with in all departments.

As cliche as it sounds, I actually like coming into work everyday due to the environment, the cool team I have the opportunity to work with, and organization that has armed me with the essential tools to succeed and continue advancement within the organization and a business professional.

Management is real and has your best interest in mind, they take in and listen to feedback and do all they can to make suggested changes.

Soon to be new work-space looks absolutely awesome, roof deck over-looking lake Michigan...pop machine...the works...

Cons

While recent acquisitions are always tough, it was a bit rough as the dust settled, although management did an excellent job of hosting company-wide meeting to keep everyone on the same page, and are now kicking off the powerhouse in PR accordingly, with a paid trip to Miami for all sales personnel, I forgive you. :)

Processing of contracts process needs refinement, can sometimes be a bit delayed with unnecessary steps, but is currently being examined and being ironed-out.

Lost some good soldiers out there/people let go, but these were solely performance-based and an industry standard...feel as though many reviews on here are written by ex/disgruntled Cision employees and not a true assessment of the organization as a whole.

Base-pay could be higher, but hey, who doesn't want to be paid more...uncapped commision definitely helps, but a boost in base could warrant stronger recruits and a happier salesforce that inevitably would be happier and work even harder.

A media services company dressed up as a software company

I worked at Cision

Pros

A really fantastic platform that is capable of unifying media across all sources, in virtually any language.

Cons

Disjointed teams = poor execution and dissatisfied customers. How you act in times of trouble defines you. Catalog known issues and be transparent and accountable to your customers regarding how you stand on each of those issues - demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement.

Make outstanding customer service the core value of the organization and everything will fall into place.

Former Vocus (now Cision) employee

Former Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Cision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at vocus (now Cision) are great, you will undoubtedly make some great friends there that will be able to help you out in your day to day.

There's a great onsite gym, fitness classes, free soda, coffee and tea and the office itself is very interesting.

The work culture is work hard play hard but since the "merger" it's become less that than work hard stress out about your job hard

Cons

Where to start? So back in July vocus was purchased by a private equity firm named GTCR and they bought a competitor of vocus' called cision. They have since "merged" the two into what they want to call a powerhouse in the PR software sector, and for the Cision side I'm sure that's true.

Essentially Gtcr purchased vocus for their software and not their people. There have been massive layoffs and there is a tension in the air that is palpable. Everyone (even top performers) are constantly stressed out about their jobs. The reason behind this is because vocus employees are, on the whole, paid more than Cision employees and thus they are trying to slowly phase them out in one way or another to save on cost.

With the recent "merger" avenues for advancement have severely dried up. You may get promoted once while working at vocus (IE if someone quits or gets fired) but don't expect to make it close to a management level if those are your aspirations.

Right now the company is focused on saving money and getting through this merger as quick as possible. Upper management is nowhere near in touch with the ground level employees and that needs to change.

Think of people first, I understand this is a business but morale is low and people are scared. The overall ambiguity of the situation is incredibly stressful so try and create some certainty about people's livelihoods.

Good product, terrible culture

Current Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Cision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cision in Beltsville has a great office with a new gym, workout classes, and a casual environment. The newly combined PR product has a bright future and will definitely continue to lead the PR space.

Cons

This company has turned into a mess ever since the Vocus/Cision merger. Although one would expect some hiccups during a transitionary time, efficiency and morale could not be lower. Very minimal communication is present beyond the executive level, which creates a very frustrating environment for everyone else. Pay and sales structures have also been changed which makes it more difficult to hit sales quotas.

Follow through on your initial priority to create and maintain a positive culture. Collect input from your employees to create a better environment. If morale doesn't improve, there are plenty of other jobs in DC and Chicago for your employees to go to. Unfortunately, everyone is seemingly interviewing to go elsewhere.

I'm fairly new but really like it so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cision

Pros

Very laid back environment, no micromanagment, I really like the people. Awesome work/life balance.

Cons

Software needs a lot of work

Work on development

Not the place to be if you're looking for a career

I have been working at Cision

Pros

Flexible hours, summer hours, fruit, fooda

Cons

No vision or strategy; people are considered to be disposable ... particularly in sales. New office isn't easily accessible.

Media Researcher

Current Employee - Media Researcher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Media Researcher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Balanced work and home life.

Cons

Terrible pay and poor management.

Production Technician

Current Employee - Production Technician in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Cision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This was in 2009 - I still argue that my manager was the best manager I ever had. Very supportive, even in an environment where there was no opportunity for growth. The health care was also fantastic. When I went into early labor at my desk the whole team rallied to finish my work for me for that day *we had a quota to fill.

Cons

I knew at the time there was not room for growth in the production department and they pay was just above living wage. My manager was clear about that, but if you don't have an awesome manager like I had, this is good to know.

Find somewhere else to work. No seriously.

I have been working at Cision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome & the PTO time is good.

Cons

Lack of structured leadership. There is no room for substantial growth in Client Service department. Company values only the sales organization, and the recent acquisition has completely torn apart solid departments and caused low employee morale.

Appear more put together. Employees need a structure to lean on. Listen to your employees when they voice their unhappiness. They will not stick around.

Great people/atmosphere but lots of cons

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere with really friendly people, I made plenty of friends at Cision.
    Work/life balance is unbelievably great with a ton of PTO days and no long hours.

Cons

No room for growth, the company is essentially all sales people with a small management team.
    You're selling a mediocre software program that has constant tech issues, often leaving you to deal with many unhappy clients.
    Your success in sales can sometimes solely depend on luck. I saw great sales people do terrible at Cision and terrible sales people do great at Cision.

Invest more in the actual product, CisionPoint and your media monitoring solutions need a big time upgrade